Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
Rochette got a pity bronze

So you're saying Chan didn't deserve to win 2011 Worlds and Rochette didn't deserve to beat Mirai. Typical Anti-Canadian. :rolleye:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Joanie couldn't resist the cute statement which actually described the situation well. But the timing and the public nature make her seem somewhat insensitive.

Agree. She didn't exactly claim the silver platter herself when Mao served it up, and she left out a 2A and stepped out of her 3F.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
also the upcomers have more stable quads and more complete packaging
you have a 19 year old Yuzu who will be trying to defend his oGM in 2018, Han Yan, show man Jason, Max Aaron etc.

Who are you referring to? Chan was one of the only skaters to land a quad in the men's SP and FS.

caelum

On the Ice
Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. :sarcasm:

Just because something is factual, doesn't make it acceptable. Here is a test for whether was you are saying is appropriate - can you say it to their face? Would Joannie ever have the gall to walk up to Patrick, the moment he stepped off the ice, and say:

"Patrick, you were given gold on a silver platter, but you took the tray"

Would she say that? Maybe, perhaps Joannie is a horrible person, I don't know, but her comment was nasty and it's ridiculous to defend it because "it's accurate."

Imagine if we applied this accuracy standard to the real world:

Your friend studied endlessly for that college final and bombed it because they were nervous - "Well, you only have yourself to blame, you should control your nerves."

Your sister got a horrible haircut - response: "you look awful"

Your father lost out on a promotion - response "you should have worked harder."

All of these might be true, but none of them should be said.

vegarin

On the Ice
Agree. She didn't exactly claim the silver platter herself when Mao served it up, and she left out a 2A and stepped out of her 3F.

To be fair to Joannie, Mao also landed two rarified 3A before that, so it's not as of Mao was that easy to beat. And Joannie wasn't as much a strong contender as Chan was, so she was not necessarily in Chan's shoe in 2010 - maybe more like Dennis, looking at Hanyu/Chan-esque Yuna/Mao at the time.

Sometimes it is bad timing. If the Olympics was at 2011, then Chan would've peaked at the right time. Oh well.

Would Joannie ever have the gall to walk up to Patrick, the moment he stepped off the ice, and say:

"Patrick, you were given gold on a silver platter, but you took the tray"

Actually, she just might, if they were good friends:

"Patrick, I could just go upside your head! They gave you the gold on a silver tray but you took the tray!"

As for little sister's haircut, best to say, "No, dear" as you reach for the shears. :)

Angela V

Rinkside
they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
Rochette got a pity bronze

Absolute BS.

amateur

Final Flight
It is a pretty funny/witty statement though! (I say this as a big Patrick fan, as disappointed/empathetic for him as anyone).
I almost imagine that he'd be the type to come around and say something similar about himself, some time later..
And it's not as though she is phoning him up an giving him that kind of taunt (or is she?, haha), or trashing him publicly in an interview on Canadian National TV news, or something. It's heat-of-the-moment sports commentary, emotional, venting, arrrggghhhh! type of moment.

noskates

Record Breaker
I really feel sorry for Patrick. I know many - including a lot here - pan him for his comments but I wonder how many of them have mean intent or if he just doesn't think before he speaks. We all know people like that and there are many, including Joannie apparently who should have kept her mouth shut, who have the same hoof in mouth disease. Patrick did blow it - but it bothers me that someone who falls and has a bad skate can still win the gold medal. Personally I find Patrick's skating more pleasing than Hanyu's. He doesn't have good posture, he doesn't have a good line, but he has big jumps. And he won.

It is what it is - like someone said up thread. I'm sure he feels terrible.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
So is Patrick retiring?

I would guess he is. He has talked many times about wanting to go to school and do other things, and how if he medaled in Vancouver (not even the gold) he wouldnt have even continued past 2010. Now with 2 Olympic medals I would be stunned if he continued. Plus he would be 28 by the next Olympics which would be pretty old and he would be highly unlikely to be a contender by then.

Chan did deserve to win the 2011 Worlds. 2012 and 2013 were both a huge farce and historic embarassment to the sport though, and yes if there is such a thing as karma you are probably right.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would guess he is. He has talked many times about wanting to go to school and do other things, and how if he medaled in Vancouver (not even the gold) he wouldnt have even continued past 2010. Now with 2 Olympic medals I would be stunned if he continued. Plus he would be 28 by the next Olympics which would be pretty old and he would be highly unlikely to be a contender by then.

Chan did deserve to win the 2011 Worlds. 2012 and 2013 were both a huge farce and historic embarassment to the sport though, and yes if there is such a thing as karma you are probably right.

What an (expectedly) nasty comment. The judges are the ones marking him... "karma" isn't him performing poorly or succumbing to somebody who wins with 2 falls.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I will say few in history deserved a world title more than chan in 2011!!

But he had errors and It bit him bad along with hanyu 2 quads and 2 3a

About rochette i am sure she is just reflecting frustration

amateur

Final Flight
I will also add, for those saying that "this type of thing should not be said", that people from Quebec, as Joannie is, tend to be a little less concerned about being P.C. They tend to say what's on their minds a little more freely.

vegarin

On the Ice
I will say few in history deserved a world title more than chan in 2011!!

Yes, and I hope Canadian media gets that -- so far, they seem neutral to sympathetic. Sometimes it's hard to explain to casual FS viewers that jumps are very very hard, and while I'm sure the pressure and the nerves don't help, even the best of the best can't always nail difficult jumps, not even under perfect conditions. If it was that easy to do, everyone would be doing it.

sowcow

On the Ice
She said this on twitter in French, here's the translated version:

He had gold on a silver platter. Instead he took the tray

I wonder if there will be any backlash against her, or if people will gang up on Chan?

Do you have the original French tweet?

Technically that may be an accurate 'literal' translation; but the French do love their word-play and nuances!

It almost sounds like it could be a coined French expression; in which case the translated version may be adding negative sentiment that was never there to begin with ...

Steve

aftertherain

Record Breaker
She is getting a lot of backlash now. Canadians were very supportive of her in 2010 when her mom died. Now she's the first to stab the knife in Chan's back when he failed.

No, she's not.

It's almost as if you want some drama and backlash to happen.

bellafurr

On the Ice
The only backlash and ganging up on them will be on this board as usual as you can see its already started. No Patrick Chan wont be mad at Joanne and nobody will gang up on Patrick. What in heavens name is the matter with you people.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. :sarcasm: The fact of the matter is with Yuzuru's sub par performance today, that gold medal was on the platter for Chan to take and he didn't take it.

Yeah, pretty much. As I said in the men's FP thread, she isn't saying anything Patrick can't see perfectly well for himself, and I doubt he's hurt by it. I really have a hard time understanding some of the tongue-clucking on here over rather innocent things, including some of the things Patrick himself has said, such as this:

Didn't Chan saying something after Honyu beat him at the GP final to the effect that he let him win because the Olympics was more important? I like Chan's skating but he is so arrogant that I am glad he denied himself the chance to grab the gold. The thought of that ego running amok for the next four years until someone else won Oly gold was sickening. Pride in what you do is one thing, thinking you are hot s**t is another.

What Chan had said there sounds like perfectly good natured ribbing to me, the kind you'd see in most other sports, and some people reacted as if he was being terribly insulting and rude. I don't get it.

Actually, she just might, if they were good friends:

"Patrick, I could just go upside your head! They gave you the gold on a silver tray but you took the tray!"

Yeah, I could see it, too. *shrug*. But I also don't agree with the general premise that we should never say anything online that you wouldn't say in a direct conversation with someone. Sports journalism, other news articles, forums, etc. is full of things that might not be said to someone's face. There's no need to be unnecessarily cruel, but I think it would be pretty dull if we all limited ourselves to what we'd say in a polite conversation with someone.

vegarin

On the Ice
What Chan had said there sounds like perfectly good natured ribbing to me, the kind you'd see in most other sports, and some people reacted as if he was being terribly insulting and rude. I don't get it.

Me, neither. I can see why he may seem like he has a foot-in-the-mouth syndrome to some, but he doesn't seem to have any guile, either, so I like him for that. Plus, I've heard of the stories of people meeting him and he was perfectly lovely and humble.

It's funny how, now that he hasn't won the gold, I can actually profess my liking for him on this board without feeling like I may be ostracized for it.