Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    So is Patrick retiring?
    I would guess he is. He has talked many times about wanting to go to school and do other things, and how if he medaled in Vancouver (not even the gold) he wouldnt have even continued past 2010. Now with 2 Olympic medals I would be stunned if he continued. Plus he would be 28 by the next Olympics which would be pretty old and he would be highly unlikely to be a contender by then.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
    Chan did deserve to win the 2011 Worlds. 2012 and 2013 were both a huge farce and historic embarassment to the sport though, and yes if there is such a thing as karma you are probably right.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I would guess he is. He has talked many times about wanting to go to school and do other things, and how if he medaled in Vancouver (not even the gold) he wouldnt have even continued past 2010. Now with 2 Olympic medals I would be stunned if he continued. Plus he would be 28 by the next Olympics which would be pretty old and he would be highly unlikely to be a contender by then.

Chan did deserve to win the 2011 Worlds. 2012 and 2013 were both a huge farce and historic embarassment to the sport though, and yes if there is such a thing as karma you are probably right.
    What an (expectedly) nasty comment. The judges are the ones marking him... "karma" isn't him performing poorly or succumbing to somebody who wins with 2 falls.

Custom Title
    I will say few in history deserved a world title more than chan in 2011!!

But he had errors and It bit him bad along with hanyu 2 quads and 2 3a

About rochette i am sure she is just reflecting frustration

Custom Title
    I will also add, for those saying that "this type of thing should not be said", that people from Quebec, as Joannie is, tend to be a little less concerned about being P.C. They tend to say what's on their minds a little more freely.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I will say few in history deserved a world title more than chan in 2011!!
    Yes, and I hope Canadian media gets that -- so far, they seem neutral to sympathetic. Sometimes it's hard to explain to casual FS viewers that jumps are very very hard, and while I'm sure the pressure and the nerves don't help, even the best of the best can't always nail difficult jumps, not even under perfect conditions. If it was that easy to do, everyone would be doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    She said this on twitter in French, here's the translated version:

He had gold on a silver platter. Instead he took the tray
    I wonder if there will be any backlash against her, or if people will gang up on Chan?

Do you have the original French tweet?

Technically that may be an accurate 'literal' translation; but the French do love their word-play and nuances!

It almost sounds like it could be a coined French expression; in which case the translated version may be adding negative sentiment that was never there to begin with ...

Steve

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    She is getting a lot of backlash now. Canadians were very supportive of her in 2010 when her mom died. Now she's the first to stab the knife in Chan's back when he failed.
    No, she's not.

It's almost as if you want some drama and backlash to happen.

Custom Title
    The only backlash and ganging up on them will be on this board as usual as you can see its already started. No Patrick Chan wont be mad at Joanne and nobody will gang up on Patrick. What in heavens name is the matter with you people.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. The fact of the matter is with Yuzuru's sub par performance today, that gold medal was on the platter for Chan to take and he didn't take it.
    Yeah, pretty much. As I said in the men's FP thread, she isn't saying anything Patrick can't see perfectly well for himself, and I doubt he's hurt by it. I really have a hard time understanding some of the tongue-clucking on here over rather innocent things, including some of the things Patrick himself has said, such as this:

Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    Didn't Chan saying something after Honyu beat him at the GP final to the effect that he let him win because the Olympics was more important? I like Chan's skating but he is so arrogant that I am glad he denied himself the chance to grab the gold. The thought of that ego running amok for the next four years until someone else won Oly gold was sickening. Pride in what you do is one thing, thinking you are hot s**t is another.
    What Chan had said there sounds like perfectly good natured ribbing to me, the kind you'd see in most other sports, and some people reacted as if he was being terribly insulting and rude. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Actually, she just might, if they were good friends:

"Patrick, I could just go upside your head! They gave you the gold on a silver tray but you took the tray!"
    Yeah, I could see it, too. *shrug*. But I also don't agree with the general premise that we should never say anything online that you wouldn't say in a direct conversation with someone. Sports journalism, other news articles, forums, etc. is full of things that might not be said to someone's face. There's no need to be unnecessarily cruel, but I think it would be pretty dull if we all limited ourselves to what we'd say in a polite conversation with someone.

What Chan had said there sounds like perfectly good natured ribbing to me, the kind you'd see in most other sports, and some people reacted as if he was being terribly insulting and rude. I don't get it.
    Me, neither. I can see why he may seem like he has a foot-in-the-mouth syndrome to some, but he doesn't seem to have any guile, either, so I like him for that. Plus, I've heard of the stories of people meeting him and he was perfectly lovely and humble.

It's funny how, now that he hasn't won the gold, I can actually profess my liking for him on this board without feeling like I may be ostracized for it.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. The fact of the matter is with Yuzuru's sub par performance today, that gold medal was on the platter for Chan to take and he didn't take it.
    This. I really don't understand the backlash she has received. She just acknowledged what happened.

And it's not like she has done so in a deliberately mean and nasty way.

Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    Me, neither. I can see why he may seem like he has a foot-in-the-mouth syndrome to some, but he doesn't seem to have any guile, either, so I like him for that. Plus, I've heard of the stories of people meeting him and he was perfectly lovely and humble.

It's funny how, now that he hasn't won the gold, I can actually profess my liking for him on this board without feeling like I may be ostracized for it.
    Yes, I can almost feel the vitriol for Chan seeping out of here like air from a leaky balloon...

He seems like a perfectly likeable, down-to-earth guy to me, too. I'm sure he, of all people, would forgive someone else for being blunt.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I really feel sorry for Patrick. I know many - including a lot here - pan him for his comments but I wonder how many of them have mean intent or if he just doesn't think before he speaks. We all know people like that and there are many, including Joannie apparently who should have kept her mouth shut, who have the same hoof in mouth disease. Patrick did blow it - but it bothers me that someone who falls and has a bad skate can still win the gold medal. Personally I find Patrick's skating more pleasing than Hanyu's. He doesn't have good posture, he doesn't have a good line, but he has big jumps. And he won.

It is what it is - like someone said up thread. I'm sure he feels terrible.

I totally agree with this - yes, in the end he was human and he screwed up - BUT overall, I too enjoy his skating more than Hanyu's. Chan is much more mature, his flow and musical interpretation are incredible. Hanyu also screwed up badly and actually fell a couple of times. No one had a really great skate which is a shame. I was really hoping for a better competition all around. Maybe there is just too much pressure being put on these skaters.

just my opinion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
    Rochette got a pity bronze
    Bad Karma - if anything Chan deserved good karma. It is the system and I do wonder with all this misudnerstanding of the COP system and people whining about pcs if Chan got unfairly penalized. Remember excellent transitions not only affect pcs but goes on jumps and such as more difficult entries and exits are part of goes. That being said Chan and Hanyu did well and I still wish they both got gold and the others nothing as they were not in the same league and there were tonnes of deserving bronze medals (maybe not on the skate but for many reasons Joubert -so close so long, Fernandez - I do not think he is of the same level of Chan or Hanyu. If karma were to equal out then V and M would get gold in dance but I doubt it D and W have this in the bag. I like Hanyu a lot but I do hope someone else gets the gold next time = he was lucky. But Joannie was not a pity bronze she almost won silver - she had the most difficult programs in respect to transitions and such and she wasa one of the few ladies who did all the triples everyone else usually didn't try one form of a triple (other than the axel). But - oh never mind I see who I am eplying too now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by princess116 View Post
    I totally agree with this - yes, in the end he was human and he screwed up - BUT overall, I too enjoy his skating more than Hanyu's. Chan is much more mature, his flow and musical interpretation are incredible. Hanyu also screwed up badly and actually fell a couple of times. No one had a really great skate which is a shame. I was really hoping for a better competition all around. Maybe there is just too much pressure being put on these skaters.

just my opinion.
    Now all those posters who complained about chanflation if they are being fair should be saying Hanyuflation - he fell so how did he win. I hope Evan isn't getting too smug because he couldn't compete with these boys or their techincal skills or pcs. And while reporters keep syaing he might have come back but if the injuries - really do we beleive this?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast