Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 110

Thread: Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

  1. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. The fact of the matter is with Yuzuru's sub par performance today, that gold medal was on the platter for Chan to take and he didn't take it.

    Joannie's situation was different b/c she had no shot at winning gold but she did have a shot at bronze and she delivered enough to win that. Some people don't like to hear the truth b/c it hurts but the truth is after the way Yuzuru skated in the FS, it was Chan's gold medal to lose and he lost it.
    Joannie actually had a good shot at silver. Had she not had one of her two big mistakes in the LP she would have beaten Mao who also had two big mistakes but 3 triple axels to give her the edge. Remember she lost silver by something like less than 3 points. Given the circumstances though it is hard to fault her for that though.

    Going into Vancouver Mao was no lock for the silver ahead of Miki, Joannie, and Carolina though based on her showing at the 2009 Worlds and skating that season, and she in fact pulled off an amazing competition in Vancouver all things considered.

  2. #47
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,224
    Quote Originally Posted by sowcow View Post
    Do you have the original French tweet?

    Technically that may be an accurate 'literal' translation; but the French do love their word-play and nuances!

    It almost sounds like it could be a coined French expression; in which case the translated version may be adding negative sentiment that was never there to begin with ...

    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    Nobody is talking about her follow up tweets after that, where she says only really nice things about Patrick.
    Have not read the whole thread.
    Here is the original tweet in French from ‏@JoannieRochette, plus three of her many subsequent tweets.
    Be sure to read the last one copied and pasted below.

    Il avait l'or sur un plateau d'argent. Il a pris le plateau.

    For the English speakers, my last tweet was a word game in French. I am 100% behind Patrick and wanted him to win so badly. So proud of him!

    ... I am happy he won silver, just sad for him he lost gold, he is a 3-time world champion.

    Just talked to Patrick. He understands it was not rude and that's all that matters. I'm sorry it offended some of you.
    2:19 PM - 14 Feb 2014 from Адлер, Sotji
    https://twitter.com/JoannieRochette/...51833306624000

  3. #48
    Custom Title Rachmaninoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    593
    ^ What a TERRIBLE RUDE PERSON.

    Seriously, I hope that ends this particular drama. There's enough of it elsewhere.

  4. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    No, she's not.

    It's almost as if you want some drama and backlash to happen.
    What are you talking about? She got negative tweets back and was starting to backtrack on her statement.

  5. #50
    Custom Title Rachmaninoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    What are you talking about? She got negative tweets back and was starting to backtrack on her statement.
    How was she "backtracking"? She was explaining her intentions to people who were reading all kinds of weird crap into what she said. Nothing she said contradicted anything she said before.

  6. #51
    Tripping on the Podium sowcow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Que
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Have not read the whole thread.
    Here is the original tweet in French from ‏@JoannieRochette, plus three of her many subsequent tweets.
    Be sure to read the last one copied and pasted below.
    Il avait l'or sur un plateau d'argent. Il a pris le plateau.
    For the English speakers, my last tweet was a word game in French. I am 100% behind Patrick and wanted him to win so badly. So proud of him!
    ... I am happy he won silver, just sad for him he lost gold, he is a 3-time world champion.
    Just talked to Patrick. He understands it was not rude and that's all that matters. I'm sorry it offended some of you.
    2:19 PM - 14 Feb 2014 from Адлер, Sotji
    https://twitter.com/JoannieRochette/...51833306624000

    Yes ... it is a fairly common Québécois saying.

    My French is not terrific, but I believe it to be a fairly tongue-in-cheek word-play (so it is certainly possible the tweet was not sent in malice):

    "The gold was served on a silver platter; and he took the platter"

    Nevertheless, it was definitely a poor choice of words! (...and it reads as bad or worse in English!)

    Cheers,
    Steve

  7. #52
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by sowcow View Post
    Yes ... it is a fairly common Québécois saying.

    My French is not terrific, but I believe it to be a fairly tongue-in-cheek word-play (so it is certainly possible the tweet was not sent in malice):

    "The gold was served on a silver platter; and he took the platter"

    Nevertheless, it was definitely a poor choice of words! (...and it reads as bad or worse in English!)

    Cheers,
    Steve
    I don't see what's wrong with it, she was commentating. I think its a cool word choice, and she'd make a good commentator. He didn't deliver but he has the silver and that's good. It doesn't make him a bad person though or a bad skater.

  8. #53
    Tripping on the Podium sowcow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Que
    Posts
    53
    .
    I was just searching the web to see how accurate (or not) my translation was ... and came across this Yahoo article:
    It seems the Yahoo writer was less forgiving than I was to give Joannie the benefit of the doubt...
    .

  9. #54
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,224
    Quote Originally Posted by sowcow View Post
    .
    I was just searching the web to see how accurate (or not) my translation was ... and came across this Yahoo article:
    It seems the Yahoo writer was less forgiving than I was to give Joannie the benefit of the doubt...
    .
    I agree with Rochette's comment in the fourth tweet that I copied above. It does not matter what anyone other than Chan thinks. And Chan did not find the tweet rude.

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

    Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
    Rochette got a pity bronze
    Only two were undeserved. As for Rochette, the bronze could've gone either way.

  11. #56
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,224
    @JoannieRochette tweeted a cute photo of a smiling Chan and herself:
    Have I said how proud I am of @Pchiddy and his olympic silver medal? #Sotchi2014 #nocontroversyatall pic.twitter.com/Tys3CvoaPp
    6:31 PM - 14 Feb 2014 from Адлер, Sotji
    https://twitter.com/JoannieRochette/...15252311752704

  12. #57
    Riveted vegarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    372
    Okay, that photo is cute.

    Also, Joannie is hot. There, I said it.

  13. #58
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    Okay, that photo is cute.

    Also, Joannie is hot. There, I said it.
    isn't she though! She looks a million times better now than when she was competing, when she was sporting flatironed hair, drag queen makeup and monster shoulders.

  14. #59
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,609
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Only two were undeserved. As for Rochette, the bronze could've gone either way.
    Well I think Sale and Pelletier at least had one undeserved win or world title. And S squared also arguably had many big titles given to them unfairly. Carolina is like the gifted girl many a times while unwarranted. Scott Hamilton arguably was an undersving gold medallist at olympics. Joannie was hardly a pity bronze her programs ere the most intricate/difficult and she had all her triples and power and ampllitude. besides Mirai really did not interpret Carmen - shes kated it as another Disney song like Beauty and the beast. her jumps while cleaner overall did not have the amplited or the entrances and exits of Rochette which are key for Goe's. Bad karma then should go to maybe Davis and white who have been unable to capture the passion or a tango yet always did well and does well. Bad karma should go to Dai and Ashley and Plushy for being put on their teams with huge issues, Witt deserved bad karma but was a lucky girl even in 1994 when somehow everyone else fell and she did respectively well.

  15. #60
    Custom Title EricRohmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    206
    It saddens me that after the historical skates at TEB Chan rode a little downward curve(although I think 13GPF gold is Chan‘s, IMO). I wonder if he was dealing with a small injury.

    I wanted Chan to win OG because I thought without it he might be in danger of being underrated.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •