Will Korea try to get Denis Ten for 2018? | Golden Skate

Will Korea try to get Denis Ten for 2018?

daphna

On the Ice
I think it's more than realistic that Korea will try to get Denis to compete for them in 2018. He is part of the Korean minority in Kazakstan, with rich pro-independence for Korea history in his family. Plus, he will be only 24. It'll probably be very easy for him to gain citizenship. This could become really interesting, IMO.

Would that be something? Then if Yuna Kim could be persuaded to come back on more time… :yes:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think it's more than realistic that Korea will try to get Denis to compete for them in 2018. He is part of the Korean minority in Kazakstan, with rich pro-independence for Korea history in his family. Plus, he will be only 24. It'll probably very easy for him to gain citizenship. This could become really interesting, IMO.

No. Denis Ten is already a hero in Kazakhstan after winning silver in Worlds last year
he had banquet attended by President of Kazakhstan Mr. Nazarbayev
now he won bronze in the Olympics, he will be like a national hero

chances of representing Korea = negative
plus Kazakhstan is already rich in oil ;)

s_parks

Record Breaker
No. He is successful and doing fine in Kazakhstan and going to Korea would be a major downgrade. They have poor support for their athletes compared to others to be honest.

thinspread

On the Ice
I think it's more than realistic that Korea will try to get Denis to compete for them in 2018. He is part of the Korean minority in Kazakstan, with rich pro-independence for Korea history in his family. Plus, he will be only 24. It'll probably be very easy for him to gain citizenship. This could become really interesting, IMO.

I hope not. He's a very well respected athlete and beloved citizen in Kazakhstan. He is ethnically Korean, but even his parents are not Korean natives. And I've read that he is promoting figure skating in his country and had a successful ice show of his own there last year.

To this Korean fan, it's a tempting idea you're presenting, since he's a young and accomplished skater. But he's on a right track already, and I don't feel he would be happier as a person or get better support from the Korean fed if he become a naturalized Korean.

VirMo

On the Ice
Three letters - LOL. Korea doesn't support figure skaters at all.. I doubt they would go out of their way to recruit him nor Ten will accept the offer. Yuna's medals are hers, not Korea's.

vegarin

On the Ice
Would that be something? Then if Yuna Kim could be persuaded to come back on more time… :yes:

Ahahaha. I love her, but I really hope not. Let the girl retire. I'd wager she has had more than enough of all of this.

(But sadly, I can see that happening. :()

ANW

On the Ice
IIRC, he doesn't speak Korean, so I don't think he has much connection with South Korea to begin with.

btw, there are quite some ethnic Korean or Chinese living in central Asia for centuries, they are not really the new transplants as we may think here.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Although it would be good for Korea, I doubt he'll go since if he becomes a citizen of S.Korea he will be required to enlist. He would only be exempted if he earns Gold at Asian games or any medal at the Olympics.

ivy

On the Ice
IIRC correctly singles switching countries have to take 2 years off before representing their new country. Not a good plan for him I'd say

Robeye

Final Flight
Realism aside, that scenario would certainly put the fear of God into more than a few Team Event contenders. :laugh:

And if Korea could steal a decent pairs or dance team from some country with an excess of bounty (hey, Russia, how about a large transfer fee for Ilinykh and Katsalapov? :biggrin:), you'd have an instant gold medal contender right there!

Where did that come from? He has no ties to Korea other than family history.

It would also make absolutely zero sense. Kazakh athletes - at least at his level - get incredible support from the government.

Realism aside, that scenario would certainly put the fear of God into more than a few Team Event contenders. :laugh:

And if Korea could steal a decent pairs or dance team from some country with an excess of bounty (hey, Russia, how about a large transfer fee for Ilinykh and Katsalapov? :biggrin:), you'd have an instant gold medal contender right there!

South Korea has a very decent Junior Ice Dance team and a potentially promising Senior Ice Dance team. They should be fine by 2018. A pair program is what they need now.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't think he will country hop! South Korea is getting so much from Kim Yuna. He would be in her shadow and be nothing. Even retired Kim Yuna will be a million Michelle Kwans in South Korea. And that's what Yuna is to South Korea. A million Michelle Kwans.

vegarin

On the Ice
South Korea has a very decent Junior Ice Dance team and a potentially promising Senior Ice Dance team. They should be fine by 2018. A pair program is what they need now.

Hee, also realism aside, I would like to see this. Assemble your best team skate member ever.

Robeye

Final Flight
Where did that come from? He has no ties to Korea other than family history.

It would also make absolutely zero sense. Kazakh athletes - at least at his level - get incredible support from the government.

Aren't there rumors that Savchenko is looking for a partner? ;)

Be aggressive and bold, Korea! :laugh:

(J/K, of course)

South Korea has very promising Junior Ladies, fairly promising Junior Men, a promising Junior Dance team. So they have a realistic chance of qualifying to the Team Event in four years if 10 teams remain.

I don't know if he's still there by they hired Astashev to develop their Ice Dance program. I hope that somebody is working on Pairs as well.