Thread: Future of the top 10 finishers from the 2014 Olympics by discipline

Custom Title

Future of the top 10 finishers from the 2014 Olympics by discipline

OK this is a thread to go down the top 10 finishers in each discipline from these Olympics and project what you think they will do. Which will even go to Worlds, which will continue past this season, and which will continue all the way to 2018 (or beyond). Here would be my projections at the moment:

Pairs:

1. Voloszhar & Trankov- I think they will stick to their current plan of doing 2014 and 2015 Worlds, taking almost 2 years off, coming back for the 2017 Worlds, 2018 Olympics, and 2018 Worlds.

2. Stolobova & Klimov- Definitely going for 2018 and going for Gold there.

3. Savchenko & Szolkowy- I think he is done. I will be surprised if they even go to Worlds. She might continue with a new partner it seems now though.

4. Pang & Tong- Done.

5. Moore-Towers & Moscovitch- Going to try for 2018 I think.

6. Barazova & Larionov- See them going to about 2016, then retiring as they fall further down the Russian heirarchy. Might get a World medal in 2016 if V&T dont compete though.

7. Duhamel & Radford- I see her retiring and him looking for a new partner.

8. Cheng & Hao- Definitely in for 2018.

9. Castelli & Shnapir- Will take it year by year.

10. James & Cipres- Will take it year by year.

Men:

1. Hanyu- Definitely going for 2018 and probably beyond.

2. Chan- I always guessed he would retire if he even won an Olympic medal, but might continue if he somehow missed again. He won 2 so I doubt we will see him again, but might go to Worlds.

3. Ten- Continuing but might be forced to retire before 2018 by chronic injuries.

4. Fernandez- For sure continuing for 2018.

5. Machida- Will try for 2018.

6. Takahashi- Done. Might go to final Worlds.

7. Han- Definitely going on.

8. Liebers- Dont know much about him to be honest.

9. Brown- Continuing for sure, long career ahead.

10. Brezina- take it year by year, might not make it to 2018.

I'll play

1. Voloszhar & Trankov- I think they will stick do 2014 and 2015 Worlds. After that I think it will depend on where they want their personal lives to go. She has not been quiet about her desire to have a child. I see a few possibilities being equally valid, including their retiring after 2015, their competing every season this next quad, and their doing what pangtongfan suggests and taking a few years off to come back for 2017 and 2018. To me, toss up.

2. Stolobova & Klimov- Definitely going for 2018. Medal contenders there and for the years in between if they can remain consistent.

3. Savchenko & Szolkowy- I boldly predict they will actually go to Worlds this year AND compete next season then retire.

4. Pang & Tong- Done.

5. Moore-Towers & Moscovitch- Will go to 2018 unless his body forces him to retire. If they can keep improving, serious medal contenders there and in every year after next one.

6. Barazova & Larionov- Entirely depends on whether the junior talent in Russia can actually transition successfully to the senior level and also on if V/T do retire or not. If they can remain in the Russia #3 slot or above they will continue to 2018. If not they may retire. Worth noting that in the VERY unlikely case that she can get her SBS jumps together (and they can start doing them in unison) they should be able to stay in the Russia top 3, but I don't see this SBS jump transformation happening this late in their career.

7. Duhamel & Radford- I see both retiring around 2016.

8. Cheng & Hao- I think he will stick around another 4 years if his body holds up, and she will stick with him. If his body won't she will be found a new partner and be around in 2018 regardless.

9. Castelli & Shnapir- Will stick it out for the quad if their bodies hold up. If they didn't retire 2 years ago they won't now when some international success may be within their reach.

10. James & Cipres- Will be around for the next quad but will never break through past the second tier.

Men:

1. Hanyu- Definitely going for 2018 and probably beyond.

2. Chan- Will go to Worlds this year and then may take it year by year or retire depending on performances at worlds. If they are poor I think he will stick around 1 mors season at least for redemption.

3. Ten- Continuing to 2018.

4. Fernandez- Continuing for 2018.

5. Machida- Will try for 2018 but may or may not make it there.

6. Takahashi- Done. Will go to final Worlds.

7. Han- Definitely going on.

8. Liebers- Will continue now but take it year by year.

9. Brown- Continuing for sure, long career ahead.

10. Brezina- take it year by year, might not make it to 2018.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Castelli & Shnapir will surely stay in till 2016 when Worlds is in Boston.

#TeamAUS
    Let's have a try.

R= Retire
    Q= Retire in the next four years before the 2018 Olympics
    2018= Will compete in 2018
    2018+ = Will compete in 2018 and beyond

Pairs

1st Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov- Q
    (They are in the peak form of their careers now so maybe they can go on for a little longer but if the try and attempt to go to 2018, I can see Stolbova and Klimov overtaking them eventually.)

2nd Ksenia Stolbova & Fedor Klimov- 2018+
    (They are Russia's Future and they will be challenging for Gold in Pyongchang for sure)

3rd Aliona Savchenko & Robin Szolkowy- 2018/R
    (Aliona expressed her desire to continue with a new partner and Robin wants to retire. Knowing Aliona's grit, she will probably charge onwards to the next Olympics. I wonder which country she will represent? Maybe the Ukraine again?)

4th Qing Pang & Jain Tong- R
    (Their 'I Dreamed a Dream' Free Skate was the perfect curtain closer for their career. Now that are done now, they can finally get married !! )

5th Kirsten Moore-Towers & Dylan Moscovitch- 2018
    (They are at a top level now, but I think the best is yet to come from them. I can see them competing in Pyongchang for the podium, which would be a satisfying end to their careers.)

6th Vera Bazarova & Yuri Larionov- 2018
    (They will probably trudge on to 2018 BUT if they want to make the Olympics, she needs to jump!!! Those 2A's and the 3T were cheated and it's been going on for a while. However, if they get their act together, they will make the 2018 Olympics.)

7th Meagan Duhamel & Eric Radford- Q/2018
    (I can't really tell at the moment. It's amazing that they can still pull of 3Lz but it will be difficult to continue skating such technical programs in their 30s. They will be there next year but we will have to see where they go and how well Canadian Pairs are going.)

8th Cheng Peng & Hao Zhang- 2018 (+)
    (They expressed that they want to go on to 2018 and maybe further in an interview. IMO, 2018 for sure but maybe not 2022.)

9th Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir- 2018
    (I think we got something here. They have potential and it is obvious that their partnership has improved. Watch for their Th4S!)

10th Vanessa James & Morgan Cipres- 2018
    (They have potential to grow. They have improved astronomically in the last few years and they will for sure be trying to make the last two groups in 2018!)

Other notes: 11th place B/H- Q, 12th Z/B- 2018, 13th W/W- R, 14th L/S- 2018, 15th D/K 2018, 16th M/G 2018), 17th Z/K 2018+, 18th T/K 2018+, 19th K/K R, 20th L/R 2018

Custom Title
    Machida will retire after the 2014-15 season
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi201...5-1257792.html

Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Machida will retire after the 2014-15 season
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi201...5-1257792.html
    Wow, really? He's just hit his stride!

I'm not sure why anyone would think Duhamel would retire and not Radford..

Peter Liebers is 25 and seems to have just hit HIS stride. I can see him staying for another couple of seasons, or maybe all the way until 2018. Hey, Menshov is not retiring!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Wow, really? He's just hit his stride!

I'm not sure why anyone would think Duhamel would retire and not Radford.
    Since she has had a long career as a singles and pairs skater (so has he, but she has been striving for certain goals alot longer). She also has pretty much hit the limit of her potential as a skater. Being a World medalist and making it to the Olympics and doing well, I am not sure what else there is for her. I cant see her ever being a World Champion, she is just too sloppy a skater.

Custom Title
    Duhamel & Radford made it to the Olympics and participated in the Team Medal event, so they might retire after Worlds if they don't get back to the podium there. They finished well back of the Olympic podium, and 2 spots behind Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, so they are in danger of getting surpassed by their teammates as well as internationally.

But I think if one retires, the other one will, too. I don't see why Radford would continue. Very few people look for a new partner so late in a career when they are almost 30 unless they are really motivated to keep going.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Duhamel & Radford made it to the Olympics and participated in the Team Medal event, so they might retire after Worlds if they don't get back to the podium there. They finished well back of the Olympic podium, and 2 spots behind Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, so they are in danger of getting surpassed by their teammates as well as internationally.

But I think if one retires, the other one will, too. I don't see why Radford would continue. Very few people look for a new partner so late in a career when they are almost 30 unless they are really motivated to keep going.
    Will be interesting to see if you are right. I would miss Eric Radford as I like his skating. Meghan is a funny one since it is hard not to root for her as she is such a likeable person and took such a long road to get here, but her skating makes me cringe. She muscles everything, every technical element, every movement, and she is about the most unelegant top skater I have seen in any discipline ever.

Custom Title
    I would like to see Aliona form a pair team with Brain Joubert