Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lipnitskaya coach: Julia may try learning quads

Custom Title

News Lipnitskaya coach: Julia may try learning quads

(in Russian)

http://www.sovsport.md/sochi/texts/text-item/688973

She says Julia has enough height on triple toe to achieve. But they know every part of skating is important, so they don't want to pour all energy into one jump.

, she is great but this is absurd, it would more realistic about Adelina or Gracie

Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    , she is great but this is absurd, it would more realistic about Adelina or Gracie
    I dunno, she has a LOT of drive. Sasha Cohen was training a quad at one time and I don't think JuLip doing so would be MORE ridiculous than that. At a press confrence a few years ago her, gracie, and Adelina were all there and asked about trying triple axles. Gracie said she was trying them a little with a harness but they were still really scary or something to that effect. Adelina said something non specific that I don't remember. And then julia was like (VERY SERIOUSLY) "No, if I try a new jump it will be the quad toe" and everyone laughed. Evidently she was not trying to be funny.

Medalist
    They should pour all their energy into fixing the technique problems she has on her current jumps, the 3lz edge and the 2a spring to my mind for a start.

That would do for starters

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily call it absurd. It looks like she's more saying that if Julia wants to try it, they'll try. That it's possible, but not certain. And that she doesn't think the one jump is going to be the make-it-or-break-it situation.

I think there's no harm in Julia trying it in training. I mean, Liza Tuktamysheva's triple axel has been trained and caught on camera but never actually attempted in competition.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily call it absurd. It looks like she's more saying that if Julia wants to try it, they'll try. That it's possible, but not certain. And that she doesn't think the one jump is going to be the make-it-or-break-it situation.

I think there's no harm in Julia trying it in training. I mean, Liza Tuktamysheva's triple axel has been trained and caught on camera but never actually attempted in competition.
    That's exactly what this reminds me of. I still remember the incredible hype about Tuk's 3A (justified - the practice videos looked awesome), but apart from one Mishin training camp performance, the 3A has never materialized in any program/competition. Everybody was raving about how much better it was than Mao's, but it's been years since those videos and Mao remains the only person to put it in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I dunno, she has a LOT of drive. Sasha Cohen was training a quad at one time and I don't think JuLip doing so would be MORE ridiculous than that. At a press confrence a few years ago her, gracie, and Adelina were all there and asked about trying triple axles. Gracie said she was trying them a little with a harness but they were still really scary or something to that effect. Adelina said something non specific that I don't remember. And then julia was like (VERY SERIOUSLY) "No, if I try a new jump it will be the quad toe" and everyone laughed. Evidently she was not trying to be funny.
    May be, and Mao is not like Midori Ito and she even got a good triple axel.

Tripping on the Podium
    I am afraid that would mean more injuries.

I think that she should correct her 2a and 3lz technique before adding quad jumps...she can't rely on how fast she rotates in the air but not the height and distance especially after puberty...

Custom Title
    Enough height? She had the tiniest jumps of the final flight at the Olympics. She gets that 3-3 around somehow but she gives me the feeling that the moment she gets hips or breasts it's going to be over.

Otoh it would be cool to have girls jump quads. I think only Sasha and Miki Ando are known to have landed one (without harness)?

Yulia Lipnitskaya-san, Roshia! Rhodium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahy View Post
    I think that she should correct her 2a and 3lz technique before adding quad jumps...she can't rely on how fast she rotates in the air but not the height and distance especially after puberty...
    Etery just said: "I do not thing that we will try quads tomorrow. [...] Julia's main task today – to skate cleanly."

Coach of Adelina said that it is possible she will try quads.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Enough height? She had the tiniest jumps of the final flight at the Olympics. She gets that 3-3 around somehow but she gives me the feeling that the moment she gets hips or breasts it's going to be over.

Otoh it would be cool to have girls jump quads. I think only Sasha and Miki Ando are known to have landed one (without harness)?
    That is all I know of as well, and Cohen never landed it in competition just practice.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodium View Post
    Etery just said: "I do not thing that we will try quads tomorrow. [...] Julia's main task today – to skate cleanly."

Coach of Adelina said that it is possible she will try quads.
    That brings us back to what is classed as a clean skate! Standing up on all your jumps even if your 3lz is off the wrong edge! That to me is not a clean program. So as I said before work with what you got first and fix it!

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    That is all I know of as well, and Cohen never landed it in competition just practice.
    That's true only in practice did Sasha land a quad. Surya Bonaly had better attempts at quad in competition, when comparing with Sasha.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Colanboy View Post
    Mao remains the only person to put it in competition.
    Actually Miyabi Oba attempted a triple axel at the last Japan Nationals. UR and fall, but kudos for attempting it in competition... and she wasn't far off landing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    I think only Sasha and Miki Ando are known to have landed one (without harness)?
    I think Miki Ando remains the only woman to land a quad in competition?

It would be cool to see "progress" in ladies' jumps. No ladies attempting a quad for over 10 years, and apart from Asada - only Oba this year attempting a 3A. And I keep thinking if Lipnitskaya would just add some height to her 2A, instead of a little "skip"... surely she could easily make a 3A? Same for a quad - if she had more height, I bet she could make a 4T :-D

I agree that growth spurts may change everything - in fact I wondered if her low-height jumps were deliberate, and the result of some "smart" coaching, so she would be able to keep her jumps regardless of future growth. (As she grows, rotation speed will fall... and then she could start adding the "missing" height... and the extra time in the air would let her complete the slower rotations).

But meanwhile, if she can do a quad, I say go for it! For as long as you are able!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast