Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018?

gourry

Final Flight
Yuna kept the same attitude for a while after Vancouver. But in two years she changed her mind.

The difference is, at that time she never said that it was her last competition. She said she would rest and think about what to do next. The exact word 'retirement' was never mentioned by her. This time, she said time after time that the Sochi Olympics was her last competition and she's known to keep her words very well.

hurrah

Medalist
Why? I think she is really fed up with how the sport is run. When she came back this time in Sochi, I got the impression that she was no longer part of the problem, and that this was her own personal triumph and probably the best exist she could have made from the sport.

If she were to come back, she would again be made to be part of the problem, and even if she somehow miraculously weren't, she still wouldn't be able to outdo herself as an athlete.

junesong2

Rinkside
Why? I think she is really fed up with how the sport is run. When she came back this time in Sochi, I got the impression that she was no longer part of the problem, and that this was her own personal triumph and probably the best exist she could have made from the sport.

If she were to come back, she would again be made to be part of the problem, and even if she somehow miraculously weren't, she still wouldn't be able to outdo herself as an athlete.

What do you mean by "her being part ofthe problem"? I don't get it.

usethis2

Medalist
What do you mean by "her being part ofthe problem"? I don't get it.

She consistently maintained that judging, corruption, or even medal weren't in her interest, not one bit. She took the "Queen's Road" through and through. I think that is what hurrah means.

I think Yuna is entitled to a normal life. She had sacrificed her entire life for the beauty of skating. She's now a legend, along with Katarina Witt and Michelle Kwan. As much as I will miss her dearly, I cannot wish to hold her hostage forever. The girl should be able to eat what she wants, date who she wants, fart when she wants.

att

Rinkside
As much as I love her I think it's time for me to let her go..I don't want to see her being part of this whole corrupt judging system..She's too valuable for this.It's time for her to live the life she always wanted to..Live without any burden any worries.

anyanka

Record Breaker
She consistently maintained that judging, corruption, or even medal weren't in her interest, not one bit. She took the "Queen's Road" through and through. I think that is what hurrah means.

I think Yuna is entitled to a normal life. She had sacrificed her entire life for the beauty of skating. She's now a legend, along with Katarina Witt and Michelle Kwan. As much as I will miss her dearly, I cannot wish to hold her hostage forever. The girl should be able to eat what she wants, date who she wants, fart when she wants.

^ This. Perfect.

IF she wants to come back, or the KSU says to her "go get that gold back for our country!", she better take two full years off and then ruthlessly slay the B-levels, 4CCs and worlds in 2016/17, then compete fully on GP circuit the year after and pack her program with technical elements. I think she should even go back to Orser and make up with him, and put herself in his hands again. That man teaches skaters not just how to jump but how to compete, with the drive, determination and bloodthirsty hunger of a true champion, there is a difference (see also: Carroll, Fassi, Moskvina, Tarasova, all of them champion-makers). She lost her motivation after Orser, her magical 2013 worlds FS aside.

Otherwise, she'll likely be the queen of 2018 Olys just for being there. She will cut ribbons, welcome dignitaries, sip champagne with celebrities (and suddenly be photographed with George Clooney and appear on Page Six of the New York Post the morning after), sit with the Olympic family at the opening and closing ceremonies, and be the one non-competing athlete who everyone in the entire universe wants to take a picture with. She will be mobbed, she does not need to compete. And she'll be sitting right behind the judges at the ladies' free skate next to Witt and Kwan, whispering gossip amongst themselves while Adelina nervously warms up ...

kslr0816

On the Ice
^ This. Perfect.

IF she wants to come back, or the KSU says to her "go get that gold back for our country!", she better take two full years off and then ruthlessly slay the B-levels, 4CCs and worlds in 2016/17, then compete fully on GP circuit the year after and pack her program with technical elements. I think she should even go back to Orser and make up with him, and put herself in his hands again. That man teaches skaters not just how to jump but how to compete, with the drive, determination and bloodthirsty hunger of a true champion, there is a difference (see also: Carroll, Fassi, Moskvina, Tarasova, all of them champion-makers). She lost her motivation after Orser, her magical 2013 worlds FS aside.

Otherwise, she'll likely be the queen of 2018 Olys just for being there. She will cut ribbons, welcome dignitaries, sip champagne with celebrities (and suddenly be photographed with George Clooney and appear on Page Six of the New York Post the morning after), sit with the Olympic family at the opening and closing ceremonies, and be the one non-competing athlete who everyone in the entire universe wants to take a picture with. She will be mobbed, she does not need to compete. And she'll be sitting right behind the judges at the ladies' free skate next to Witt and Kwan, whispering gossip amongst themselves while Adelina nervously warms up ...

i think the latter lol.

anyanka

Record Breaker
i think the latter lol.

I want to be a fly on the wall where Katya and Michelle will debate over who should have won 2014 OGM since they had vastly different opinions on it, with Yuna sitting between them ... I would PAY to see this. Please make this happen.

BRASILwmr

Rinkside
I would like to see Yu-Na watching the competition off the track, she should rest. She will be a great ambassador and a reference for all the skaters in your country. She must work together to Korean team to send competitive skaters for events.

usethis2

Medalist
And she'll be sitting right behind the judges at the ladies' free skate next to Witt and Kwan, whispering gossip amongst themselves while Adelina nervously warms up ...

Oh, that picture would make my day - or year. Haha.

wootie

Match Penalty
I doubt it. She's already visibly over competitive skating. And who could blame her? She's been carrying around the weight of a nation for so many years...it must be so draining.

anyanka

Record Breaker
She posted this on her Facebook page today. Such an elegant interview, and great answers:

http://www.feverskating.com/fevers/64985230

I did note that going into Sochi, she didn't sound very motivated. I wonder if she knew she would not win this time. She sounds incredibly at peace, like she had accepted the result before she stepped onto the ice, and just wanted to put in a great skate. In the grand scheme of things, she probably realized she had accomplished so much and brought great honour to her country, that the result this time around didn't matter so much. It didn't count the way it did in Vancouver.

Yuna if you're reading this: thank you for everything you've done for the sport, for your country, for the fans and for yourself. Enjoy your retirement. We'll miss you. And we look forward to seeing you in 2018, we know you'll be there even if you're not competing.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I hope she comes back after taking the next 2 seasons off. Competing at Olympics in her own country would be too big of a thing to miss out on.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Never say never. She will be 27, the same age as Carolina Kostner, who most think should have won silver and some even think gold. I would love it if Yuna would work on her artistry. Not that it is bad, just that it could be better. For IJS experts, is there any way Yuna could do two triple-triples in her long program?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She posted this on her Facebook page today. Such an elegant interview, and great answers:

http://www.feverskating.com/fevers/64985230

I did note that going into Sochi, she didn't sound very motivated. I wonder if she knew she would not win this time. She sounds incredibly at peace, like she had accepted the result before she stepped onto the ice, and just wanted to put in a great skate. In the grand scheme of things, she probably realized she had accomplished so much and brought great honour to her country, that the result this time around didn't matter so much. It didn't count the way it did in Vancouver.

Yuna if you're reading this: thank you for everything you've done for the sport, for your country, for the fans and for yourself. Enjoy your retirement. We'll miss you. And we look forward to seeing you in 2018, we know you'll be there even if you're not competing.

You really find out a lot more about an athlete in defeat than you do in victory. Yuna has handled this really well. Great interview. Thanks for posting.