Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018?

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
I agree. Although she is tired and injured, she might feel much better in two years and feel good enough to enjoy home advantage in P'Chang.

Her skills from Vancouver to now haven't deteriorated at all, although she doesn't do the Biellman anymore. I really wouldn't be shocked if she wins gold in Pyeongchang

anyanka

Record Breaker
Never say never. She will be 27, the same age as Carolina Kostner, who most think should have won silver and some even think gold. I would love it if Yuna would work on her artistry. Not that it is bad, just that it could be better. For IJS experts, is there any way Yuna could do two triple-triples in her long program?

She needs different music, something anthemic and epic, that has more obvious emotional points of access. "Adios Nonino" was just too subtle, and incredibly hard to pull off. She did it, but it wasn't what one would term a "fist-pumper".

anyanka

Record Breaker
You really find out a lot more about an athlete in defeat than you do in victory. Yuna has handled this really well. Great interview. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome!

I think this was really a valedictory for her. And despite what we make of the result, her placing second to a young upstart may be symbolic of her passing the torch to the next generation of great skaters. Will Russia dominate the next quad or two the way Asia (mainly Kim and the Japanese) have been owning the field since 2006?

elif

Medalist
Never say never. She will be 27, the same age as Carolina Kostner, who most think should have won silver and some even think gold. I would love it if Yuna would work on her artistry. Not that it is bad, just that it could be better. For IJS experts, is there any way Yuna could do two triple-triples in her long program?

Not without 3Lo.

Mt. Adam

Match Penalty
I think this was really a valedictory for her. And despite what we make of the result, her placing second to a young upstart may be symbolic of her passing the torch to the next generation of great skaters.

I don't know since when being robbed is called passing.

Icey

Record Breaker
She will be involved too heavily in her philanthropic and other pursuits to do that. She will undoubtedly light the torch.

jkun

Final Flight

She could do two 3-3s, but that would mean doing a 2Lz as one of her jumping passes, which would be rather disappointing.

jkun

Final Flight
Not true, she could do a solo 2Lz. She could even "plan" a 3Lo somewhere and just do a 2Lo every time. I doubt one always-doubled loop would really hurt her.

Omg I never even thought about this. LOL... It would be Yuna's equivalent of planning a 3Lz and having every intention of flutzing. Of course, the penalty for Yuna would still be much higher.

tjskate

Rinkside
After reading the interview, it seems even more that she is relieved to be finished with the pressure of competition and ready to move on with her life. She seems content with what she's accomplished (which she should be!) I hope her federation and her fans will be willing to do the same.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
It would be very sad to see Kim as another Plushenko or Kwan, squeezing her last drops of energy towards an (other) Olympic gold medal and falling low and bad. And Kim doesn't have half the charisma of those classic two, so maybe the public won't be as supportive.

Franklin99

Medalist
It would be very sad to see Kim as another Plushenko or Kwan, squeezing her last drops of energy towards an (other) Olympic gold medal and falling low and bad. And Kim doesn't have half the charisma of those classic two, so maybe the public won't be as supportive.

Not supportive? But she would be at the Olympics....IN KOREA!!!!

pointyourtoe

On the Ice

She has an Olympic gold already so she has nothing to lose, and it's Korea.

elif

Medalist
Could she do a 3F-3T?

You can repeat only 2 triple jump. Yu-Na is doing two 3lutz and two 3S. There is only room for one triple flip and she is already doing 3 toe in lutz combination, so she can't do again. Of course she can add two flips instead of two 3S but only in triple+double combination.

So without 3Lo, Kim's program going to have 6 triple. She can choose a 2lutz (no solo 3S) but this is not going to be a improvement on scoring.

seabm7

Final Flight
Could she do a 3F-3T?

Are you asking she has the technique? Yes. She has. She did it at 2013 Korean National after she missed the 3Lz-3T pass due to a random fall at the beginning of the short.

Now, are you asking she can do 3F-3T in her free? Theoretically, yes. However, since she does not do a 3Lo, her jump layout would be

3Lz-3T
3Lz
3F-3T
3S
2A-2T-2Lo
2A
2Lz

Out of 6 triples, she would have only one edge jump. Then she should add 2Lz, another toe jump. This would be an ugly looking program.

jehan215

On the Ice
As much as I personally want her too comeback, I doubt she will. The Koreans have already seemed to say their farewells, giving her the best wishes for her fresh start. Last I heard, she had aspirations of becoming an IOC member - not sure if she still wants to.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Kim would probably be in a better state in 2018 than Plushenko 2010. Hardly a pathetic creature. Yes Plushy was diminished but he was never an IJS guy anyway. Also, Plushenko past 2006 had all the charisma of a centipede. Whoever taught Liza those Plushenko arms needs to be impaled.

elif

Medalist
Kim would probably be in a better state in 2018 than Plushenko 2010. Hardly a pathetic creature. Yes Plushy was diminished but he was never an IJS guy anyway. Also, Plushenko past 2006 had all the charisma of a centipede. Whoever taught Liza those Plushenko arms needs to be impaled.

In 2010, Plushenko's TES was very competitive with other skaters. We don't know how 2018 going to be but 7 triple+2double axel programs can be a standard for medal. Actually already is for juniors.

CarneAsada

Medalist
In 2010, Plushenko's TES was very competitive with other skaters. We don't know how 2018 going to be but 7 triple+2double axel programs can be a standard for medal. Actually already is for juniors.
Kim's TES was very competitive too. I might remind you that her TES was 3rd-highest of the night in Sochi, behind only 8-Triple Mao and Adelina of the Amazing Footwork and True Lutz.