Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018?

Custom Title
    I think there is close to zero chance of Yuna skating at PC 2018. Why would she? She has more than proven herself already. But I do think she will be pressured by the Korean fed and the nation, especially if Korea somehow loses all three of its ladies skating spots in the next 4 years. I think if they are close to losing all three spots there will be pressure for Kim to go to worlds and guarantee spots for Korea.

Obviously, I hope she is able to do what she wants and not be pressured by others who have constantly asked so much of her.

On the Ice
    I'm sure the Korean skating fed will try to pressure her, but I hope Yuna sticks to her guns and says no. I think she's been over the pressures involved with elite competition for a while now, and the only reason she's competing now is because she feels a sense of responsibility towards her country and the future of Korean skating. But it's not Yuna's fault that the Korean fed has been absolutely horrible at supporting/nurturing any nascent figure skating talent. They made their bed, so let them lie in it. Yuna should just tell them to stuff it. She probably won't, though.

Plus, even if Yuna comes out on top in Sochi (fingers crossed!), with the way Yulia's been coming along, I really don't think she could keep her top dog status in Pyeongchang. Yulia will be an absolute beast in 2018, assuming that the puberty monster doesn't attack her. I think Yuna could still be competitive, but with all that pressure on her to come in first, and the idea that anything less than gold is a failure...she's dealt with that long enough. Let her breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by figspec2NE1 View Post
    Pardon me for being a possible figure skating idiot, but she's only 23. I think she can take a medal on home turf.
    She will be 27 by then. That's "old" by ladies skating standard, at least competitive skating wise. Men may be able to stay longer, but only just, I think. It wasn't easy for Plushy to come back this time, and he was an unusually successful case at that. Someone else may be able to explain it better.

On the Ice
    Jeremy Abbott is 28. Of course, Jeremy's a terrible headcase, but I think he's still in good shape as far as physical fitness goes?

And Akiko's 28 too. But she's not a strong medal contender if the team event is any indication.

It's not just about age; she also has to have the drive. I wasn't sure she'd continue after 2010. Most gold medalists seem to have a hard time finding the drive in them for another Olympics.

I'd be surprised to see her competing there. Not saying it's impossible, but I'd be surprised.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sporkwhatspork View Post
    Plus, even if Yuna comes out on top in Sochi (fingers crossed!), with the way Yulia's been coming along, I really don't think she could keep her top dog status in Pyeongchang.
    Ha it would probably be much harder for even a much improved Julia to beat granny Yu Na in Korea than it will be for her right now to beat Yu Na in Russia (which I still highly doubt she will pull off). Anyway there is no saying Julia will even be able to keep her jumps and current level once she goes through puberty which she hasnt even begun yet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Yuna is the eqivalent of the female Plushenko
    she can almost come back at any given quadrennial
    Well we've seen how well that worked out for Russia and Plushenko....

Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Well we've seen how well that worked out for Russia and Plushenko....
    Yup. Another gold medal for the king.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yup. Another gold medal for the king.
    And an exit that left a lot to be desired and left his country (and the host nation) without a horse in the race.

Tripping on the Podium
    I don't think she will. She's seems not that motivated to me. Even at this Olympics it seems that its just a job for her not something she's passionate about. I do wish she had experienced walking in the opening ceremonies since she skipped Vancouver.

Custom Title
    And an exit that left a lot to be desired and left his country (and the host nation) without a horse in the race.
    It also gave the home crowd the time of their lives during the team event. Is it the exit he and his fans wanted? No, but things don't always go the way you plan.

Yes, I feel bad for Kovtun and how he was not given an olympic spot after winning Nats over Plushy. But honestly, a lot of what happened, he did have the ability to control. If he had performed to expectations at Worlds 2013, he could have gotten Russia another spot for the olympics. And what I really think put Plushy on the team was the fact that Kovtun couldn't even medal at Euros where many people expected him to compete with Javier for the Gold.

EDIT: I got a little off-topic now that I read this thread again. But I don't think it would ever be as controversial because it would be quite a miracle if Korea produces another figure skater that can top Yuna.

Quote Originally Posted by RiceSkate View Post
    I do wish she had experienced walking in the opening ceremonies since she skipped Vancouver.
    Heh. No worry. Yuna will be the opening ceremony in Pyeongchang. I have this crazy idea that she will actually skate during the opening ceremony, and light the torch somehow while skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceSkate View Post
    She's seems not that motivated to me. Even at this Olympics it seems that its just a job for her not something she's passionate about.
    Could this be a big problem? You are going to have skaters like Asada - wants an OGM before she retires and Lipnitskaia - to win & do it on home ice, first Russian OGM in ladies; who have a ton of motivation behind their performances, if it's just a job is something going to be missing.

Custom Title
    Could this be a big problem? You are going to have skaters like Asada - wants an OGM before she retires and Lipnitskaia - to win & do it on home ice, first Russian OGM in ladies; who have a ton of motivation behind their performances, if it's just a job is something going to be missing.
    cf. "The Sochi Men's Free Skate" for a detailed disquisition on the perils of wanting something too much (Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez, Abbott, Brown, et al.)

cf. "The 2013 World Championship Ladies Free Skate" (Y. Kim, sole author) for a discussion of the benefits of achieving a calm satori in optimizing figure skating performance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jkun View Post
    It also gave the home crowd the time of their lives during the team event. Is it the exit he and his fans wanted? No, but things don't always go the way you plan.

EDIT: I got a little off-topic now that I read this thread again. But I don't think it would ever be as controversial because it would be quite a miracle if Korea produces another figure skater that can top Yuna.
    What I was eluding to, a great skater left the sport in a very lackluster fashion, isn't it always said one of the worst things is someone that doesn't realize when it's their time to go? It was sad to see Plushenko's last skate be a withdrawal, it's sad to see a great go out like that.

And I don't think it would be as controversial because the media (speaking more of US media) definitely has a different opinion of Yuna vs. Plushenko- especially after how he behaved after Evan won in Vancouver.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast