Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Plus, even if Yuna comes out on top in Sochi (fingers crossed!), with the way Yulia's been coming along, I really don't think she could keep her top dog status in Pyeongchang.

Ha it would probably be much harder for even a much improved Julia to beat granny Yu Na in Korea than it will be for her right now to beat Yu Na in Russia (which I still highly doubt she will pull off). Anyway there is no saying Julia will even be able to keep her jumps and current level once she goes through puberty which she hasnt even begun yet.

RiceSkate

Rinkside
I don't think she will. She's seems not that motivated to me. Even at this Olympics it seems that its just a job for her not something she's passionate about. I do wish she had experienced walking in the opening ceremonies since she skipped Vancouver.

jkun

Final Flight
And an exit that left a lot to be desired and left his country (and the host nation) without a horse in the race.

It also gave the home crowd the time of their lives during the team event. Is it the exit he and his fans wanted? No, but things don't always go the way you plan.

Yes, I feel bad for Kovtun and how he was not given an olympic spot after winning Nats over Plushy. But honestly, a lot of what happened, he did have the ability to control. If he had performed to expectations at Worlds 2013, he could have gotten Russia another spot for the olympics. And what I really think put Plushy on the team was the fact that Kovtun couldn't even medal at Euros where many people expected him to compete with Javier for the Gold.

EDIT: I got a little off-topic now that I read this thread again. But I don't think it would ever be as controversial because it would be quite a miracle if Korea produces another figure skater that can top Yuna.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I do wish she had experienced walking in the opening ceremonies since she skipped Vancouver.

Heh. No worry. Yuna will be the opening ceremony in Pyeongchang. I have this crazy idea that she will actually skate during the opening ceremony, and light the torch somehow while skating.

Amei

Record Breaker
She's seems not that motivated to me. Even at this Olympics it seems that its just a job for her not something she's passionate about.

Could this be a big problem? You are going to have skaters like Asada - wants an OGM before she retires and Lipnitskaia - to win & do it on home ice, first Russian OGM in ladies; who have a ton of motivation behind their performances, if it's just a job is something going to be missing.

Robeye

Final Flight
Could this be a big problem? You are going to have skaters like Asada - wants an OGM before she retires and Lipnitskaia - to win & do it on home ice, first Russian OGM in ladies; who have a ton of motivation behind their performances, if it's just a job is something going to be missing.
cf. "The Sochi Men's Free Skate" for a detailed disquisition on the perils of wanting something too much (Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez, Abbott, Brown, et al.)

cf. "The 2013 World Championship Ladies Free Skate" (Y. Kim, sole author) for a discussion of the benefits of achieving a calm satori in optimizing figure skating performance.

:)

Amei

Record Breaker
It also gave the home crowd the time of their lives during the team event. Is it the exit he and his fans wanted? No, but things don't always go the way you plan.

EDIT: I got a little off-topic now that I read this thread again. But I don't think it would ever be as controversial because it would be quite a miracle if Korea produces another figure skater that can top Yuna.

What I was eluding to, a great skater left the sport in a very lackluster fashion, isn't it always said one of the worst things is someone that doesn't realize when it's their time to go? It was sad to see Plushenko's last skate be a withdrawal, it's sad to see a great go out like that.

And I don't think it would be as controversial because the media (speaking more of US media) definitely has a different opinion of Yuna vs. Plushenko- especially after how he behaved after Evan won in Vancouver.

gourry

Final Flight
Whoever thinks that Yuna is not motivated, Yuna 2010 Worlds or 2011 Worlds, now THAT is unmotivated Yuna. Yuna 2013 and 2014? Not at all. Whatever the motivation is, she IS very motivated. :)

I have no doubt that Yuna will be in 2018 Olympic games. She'll be all over it-all sort of promotion stuffs, opening ceremony, quite possibly the torch lighting, even the medal award for figure skating and gala. I'm pretty sure she'll be featured in the 2014 olympics closing ceremony where they show the promotion for Pyoungchang olympics.
It's just she won't compete there. She made it pretty clear this is her finale. And she can be very stubborn about things according to her mom.
She is not that short-sighted. She knows she can't babysit Korean figure skating forever, and she's more into nurturing the next generation of skaters and keep them going.

babyalligator

On the Ice
The US media has no opinion about Plushenko because it doesn't remember what happened way back in 2010. Nor does it care. Nor does the general US public care. lol.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The US media has no opinion about Plushenko because it doesn't remember what happened way back in 2010. Nor does it care. Nor does the general US public care. lol.

This is pretty true. Other than skating fans or hardcore sports enthusiasts and Russians, nobody has any idea who Evgeni Plushenko is. He's no Crosby, Jordan, Manning, Beckham, LeBron, etc.

Krislite

Medalist
cf. "The Sochi Men's Free Skate" for a detailed disquisition on the perils of wanting something too much (Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez, Abbott, Brown, et al.)

cf. "The 2013 World Championship Ladies Free Skate" (Y. Kim, sole author) for a discussion of the benefits of achieving a calm satori in optimizing figure skating performance.

:)

To win the gold medal, you have to let it go. If you yearn for it too desperately, it's more likely to slip away from your grasp. Yuna actually has the advantage here. She doesn't need another Olympic gold medal to feel complete (she already has one) but she's very motivated to skate clean and perform well since it's her final competition. Externally she faces stiffer competition than Vancouver. Internally, though, the pressure is less about winning gold than skating well to end her career. A lot of skaters have faltered at the Olympics because they focused more on winning the gold than skating a gold-medal worthy performance. There's a big different between those two: the first you have no control over, the second is totally up to you.

As for this thread's topic, it's a silly speculation. She's put her foot down quite clearly that Sochi is the end of the road.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^If she does show up for 2018, it would be bc the Korean Federation forced her into it. She's stated so many times how she's done that Idk how anyone could be misinterpreting her intentions.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
To win the gold medal, you have to let it go. If you yearn for it too desperately, it's more likely to slip away from your grasp. Yuna actually has the advantage here. She doesn't need another Olympic gold medal to feel complete (she already has one) but she's very motivated to skate clean and perform well since it's her final competition. Externally she faces stiffer competition than Vancouver. Internally, though, the pressure is less about winning gold than skating well to end her career. A lot of skaters have faltered at the Olympics because they focused more on winning the gold than skating a gold-medal worthy performance. There's a big different between those two: the first you have no control over, the second is totally up to you.

As for this thread's topic, it's a silly speculation. She's put her foot down quite clearly that Sochi is the end of the road.

I agree x 1000.

aragray

Rinkside
i watched a recent documentary on yuna, and she said she regretted her decision to come back to competitive skating in 2013 because practicing was difficult, or something along the lines of that, so i doubt she will choose to comeback yet again. well at least that's what the subtitles told me lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO74wiYBfwM

gds102

Rinkside

agreeee

She knows she can't babysit Korean figure skating forever, and she's more into nurturing the next generation of skaters and keep them going.

I wonder whether she is going to be directly involved with that. Whether through some coaching/mentoring or just spending some of her huge fortune on helping develop the South Korean skating program.