Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018?

Custom Title
    Whoever thinks that Yuna is not motivated, Yuna 2010 Worlds or 2011 Worlds, now THAT is unmotivated Yuna. Yuna 2013 and 2014? Not at all. Whatever the motivation is, she IS very motivated.

I have no doubt that Yuna will be in 2018 Olympic games. She'll be all over it-all sort of promotion stuffs, opening ceremony, quite possibly the torch lighting, even the medal award for figure skating and gala. I'm pretty sure she'll be featured in the 2014 olympics closing ceremony where they show the promotion for Pyoungchang olympics.
    It's just she won't compete there. She made it pretty clear this is her finale. And she can be very stubborn about things according to her mom.
    She is not that short-sighted. She knows she can't babysit Korean figure skating forever, and she's more into nurturing the next generation of skaters and keep them going.

Custom Title
    The US media has no opinion about Plushenko because it doesn't remember what happened way back in 2010. Nor does it care. Nor does the general US public care. lol.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by babyalligator View Post
    The US media has no opinion about Plushenko because it doesn't remember what happened way back in 2010. Nor does it care. Nor does the general US public care. lol.
    This is pretty true. Other than skating fans or hardcore sports enthusiasts and Russians, nobody has any idea who Evgeni Plushenko is. He's no Crosby, Jordan, Manning, Beckham, LeBron, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    cf. "The Sochi Men's Free Skate" for a detailed disquisition on the perils of wanting something too much (Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez, Abbott, Brown, et al.)

cf. "The 2013 World Championship Ladies Free Skate" (Y. Kim, sole author) for a discussion of the benefits of achieving a calm satori in optimizing figure skating performance.

To win the gold medal, you have to let it go. If you yearn for it too desperately, it's more likely to slip away from your grasp. Yuna actually has the advantage here. She doesn't need another Olympic gold medal to feel complete (she already has one) but she's very motivated to skate clean and perform well since it's her final competition. Externally she faces stiffer competition than Vancouver. Internally, though, the pressure is less about winning gold than skating well to end her career. A lot of skaters have faltered at the Olympics because they focused more on winning the gold than skating a gold-medal worthy performance. There's a big different between those two: the first you have no control over, the second is totally up to you.

As for this thread's topic, it's a silly speculation. She's put her foot down quite clearly that Sochi is the end of the road.

Custom Title
    ^If she does show up for 2018, it would be bc the Korean Federation forced her into it. She's stated so many times how she's done that Idk how anyone could be misinterpreting her intentions.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    To win the gold medal, you have to let it go. If you yearn for it too desperately, it's more likely to slip away from your grasp. Yuna actually has the advantage here. She doesn't need another Olympic gold medal to feel complete (she already has one) but she's very motivated to skate clean and perform well since it's her final competition. Externally she faces stiffer competition than Vancouver. Internally, though, the pressure is less about winning gold than skating well to end her career. A lot of skaters have faltered at the Olympics because they focused more on winning the gold than skating a gold-medal worthy performance. There's a big different between those two: the first you have no control over, the second is totally up to you.

As for this thread's topic, it's a silly speculation. She's put her foot down quite clearly that Sochi is the end of the road.
    I agree x 1000.

On the Ice
    i watched a recent documentary on yuna, and she said she regretted her decision to come back to competitive skating in 2013 because practicing was difficult, or something along the lines of that, so i doubt she will choose to comeback yet again. well at least that's what the subtitles told me lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO74wiYBfwM

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post

agreeee

Yea if she wins gold in Sochi

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    She knows she can't babysit Korean figure skating forever, and she's more into nurturing the next generation of skaters and keep them going.
    I wonder whether she is going to be directly involved with that. Whether through some coaching/mentoring or just spending some of her huge fortune on helping develop the South Korean skating program.

Quote Originally Posted by aragray View Post
    i watched a recent documentary on yuna, and she said she regretted her decision to come back to competitive skating in 2013 because practicing was difficult, or something along the lines of that, so i doubt she will choose to comeback yet again. well at least that's what the subtitles told me lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO74wiYBfwM
    Yeah, I remember an interview with her before that, after winning in 2010 but before deciding to stick around for 2014, where she didn't sound all that enthused about the idea of continuing to train and compete. I had the impression her mother was pushing her to continue.

Saying she likely won't be motivated to skate in a third Olympics is no slam on her. There's no reason she has to be. If she wants to move on with her life after this, that's fine.

Custom Title
    She has already gifted us with the Sochi Olympics. There is no reason she should gift us any more. I personally would love to see her compete more, but she should make her own decisions.

On the Ice
    Ha it would probably be much harder for even a much improved Julia to beat granny Yu Na in Korea than it will be for her right now to beat Yu Na in Russia (which I still highly doubt she will pull off). Anyway there is no saying Julia will even be able to keep her jumps and current level once she goes through puberty which she hasnt even begun yet.
    I want to share your optimism! I guess I'm a pessimist at heart haha. And I did allow for the possibility of the puberty monster attacking her!

But I remember Yuna saying that even now she feels like she's only 65% as healthy as she used to be when she was starting out? Or that she's only 65% as flexible? Something along those lines? (I know she's never been the most flexible anyway, but still.) Figure skating has already taken its toll on her body. As much as I love seeing her skate, I don't want to see her continuing to push herself like that if it's really not what she wants to do.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I wonder whether she is going to be directly involved with that. Whether through some coaching/mentoring or just spending some of her huge fortune on helping develop the South Korean skating program.
    I'd say there's a distinct possiblity that she will play a major role after she retires. From what I hear, Yuna's contributions of time and money in mentoring Korean skaters is already substantial. She looks like she really enjoys taking young Korean skaters under her wing.

If the judging continue as now and Russia has the balls to get OGM to Julia so Korea should be the same with Yuna in Korea, at least it would be more realistic

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast