Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018?

On the Ice
    If she decides to do the Olympics again after Sochi, I see her doing it for other reasons rather than going for the gold. For example, she could dedicate her performance to unifying North and South Korea. She could be a serious contender for bronze.

Win or lose in Sochi, she's got nothing left to prove. I'm so grateful for the beautiful skating she's done through the years.

Rinkside
    I doubt she'll have any motivation to compete in 2018. If she were to win gold at Sochi, coming out of retirement 4 years later would make for a great story.

What FS needs is some boxing style trash talking. The next generation of skaters will have new stars by then, with nothing bad to say of former idols. How about Julia calling out Yuna for PyeongChang, calling her over the hill and overrated? I'd love some real drama and bad blood, but that's just me=D

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spinfin View Post
    I doubt she'll have any motivation to compete in 2018. If she were to win gold at Sochi, coming out of retirement 4 years later would make for a great story.

What FS needs is some boxing style trash talking. The next generation of skaters will have new stars by then, with nothing bad to say of former idols. How about Julia calling out Yuna for PyeongChang, calling her over the hill and overrated? I'd love some real drama and bad blood, but that's just me=D
    This kind of thing only works when (as in boxing) there is serious dinero involved, like maybe 20 million bucks. Otherwise, a skater would have to be on crack to intentionally bait a very pissed off former Olympic champion back into the rink.

Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    This kind of thing only works when (as in boxing) there is serious dinero involved, like maybe 20 million bucks. Otherwise, a skater would have to be on crack to intentionally bait a very pissed off former Olympic champion back into the rink.

Also, FS takes a long prep, and also at least a season long to build up your PCS and whatnot (unless ISU decides to apply rules selectively on a whim ). You can't simply go on a match on a whim with just a few months of practice, not even Yuna Kim.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    Also, FS takes a long prep, and also at least a season long to build up your PCS and whatnot (unless ISU decides to apply rules selectively on a whim ). You can't simply go on a match on a whim with just a few months of practice, not even Yuna Kim.
    I am assuming that the trash-talking would start at least a year in advance, maybe two. Boxing's buildup takes a while to build a head of steam, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    I am assuming that the trash-talking would start at least a year in advance, maybe two. Boxing's buildup takes a while to build a head of steam, too.
    Hee. I didn't mean to make light of boxing -- I'm sure it's equally hell on body and mind. I sure as heck wouldn't want to try.

If Yuna ever wants to come back again, it's completely up to her, and I'm sure she'll do her very best on ice if she decides to return. But she's made it pretty clear she will be retiring and that would be that. She's already a great mentor doing everything to help the junior skaters right now, so hopefully that would help ensure that there wouldn't be any reason for her to make a comeback in 2017 other than of her own volition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    She's battled a lot of nagging injuries.
    That is quite paradoxical. We do sports for health but it hurts instead. I wish FS could be a health-enhancing sports. Do we need some innovation in the skate design like adding more cushion and safety materials?

Custom Title
    I can't see it; she has nothing to prove and the motivation may behard and the body not so willing. As for Julia I suspect she may not survive more than a year or so - her body could change a lot - rightnow she doesn't appear to have gone through puberty so I am not sure her jumps will make it. We should enjoy her now because shemight be like Tara Lipinski only more sophisticated.

Custom Title
    She'll likely be enjoying a very, VERY high-up position with the PyeongChang organizing committee (if she isn't already) and will be expected to attend numerous IOC functions, media events, and the like. She won't have time to train. She'll essentially be royalty. So I doubt she'll compete. Heck, I can picture her hanging out with Kate Middleton, Nicole Kidman (Omega brand spokesperson) and Michelle Kwan at the ladies free skate, in the VIP section, watching Yulia fight it out with Gracie for the 2018 title.

Tripping on the Podium
    lol she has no motivation now. I don't think we'll see here in 2018.

It's possible. She would be about 28 in 2018. If she stays healthy, if being the operative word. Sports medicine has advanced to the point that skaters used to retire in their early 20s; quite a few have remained till their 30s.

She could do the same thing as the past quad; come back the year before the Olympics to test herself and her competition.

Rinkside
    If she is only going to be 28 and healthy, she could come back! She might make her decision based on strength of the women's field at the time. That would be a great story for South Koreans as she is so loved there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by figspec2NE1 View Post
    Pardon me for being a possible figure skating idiot, but she's only 23. I think she can take a medal on home turf.
    As another figure skating dummy, I also wonder if age 27 (Yu-Na in the next Olympics) is too old to continue to play.

Custom Title
    Irina Slutskaya was 27 in Torino. I mean, it's not totally crazy. It's certainly more in the realm of normal than 31 year-old Plushenko still being around and doing quads. I don't think she will have the motivation to continue though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    I don't think she will have the motivation to continue though.
    Yu-Na, like her young peer generations, might easily live up to 100 years in age. In other words, she IS young and must feel young, which IMO is an enough motivation to live hard at her age rather than retire early.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast