Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Any chance Yu-Na Kim competes in Pyeongchang 2018?

Jewels

On the Ice
Well, she could be competitive at 28, but by the looks of her interviews, she clearly does not want to come out again. She has too much stress already.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
If Yuna decided to come back she would undoubtedly win gold. Girl has nerves of steel. ETA: I guess its a bit presumptuous to assume she would win gold as there may be another skating phenom with a similar blend of artistic and technical ability.

I am not a skating expert so I do not know how hard it would be to maintain her jumps.

But she isn't motivated because I don't think she is the type to be motivated for all the gold there is out there.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I'd like to see her, but I doubt she'll win then. There'll be Edmunds, Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Gold, Chen, Radionova and so on. I think they'll be much better by that time. FS need new heroes

Ambivalent

On the Ice
I'd like to see her, but I doubt she'll win then. There'll be Edmunds, Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Gold, Chen, Radionova and so on. I think they'll be much better by that time. FS need new heroes

If anything if she made it clear she was going to come back to skate for herself and just have fun it would be cool. To me, Sochi wasn't fun for her at all. In a perfect world she could return to Pyeongchang, her legions of fans would not expect her to podium and she could skate to her heart's content. But it is not a perfect world and there would be pressure so I guess it's not the wisest idea. Props to me for trying though LOL.

elif

Medalist
If Yuna decided to come back she would undoubtedly win gold. Girl has nerves of steel. ETA: I guess its a bit presumptuous to assume she would win gold as there may be another skating phenom with a similar blend of artistic and technical ability.

She can maintain her jumps, her technique is good but she needs triple loop and layback. Look at Gracie Gold's score. She got same TES with perfect Kim, even with a fall. Kim needs to improvement If she wants to compete at 2018.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well, she could be competitive at 28, but by the looks of her interviews, she clearly does not want to come out again. She has too much stress already.

Yes, I have no doubt she will maintain her technical skills, but I really don't think she even wanted to compete here in Sochi, from her interviews, it seems that she wanted to retire for good after Vancouver but was pressured by her federation into coming back and trying to repeat. I hope she can put her foot down and tell her Federation to leave her alone.

cooper

Medalist
when yuna says she's done, she's done. unlike before.. there was uncertainty.. but now she's done.

Andre Smith

Match Penalty
when yuna says she's done, she's done. unlike before.. there was uncertainty.. but now she's done.

Yuna, as a Korean, might be willing to respond to the nation's call after resting for a couple of years like she did for the Sochi Games. Who can know the future for sure?

cooper

Medalist
Yuna, as a Korean, might be willing to respond to the nation's call after resting for a couple of years like she did for the Sochi Games. Who can know the future for sure?

god i hope not. maybe her fed will pressure her but i don't think yuna will say yes.. she's a type of person once she said no..it will be no.

parma

On the Ice
If there was any thread of possibility of her coming back for 2018, her Sochi experience just killed it.

sk8in

Match Penalty
I doubt Yuna would be able to cope with the physical toll, and compete at such a level that she could win gold. Probably the greatest disadvantage older skaters face under the new point system is lack of flexibility. All that crap Julia is doing, dislocating her hips and what not, is never going to be possible in a 25 year old adult woman. I guess anything is possible, but I get the vibe that the competition is only going to get more intense over the next few years.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Yuna to keep up with the new kids she would have to actually skate in more then one or two competitions in a year especially as she gets older to stay competitive. It backfired this season not doing the GP which she needed to peak at the Olympics. Four more years means the younger girls keep getting better.

andyjo24

Medalist
No one knows for sure, but as a big Yu-na fan, I hope she does not come back. Her body is in serious pain, and she has no reason to come back (She has won every medal she can possibly get).

CarneAsada

Medalist
For Yuna to keep up with the new kids she would have to actually skate in more then one or two competitions in a year especially as she gets older to stay competitive. It backfired this season not doing the GP which she needed to peak at the Olympics. Four more years means the younger girls keep getting better.
Yuna didn't peak at the Olympics? In what world does skating a clean SP and a clean FS with all the planned content somehow not constitute "peaking?"

SkateToronto

On the Ice
I doubt it - she'll be 27 by then and that's getting pretty old to make a successful comeback given the physical demands of the sport. I also don't know why she'd want to.

I think more likely that she'll serve as the non-participating face of the games, undoubtedly light the Olympic cauldron, etc.

vLadiMiRa

Rinkside
How do you know unless you are her BF?

Based on what Yuna has said in interviews, etc., one can come to that conclusion....

As much as I hate to see her go, I think Yuna should enjoy her life away from skating...I'm sure she will be around Pyeongchang, just not as a competing athlete.

Andre Smith

Match Penalty
When Yuna Kim was still a junior, Kim said she would retire after winning any medal in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. - a newspaper article before the 2010 Olympics

Yuna kept the same attitude for a while after Vancouver. But in two years she changed her mind.