2014 Olympics Ice Dance BRONZE | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ice Dance BRONZE

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Ok people. Who's getting it? Dance starts in two days, so place your bets :)

Bobrova/Soloviev, Cappellini/Lanotte, Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Pechalat/Bourzat, or Weaver/Poje?

I would like Ilinykh/Katsalapov, but I somehow feel that it'll go to Bobrova/Soloviev (please god no) or Pechalat/Bourzat.
I do feel that since they need to eliminate teams one by one until one team has the bronze, Weaver/Poje will be the first to go, as I doubt the judges want 3 NA teams on the podium. Next to go I feel would be Cappellini/Lanotte. As TSL pointed out, C/L seem to be "collateral damage" in the race for the bronze.

That leaves B/S, I/K, and P/B. I feel like they want to give it to I/K if they're clean, but I somehow foresee them making some big mistake again, and leaving the judges with no choice but to give the bronze to B/S or P/B.

Another thought: 5 teams are in each warmup - D/W and V/M will certainly occupy 2 of the 5 spots in the final warmup, leaving 3 spots, meaning 2 of these 5 teams will be in the 2nd to last warmup. I feel that the bronze will go to one of the 3 teams in the final warmup - whichever 2 teams don't make that final warmup will be finished in terms of the bronze.

So. Who's getting this coveted bronze medal?

ARipp42014

Medalist
I guess the SD will tell the story.

But I'm ready for Olympic Bronze Medal Hunger Games: Ice Dance Edition

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am feeling either W&P or I&K. I strongly believe it will be one of those two, even if others are probably looking more at B&S and P&B. One thing for sure, no way it will be C&L. How they were scored at the GPF, Team SD, and even Europeans (yes they won but they barely beat I&K with a huge fall and other serious errors) should end anyone even looking at them.

Given the scores Russian skaters have been getting so far, I'd say third place will be I/K if they don't mess up. If they do mess up (very likely), then it will be B/S.

P/B and W/P will be fighting for 5th place. :eek:hwell:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If I&K are really the ones destined for the bronze I hope to god they dont feck it up and let the hideous and boring Borehova and Sloppov win the bronze. What a travesty for the sport that result would be.

If I&K are really the ones destined for the bronze I hope to god they dont feck it up and let the hideous and boring Borehova and Sloppov win the bronze. What a travesty for the sport that result would be.

If I were you, I'd be preparing mentally for this. B/S are much more consistent than I/K and they were 3rd in Team Event SD where all the contenders other than W&P competed.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
B&S are one of those teams that are more easy to appreciate when you see them live. They would be worthy of the bronze medal if they skate their best. For that matter, so would C&L, or P&B, or W&P. I have no idea which team will skate the best on the day. Who would have predicted B&A and G&G for silver and bronze in 2006? Not me. Olympics are not that predictable.

Who would have predicted B&A and G&G for silver and bronze in 2006?

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Based on the team event performances, it would be theoretically possible to have this huge upset with clean I/K (or maybe even B/S?) beating V/M if they mess up (I mean they were lucky not to fall on their opening FD lift).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, I hope no dancers fall. Thinking of the 2006 OD still causes me PTSD type trauma. I never want to see any dance competition like that again.

gmyers

Record Breaker
B&S are one of those teams that are more easy to appreciate when you see them live. They would be worthy of the bronze medal if they skate their best. For that matter, so would C&L, or P&B, or W&P. I have no idea which team will skate the best on the day. Who would have predicted B&A and G&G for silver and bronze in 2006? Not me. Olympics are not that predictable.

Amazingly Sports Illustrated predicted the Dance podium exactly right! Just taking the worlds 2005 results. There it paid to seemingly ignore all the developments of the 2005-2006 season like the GP season and the surge of D/L!

dress

On the Ice
I would like to see W/P on the podium. They were robbed by P/B to often in the past years.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Given the scores Russian skaters have been getting so far, I'd say third place will be I/K if they don't mess up. If they do mess up (very likely), then it will be B/S.

P/B and W/P will be fighting for 5th place. :eek:hwell:

I'm afraid so too. :eek:hwell:
You could see in the Team Event Short Dance when comparing B/S and P/B that B/S had 1.40 points more in PCS: That's a big difference, and it's pretty telling as to where the judges "want to see them".
________________P/B______B/S
Skating skills_____8.64_____9.00
Transition________8.54_____8.75
Execution________8.82_____9.18
Choreography____8.64_____8.89
Interpret. timing__8.68_____9.18

Well, I hope no dancers fall. Thinking of the 2006 OD still causes me PTSD type trauma. I never want to see any dance competition like that again.

I'm not expecting falls but if Team Event is anything to go by, I am expecting Virtue/Moir to not execute their elements to the highest standard. Possibly miss some levels. Theoretically miss some GOE but then the judges might turn a blind eye so who knows.

So I would say that at this point Silver isn't a lock and there is a very small possibility one of the Russian teams could challenge for it. Of course it would require that Russian team to give it their 110% whilst Virtue/Moir make mistakes.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
So I guess now the question is this, which is more likely:

1. V&M to upset D&W for the gold (V&M increasingly a huge underdog in this battle)

2. A Russian team to upset V&M for silver

3. A non Russian team (especialy one not named P&B) to steal the bronze, someone like W&P or even C&L

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
PTFan...

In answer to your quiz above: I choose #2

I think I/K will be awarded the silver medal.

Not sure, but something in my gut is telling me. It will be unjust (although I'm a fan of I/K), but that will be the result.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
PTFan... In answer to your quiz above: I choose #2 I think I/K will be awarded the silver medal. Not sure, but something in my gut is telling me. It will be unjust (although I'm a fan of I/K), but that will be the result.

I agree with you here. I started thinking that after Trophy Bompard when they beat P/B. I don't think V/M can afford a mistake at all. I/K will have home ice advantage and they get quite the response for their FD. I/K will have to be clean with no lost feather nonsense. I wouldn't agree with it but it could happen.