Thread: 2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Question 2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Daisuke, Joubert, Abbott just retired. Anyone else is skipping? V/T said 50% they're going.

Custom Title
    I wish Brian and Jeremy would go. Joubert in particular has a history of excellent post-Olympic Worlds.

Custom Title
    Did Daisuke, Joubert and Abbott all retire immediately after Sochi? I thought Jeremy was going to Worlds?

yuna

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ahy View Post
    yuna
    mao?

Custom Title
    Plushenko isn't going of course...dai will go as it is in Japan i thought. Unless he had a change of heart.

Tripping on the Podium

It will be of Interest to see what happens at the World Championships

Who will go, who will skate nice, who will not go...sadly no Yuna, maybe no Mao or Carolina...who do you want to see

Hopefully Mao will be there to say goodbye to her home country crowd but I don't think Yuna nor Caro will have the motivation for go. I think, if clean, this should be Asada's to lose. However, it will be even more interesting to see the battle for silver and bronze. There you'll have Murakami and probably Suzuki with hunger to better their Olympic result and there you'll have Julia vs (hopefully) Adelina whose national rivalry is huge both have something to prove not only to themselves but their fans. And of course, you'll have the best set of competitive Americans in years. The USA haven't medaled since 2006 with Meissner's once in a life time performance and I think this year will be a strong battle between Gold and Wagner for the top American finish (and possibly end of that medal drought).

It's gonna be really interesting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nycskate2014 View Post
    Who will go, who will skate nice, who will not go...sadly no Yuna, maybe no Mao or Carolina...who do you want to see
    Mao should be there.

Custom Title
    Hopefully Adelina will be there so she can compete without Russiaflation.

Custom Title
    Yes, Worlds on in just a month! In the ladies, I'm thinking Carolina and Yuna will bow out. That leaves Adelina, Yulia, Gracie and Ashley to duke it out. Mao has already won Worlds so I'm thinking she's done. In the mens, again, Chan has already won Worlds. Based on his recent comment, "I can see me winning another Worlds but maybe not this year", I see him packing it in for this year maybe two and then reevaluating his chances in two years. I see Hanyu, Javier, and Ten giving it a go. The Russian man (terrible, forgetting name) who was passed by for Evgeni has alot to prove. Are Abbott and Brown going or did they give one spot to Max Aaron? Love Daisuke but I think he's done. In pairs, both Russians will be tough to beat. I think the Germans are done. I don't see anyone else in their caliber. In ice dance, I hope Meryl and Charlie finish their amateur career at Worlds but understand the financial end if you have to "make hay while the sun shines." The window of opportunity is limited for such a niche sport. Pretty sure Scott and Tessa are done. Will be very interesting to see how the young Russians pair against the senior duo and if Cappellinni and Lanotte can make it on the podium. Love them! Farewell to Pechelat and Bourzon - they were fab!!! Could Chock and Bates squeak bronze? Shibs have some thinking to do - have they hit their best or can Marina take them higher?

Custom Title
    9.75/9.75/9.75/9.5/9.5 PCS and automatic +3 GOEs for everything she does.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Hopefully Adelina will be there so she can compete without Russiaflation.
    Her marks aren't going anywhere. The ISU is fully behind her, Julia, and Gracie.

Custom Title
    Carolina is going, so is Mao. Akiko has a foot injury and has retired.

But there will be no RUS judge on the Ladies panel---only UKR and EST. The audience will support ALL the skaters, not just the Russians.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Her marks aren't going anywhere. The ISU is fully behind her, Julia, and Gracie.
    Maybe, but I doubt (hoping with all my might) that their PCS will be at 74.5, 70, and 68.5. Hopefully, depending on how they actually skate we'll get the more reasonable 65-67 for Yulia/Gracie and possibly 68/69 max for Adelina. Also if Mao and Carolina are going to be there they'll receive 70-72.

Also, regarding the poster who said Adelina always high marks outside of Russia: With a only one mistake on a jump combination and on one spin in the LP, a squeaky clean SP, and already massively inflated PCS Adelina barely broke 200, a score that was already over 25 points higher than her previous best in all three GP events, granted she had several mistakes that she cleaned up for the FS, but her SP was always very clean. Judging from what she received then, I would say that going completely clean she would receive 70/71 max for the SP, and 134/135 max in the LP. Especially considering Amano is the caller.