Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Thread: 2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    D/W OGM was never in doubt. Not everyone sees flags when watching skating. I do not just support a skater because of the country they come from. If I like them, I like them. Who cares what country they skate for ?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    How can you say D&W's OGM was controversial? You must be Canadian!
    Here I am quoting myself. IMO anyone who didn't think that D&W didn't earn their OGM - and hadn't been besting V&M for the past 4 years....I have to wonder about! So the only explanation to me would be patriotism.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Here I am quoting myself. IMO anyone who didn't think that D&W didn't earn their OGM - and hadn't been besting V&M for the past 4 years....I have to wonder about! So the only explanation to me would be patriotism.
    You are wrong. If you like D/W more then okay but to say that D/W have been better than V/M every time for the past 4 years is just not true. V/M were better than D/W in the GPF a few months ago but the result was IMO wrong.
    All I'm saying is that the last thing to make me support a skater would be what country they come from. I don't care where they come from. So please don't say that would be the only reason. I'm American yet liked the Canadians better. So what ?.

Custom Title
    You are wrong. If you like D/W more then okay but to say that D/W have been better than V/M every time for the past 4 years is just not true. V/M were better than D/W in the GPF a few months ago but the result was IMO wrong.
    All I'm saying is that the last thing to make me support a skater would be what country they come from. I don't care where they come from. So please don't say that would be the only reason. I'm American yet liked the Canadians better. So what ?.
    I'm from the US and prefer V/M, and while I think it was inevitable that D/W were going to win the OGM, doesn't mean I agree with the result but I accept it.

Midnight Skater is right, you can't make generalizations about fan preference based on patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by apgold View Post
    I'm from the US and prefer V/M, and while I think it was inevitable that D/W were going to win the OGM, doesn't mean I agree with the result but I accept it.

Midnight Skater is right, you can't make generalizations about fan preference based on patriotism.
    Hear hear! Such a refreshing and welcome sentiment. If only it pervaded the ranks of skating officials. I sincerely hope that the fallout from Sochi doesn't result in a blind backlash against Russian skaters. The skater I'm most excited about, and the one whose artistry has entranced me in a way few have since the likes of Chen Lu, is Elena Radionova. If she survives her growth spurt and builds solid technique to back up her obvious artistic gifts, she could win all there is to win. Mesmerizing.

Quote Originally Posted by apgold View Post

Certainly I'm not in agreement that patriotism drives one preference of skaters and certainly you can disagree with the result. However, that's a different bag of fish then saying that Davis and White getting the OGM was a controversial result. They're not one in the same, IMO.

I don't think D/W's win got anywhere near the same public outcry compared to the one in the ladies result.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-24-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Certainly I'm not in agreement that patriotism drives one preference of skaters and certainly you can disagree with the result. However, that's a different bag of fish then saying that Davis and White getting the OGM was a controversial result. They're not one in the same, IMO.

I don't think D/W's win got anywhere near the same public outcry compared to the one in the ladies result.
    The one thing I've learned in watching skating for over 20 years is that everyone sees different things when watching the same skaters.
    We all have our favourites for different reasons.
    D/W did not get to me emotionally like V/M but I still enjoy watching them & will continue to do so when looking back on their programs.
    I can honestly say there is not a skater/skaters that I could not find something about them to admire/respect/love.
    When an Olympic cycle is over & many retire I truly feel like I am losing close friends.
    I always try to look at the skater/skaters positive points as it helps me to enjoy them more. The last thing I think about is the country they come from.
    Also, over the years I have come to care less about the marks & more about the skating ON the ice rather than the judging OFF it.
    Maybe I'm getting old.....................

Custom Title
    Years from now I still feel that the programs that people will watch are those from B/S, W/P and I/K. These performances were stand outs for me.

If we are honest both of these programs were ho-hum retreads of their previous programs. Especially for V/M. I still don't understand why V/M were so afraid to try something different. They have really outgrown Marina's work ages ago. Who got gold or silver will not be important in the end. It will be the performances, jmho.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38