2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Newbiespectator said:
That's true. Who knows what their condition will be after such a grueling Olympics. We may see a World Champion that no-one expects. -How exciting!

I'll be rooting for Takahashi to have the best farewell ever and end his career with a world title at home! Fernandez, Machida or Ten would be pretty cool too. Or Han Yan pulling a huge upset! :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Personally, I'd like to see at Japan's Worlds even one last time:

- Daisuke - I can't even imagine a world of FS without him, he's a true artist who draws attention even with mistakes...Even his appearance at gala would be amazing

- Tessa and Scott - I think it would be a great moment and a great place to say goodbye to competitive skating - their first senior worlds were in 2007 in Tokyo, Japan and I still remember their programs from here, particulary FD to Valse Triste which was a highlight...

- Akiko and Mao - I wolul love to see them both here at home regardless how they'll go at Olys - they usually shine on home ice and I love their shorts this season...

- Aliona and Robin and Quin and Jian - it's probably the least possible from all my wishes but they are my sentimental favourites and love their programs from this season

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Aliona and Robin returned home and said in an Interview that they weren't sure about Worlds, yet. I don't know, it sounded to me like they do want to go, because they don't want to be remembered by their last appearance at the Olympics. On the other hand, with V/T there, they would also probably end up second...so who knows.

Daisuke appearantly isn't sure either, if he wants to go. He still is injured and not completely healthy and him being in form again this season probably won't happen. He said he felt empty and exhausted after Olympics. So we cannot count on him going, even if it is Japan.

anyanka

Record Breaker
All: just went to the 2014 worlds Wikipedia page. It seems they've announced the pairs and a number of teams that we thought had or will retire (P/T, S/S) are listed as being announced as entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_World_Figure_Skating_Championships

I'm guessing this will change a LOT in the next few weeks.

They also list the alternates. IF this is accurate, the most intriguing entry for me is Russia's alternative: Yuko + Sasha! [Snoopy happy dance]

flutzy13

On the Ice
Me too!

On the other hand, I would like Jeremy to go. I guess the Olys showed that if he skates clean or almost clean, he can medal. Why not try it again, the last time? ;) Or am I a fool? ;)

Couldn't disagree more. How many chances are we going to give Jeremy to medal based on his potential only to have him finish between 7th and 12th? I'd much rather see Max muscle around those jumps- maybe he and Jason together could get a third spot. Jeremy will just embarass again on an international stage, finish 10th, leave us with 2 spots for sure and then use his Olympic fall as an injury excuse. If the federation has any sense, they will tell Jeremy that if he ever wants to coach, appear in shows or do anything related to USFS, he will retire and open up the spot.

I enjoyed Jeremy once upon a time but he had his shot to skate clean and medal internationally numerous times. He never does.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Ingo Steuer said that they are scheduled for Worlds. I think you have to apply at a certain date or you're out. And then you decide later if you want to compete.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
If the federation has any sense, they will tell Jeremy that if he ever wants to coach, appear in shows or do anything related to USFS, he will retire and open up the spot.

Ugh.

It's hilarious how casuals think figure skating is such a delicate sport when in reality we have people promoting threats and harassment of someone because they have some psychic abilities regarding next month's competition. How about the USFS just go out and club Abbott's knee instead? He'd have less time than Nancy to recover.

Sheesh.

BlackPack

Medalist
Couldn't disagree more. How many chances are we going to give Jeremy to medal based on his potential only to have him finish between 7th and 12th? I'd much rather see Max muscle around those jumps- maybe he and Jason together could get a third spot. Jeremy will just embarass again on an international stage, finish 10th, leave us with 2 spots for sure and then use his Olympic fall as an injury excuse. If the federation has any sense, they will tell Jeremy that if he ever wants to coach, appear in shows or do anything related to USFS, he will retire and open up the spot.

I enjoyed Jeremy once upon a time but he had his shot to skate clean and medal internationally numerous times. He never does.

Harsh but I agree even as an Abbott fan. Fan of his skating, style, and music choices. His sportsmanship style, never.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
USFS are basically saying they don't give a crap about getting a third spot for an up and coming skater if they don't strongarm Jeremy into withdrawing due to injury/retiring so Jason can go. What a waste it will be so that Jeremy can attempt yet another redemptive moment and finish 7th-12th.

I think that as the reigning National champion Abbott has every right to go to Worlds, if he so wishes. Brown´s time will come later, if he will place high enough at the next Nationals.

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree with Jaana. He did earn both the Olympic berth AND the Worlds berth. Regardless of what you think about his skating and his performances at the Olys, he does deserve to go. Having said that, I'm an uber Jason fan now and would also love to see HIM at Worlds. The good news is Jason probably has about 8 Worlds left in him and Jeremy has one. I'll go along with whatever Jeremy decides, hope that he skates like he did at Nationals, and wave bye when he leaves the ice the last time. And look forward to the next skating season with anticipation, excitement and hope.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I do find it funny how skaters like Chan, Aliona and Robin, and others who almost never skate cleanly like to potray themselves as if they do, and that a competition with 1 or 2 falls is so far below their usual standard.

Basically all the men. The only skater who I thought underperformed significantly was Machida, and that was disappointing because he had such a stellar season.

merinheart

Rinkside
Saw Daisuke practice this morning and he did a pretty solid run-through of his long program so it seems like he's keeping Worlds as a strong possibility. Jason was also there and had a fairly light practice. He and Kori spent most of their session talking and trying out different variations of spins which I think she was recording on her phone. Didn't look like he was training with Worlds in mind but of course I hope I'm wrong and he does end up going.

Neither Jeremy, Max or Jason are locks to do well at Worlds, but at least with Max & Jason they can gain some much needed experience on the international stage. Jason especially has the chance to show whether he can bounce back from his performance at the Olympics. Technically Jeremy "earned" his spot but I honestly don't see what advantages there are for him going. People aren't interested in seeing Jeremy have another "will he or will he not headcase" moment, he already had his "comeback story" at the Olympics, so why not leave on a high note? Imo, it will show a lot of class & maturity for him to step aside for Jason because he has nothing left to prove anymore.

BlackPack

Medalist
I think that as the reigning National champion Abbott has every right to go to Worlds, if he so wishes. Brown´s time will come later, if he will place high enough at the next Nationals.

Sure, in principle you are right. But the actual public opinion is not only divided, but probably leaning towards happiness at Jeremy's potential absence. How many more meltdowns do we have to see? We're sick of it.