2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me, too. And I'd also like to see Carolina repeat her Sochi performances.

Ill one up it and say I want Mao and Yulia to redeem themselves and Caro to go clean. I don't care the order but

:bow:Caro
:clap:Mao
:love:Yulia

Seems like a dream to me:cry:

KJGL

Rinkside
I think not showing up at Worlds is a lose for Adelina, regardless of whose decision it was. So many people are doubtful about the result at the Olympics, so she could have used Worlds to prove herself. By not showing up, it shows that she is afraid she may not do as well, which will only add to the doubts around her.

This is a very different situation from Yuna's. Yuna has been building her reputation for so many years before Vancouver, always stayed within top three. She already had won Worlds before going to Olympics, so after that point she didn't have much else to prove. Adelina does.

But I don't care about Adelina proving herself at this point. I WANT MAO TO NAIL BOTH PROGRAMS

Adelina's situation is really different from any other OGM winner I can think of. I can't think of another skater who went straight to the top of the Olympic podium without ever winning so much as a World bronze. Among surprise OGM winners even Urmanov and Sarah Hughes had World bronzes.

So every gold medalist I can think of who skipped Worlds had a World podium history (so nothing to prove) and a reason, like they were either retiring or semi-retiring, or they were injured.

To me Adelina's circumstance matches up best with Hanyu's, who gets that he still has something to prove (and we know he feels this way because he's said so), and he's competing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought Kostner was going to retire. What's she doing here?

Anyway, this is a chance for Asada and Lipnitskaya to redeem themselves. I think both will end up on the podium somewhere.

KJGL

Rinkside
I thought Kostner was going to retire. What's she doing here?

Anyway, this is a chance for Asada and Lipnitskaya to redeem themselves. I think both will end up on the podium somewhere.

Carolina's on the ISU list. She's going!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Adelina's situation is really different from any other OGM winner I can think of. I can't think of another skater who went straight to the top of the Olympic podium without ever winning so much as a World bronze. Among surprise OGM winners even Urmanov and Sarah Hughes had World bronzes.

So every gold medalist I can think of who skipped Worlds had a World podium history (so nothing to prove) and a reason, like they were either retiring or semi-retiring, or they were injured.

To me Adelina's circumstance matches up best with Hanyu's, who gets that he still has something to prove (and we know he feels this way because he's said so), and he's competing.

To be fair, Hanyu did fall twice to his OGM, so I certainly understand his assertion that he has something to prove.

From a skating standpoint, Adelina doesn't have that same burden. She skated two solid programs.

KJGL

Rinkside
Ill one up it and say I want Mao and Yulia to redeem themselves and Caro to go clean. I don't care the order but

:bow:Caro
:clap:Mao
:love:Yulia

Seems like a dream to me:cry:

If Las Vegas posted odds on the podium (in no particular order) this would probably be it, so you've got a good chance to have your dream come true :biggrin:

KJGL

Rinkside
To be fair, Hanyu did fall twice to his OGM, so I certainly understand his assertion that he has something to prove.

From a skating standpoint, Adelina doesn't have that same burden. She skated two solid programs.

So did her podium-mates, which is a part of the controversy surrounding her win. And as you may remember, I don't challenge the win. I just think not showing up at Worlds doesn't serve her interests very well--it certainly doesn't do anything to quiet her critics/doubters. I know others feel differently about this being an okay move for her, but I can't get myself there. I just don't think she came out of the Olympics with the luxury of saying gee, I think I'll stay home and rest while all those also-rans duke it out. Mainly because even those of us who think her win qualifies as legit still don't think her competitors can be that easily dismissed. She's not big enough and they're not small enough.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Will Wagner ever win a world medal

Her best chance so far was 2012. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you see things) she took herself out of the running in the SP.

I don't know what will happen in the future, but for her to have a chance NOW, not only does she need to hit, but she needs skaters with higher scoring potential than her to make mistakes. Even with 2 of those skaters missing, we've still got at least 4 left. That's more than enough to fill a podium.

But Gold has a REALLY good shot here at the podium. 2 of the 3 competitors she lost to in Sochi won't be at Worlds...if anyone is going to get the US back on the world podium in ladies, that's probably who it will be. And I'm perfectly cool with that!

Amei

Record Breaker
We must remember how hard she works and that she's only 17. It will be interesting to see if Adelina comes back with more triples and combos etc. for next season. I expect Mao and Yulia to be fired up for worlds.

Do you realize that Yulia is 2 years younger than Adelina, works just as hard, and skated 2 more Olympic programs then Adelina and her individual event was, from an outsider's perspective, under more pressure?

Honestly I think if Adelina doesn't go, it's because she's enjoying her moment in the spotlight and her Olympic victory lap (not saying it's a bad thing).

bunnychan

Rinkside
I have basically nothing to contribute to all the ladies discussions. I'm just going to curl up in my dark corner and be sad that China only has one men's spot.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have basically nothing to contribute to all the ladies discussions. I'm just going to curl up in my dark corner and be sad that China only has one men's spot.

No need to :slink:

I will pull for Han Yan for you!!

So Lets :yay: instead

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Does anyone know why Christopher Caluza is representing Philippines, while Michael-Christian Martinez is listed as their alternate?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know why Christopher Caluza is representing Philippines, while Michael-Christian Martinez is listed as their alternate?

I read an article where he received $10,000 from a local businessman and the whole article praised him and then it the last paragraph was....

Michael Christian Martinez will compete at the World Junior Figure Skating Championships in Bulgaria next month following his Sochi Winter Olympics performance.

I'm assuming this may be why? Not sure though but this makes sense. So another reason to :yay:

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/82145/20140305/michael-christian-martinez-sochi-performance.htm

sk8in

Match Penalty
I think not showing up at Worlds is a lose for Adelina, regardless of whose decision it was. So many people are doubtful about the result at the Olympics, so she could have used Worlds to prove herself. By not showing up, it shows that she is afraid she may not do as well, which will only add to the doubts around her.

This is a very different situation from Yuna's. Yuna has been building her reputation for so many years before Vancouver, always stayed within top three. She already had won Worlds before going to Olympics, so after that point she didn't have much else to prove. Adelina does.

But I don't care about Adelina proving herself at this point. I WANT MAO TO NAIL BOTH PROGRAMS
It proves that she is a complete fraud. Maybe she will drop out of figure skating completely after this.

BusyMom

Medalist
Han Yan has so much potential. I believe that he will get 2 spots for China this time. China has a very strong team of up-and-coming male skaters. Chinese fans should be thrilled with the future prospects.:yay:

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Do you realize that Yulia is 2 years younger than Adelina, works just as hard, and skated 2 more Olympic programs then Adelina and her individual event was, from an outsider's perspective, under more pressure?

Honestly I think if Adelina doesn't go, it's because she's enjoying her moment in the spotlight and her Olympic victory lap (not saying it's a bad thing).

Actually, the article says that the final decision about Adelina will be announced on March 10th, when she comes back from Switzerland and Art on Ice show that she's doing together with V/T. The same is true for V/T.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Actually, the article says that the final decision about Adelina will be announced on March 10th, when she comes back from Switzerland and Art on Ice show that she's doing together with V/T. The same is true for V/T.

So it's undecided yet? I hope she will go, anyways.