2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

If you like P&B be happy V&M and D&W arent going. This is the only chance P&B would have ever had of a World title (by next year even they would probably have had no chance with the younger improving teams).

I'm very excited to see P/B at worlds.

What's that about thngs with Patrick not being "smmoth," Meoima? Is there some information out there that I haven't heard? Certainly he's been keeping a very low profile lately. I feel bad for him after that Long Program.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Thanks. :) Just... pity that World Championship got... a bit snubbed this year. :(

Glad for Mao, Caro, Pechalat-Bourzat n especially Berton-Hotarek, as they decided to be there. Whatever the result (though some medals are a matter of fact), they will deliver a great perfomance.
Despite being a bit sorry for Anna P n Yulia L (as of now, they are the official competitors for Russia and being "kicked off" does not sound nice), I would really like Adelina to compete instead of one of them. Just to see the scores. :)
The Russians should be more protective of Yulia than they are Adelina. Sotnikova can handle everyhting thrown at her physically and mentally. Yulia needs to be great 3 years from now. Why risk over working her at 15 and as light as she is? Very risky business. If I was Adelina I would tell her federations leaders to step aside and let her go to work in Japan. I mean it's not like she hasn't beaten everyone in the 2014 world championship field by age 17. She has. And she offers Russia a much more sure chance of earning 3 skaters for next years worlds than the still wet behind her ears Anna does.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Lipnitskaya will be fine. I think she will just need to learn to pace herself a bit better.

Meoima

Match Penalty
What's that about thngs with Patrick not being "smmoth," Meoima? Is there some information out there that I haven't heard? Certainly he's been keeping a very low profile lately. I feel bad for him after that Long Program.
No no no, nothing new, It's just my thoughts on the whole thing anyways. Yuzuru has to prove himself that he can have a perfect clean free skate so I understand his motivation to compete in Worlds, not to mention it's his home ice.
On the other hand, PChan has lost the gold that his whole nation had expected him to get (while technically Yuzuru let the door so open). He had prepared 4 years for this Olympic and things did not go well (not that a silver medal is not precious, but...) so he might not be in competitive mood these days. I hope he would find joy while resting and come back next season. :cry: And PChan might not get a best score in Japan anyways.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I really did think D/W and V/M would go ... sigh. I was ready to say farewell to their competitive careers but I thought we had one more chance to see them at Worlds -- then let things shake out for the next quad.

It was always unlikely that V/M were going to go to Worlds this time. They had hinted all season that they might not go, and you could tell that was what most in the Canadian sports community assumed several weeks ago. Tracy Wilson, who has known V/M since they were kids, said on NBC the night of their Sochi FD that it was unlikely we would see them at Worlds, and CBC pretty much said the same thing. And if you've been following the training schedule of G/P since they got home from 4 Continents, you could tell that there was a high likelihood they would be assigned to Worlds. G/P had gotten heavy hints that they would be replacing V/M long before the official decision was made.

D/W are another matter. Whereas skating fans should not have expected to see V/M at Worlds, they have a right to be disappointed that D/W aren't going since they had said they were going to attend Worlds. It's also been reported that their parents were even telling the press as recently as a few weeks ago in Sochi that D/W were going to Worlds. So those who got tickets expecting to see D/W are understandably disappointed at the last minute change of plans. It seems even Zoueva assumed up until recently that they were going to Worlds since she's been quoted on other threads as saying she was expecting them to win a 3rd World Title!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Clearly, the DWTS gig was not finalized until after they won the gold medal. Because training for that program has already begun (according to recent interviews), it doesn't look as though it would be possible to be on it and still go to Worlds properly trained.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am surprised no one si commenting that V and T have withdrawn due to Max's injury or am I mistaken? This really opens things up if true. Sadly after the olympics a lot of teams and skaers don't go - it isn't the same. So many medalists missing:(

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh - I missed that. Didn't realize Max was injured. I'm really hoping Denney and Coughlin can have a great skate and medal. Their LP at Nationals was awesome but their scores in the SP did them in. I find them ever so much more exciting and interesting that Castelli and Schnapir.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, I've got to say I find Castelli & Shnapir a lot more interesting, and I particularly like their SP to Santana, choreographed by Julie Marcotte. I hope they land the clean quad Salchow throw at Worlds! They have such great transitions, unlike Denney & Coughlin, who have a rather empty program. I have no idea why Denney and Coughlin have had such trouble with their SP lately. I hope they skate well at Worlds, though. Wouldn't it be amazing if the U.S. ended up with 3 slots in pairs?

The pairs at Nationals, as a group were so much better than in previous years-there were at least three teams worthy of a spot at Worlds.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, I've got to say I find Castelli & Shnapir a lot more interesting, and I particularly like their SP to Santana, choreographed by Julie Marcotte. I hope they land the clean quad Salchow throw at Worlds! They have such great transitions, unlike Denney & Coughlin, who have a rather empty program. I have no idea why Denney and Coughlin have had such trouble with their SP lately. I hope they skate well at Worlds, though. Wouldn't it be amazing if the U.S. ended up with 3 slots in pairs?

The pairs at Nationals, as a group were so much better than in previous years-there were at least three teams worthy of a spot at Worlds.

If they skate clean again with the quad and the Canadians mess up not only thee spots but maybe a medal could be their's?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They did their very, very best at Olympics in 4 programs-not to mention winning a very tough US Nationals. I fear they might be worn out...but I have hopes.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm probably a little bit prejudiced because Caydee and John sat behind us at US Nats in 2012 and we got to know them - so I'm partial. John is a sweetheart, very nice guy. And Caydee is very nice. Both are pretty unassuming! I find them exciting and wish they hadn't had an injury last year and lost a year of competition. I think it really hurt them. If I'm not mistaken, they WON the LP at Nats but their scores were just too low from the short to move up.

At Worlds, I'm FOR anyone from the US. It would be wonderful if one of our pairs teams medaled. More than that would be awesome.

And yes, you'd think if Max's shoulder was injured he wouldn't do anything to aggravate it.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yean, and it's a kind of sad. I wanted him to skate forever. I imagined him being 40, and still doing some crazy things and saying 'that's what we called figure skating when I was young'. :biggrin: And not because I like him (I had always been on the team Yagudin), but he's one of a kind, and I do respect him greatly.
Meh, Mishin's students always end up with injuries .Even Yagudin, to some extent. For the record, just look at Liza, and Artur:cry:. Poor those kids! Not everyone can be a superman like Plushenko. And he is superman no more, I am crying here. I hope he got a normal and healthy life after all the crazy years.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I'm probably a little bit prejudiced because Caydee and John sat behind us at US Nats in 2012 and we got to know them - so I'm partial. John is a sweetheart, very nice guy. And Caydee is very nice. Both are pretty unassuming! I find them exciting and wish they hadn't had an injury last year and lost a year of competition. I think it really hurt them. If I'm not mistaken, they WON the LP at Nats but their scores were just too low from the short to move up.

At Worlds, I'm FOR anyone from the US. It would be wonderful if one of our pairs teams medaled. More than that would be awesome.

D/C did win the LP with a massive overscore despite his singling three consecutive jumps in their combo and extremely out of synch spins that the judges ignored. Their SP was also high given what they put out (as was Scimeca & Knierim's) when teams like K/O and Donlan/Speroff had cleaner shorts and Leng/LeDuc were miles better in the short which wasn't reflected in the scoring. The judges were desperately trying IMO to put them on the Olympic team until Felicia and Nate skated lights out and most importantly last in the group. I firmly believe that if Denney and Coughlin had skated last, they would have been on the Olympic team.

I am a huge, huge Castelli & Shnapir fan and would love them medaling but I don't see either US team on the podium. I do hope she can get the quad landed cleanly after coming so close in Sochi. Despite the fact that I loathe D/C's skating, I had really hoped they would be able to clinch three spots in a depleted field but the field is not that depleted and I just don't see it happeneing. Yes V/T won't be there but there are two strong Chinese pairs, S/S's swan song, S/K whose stock has risen massively, both Canadian teams, Italy's B/H and the often overscored B/L. 6th and 7th will be very very tough. But I would love if D/C to help the US clinch that spot and retire on a good note. I don't see a reason for them to stay around- Marissa & Simon are now the definitive US #1 and there are too many young teams that will soon pass them including Caydee's sister who is a much more complete skater.

Alba

Record Breaker
Considering so much OTT and excessive amt of abuse and ridicule Adelina was subjected to after winning the Sochi OGM, I'm not at all shocked that she decided to skip the Worlds. Can you imagine the outcry she'll have to face if she underperforms (god forbid)? I think her team judged the situation wisely and this was a right move to protect/shield her from all of her haters. There's the motivation factor to consider as well. They say that it's really hard to focus and regroup right after the big win. I mean, she's an OGM medalist, a title every skater COVETS for his/her entire life as a competitive skater. It'd be stranger if she can put that aside and train very hard again right after an emotionally draining period from Sochi. Think of Yuna Kim who had a disastrous SP in post-Vancouver Worlds because she wasn't motivated at all and neither fully trained/prepped for the 2010 Worlds. After resting and being recharged, I believe she'll come back stronger than ever the next season and show a thing or two to her naysayers. :)

An Olympic gold medalist not going to Worlds is hardly strange. Yu Na after 2010 said it was very hard to come back for Worlds after winning Oly gold. She is not retiring, I expect to see her skate next year.
She has nothing to prove in the Worlds. Yuna is not going to be there and in any case it's another competition. You might have a bad night and still be a fantastic skater or viceversa.
So I think people will never be satisfied because it's impossible to prove something which belongs to one event, in one particular night only.
It's just ridiculous and it's usuful only to the press&fanatics, who loves gossip, trash talk, and demonizing skaters or this sport.
In anycase she's doomed, no matter how she skates. So the only chance she has it's to let this year's world pass and hope that cool heads prevail and attacks are called off next year. Come back stronger and better and have a lasting career if she can, which I doubt because the era of the many-years medalists ended with the new judging system.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My guess is Sotnikova will skate only at GPs where the judging panel and/or tech team will be favorable to her. I'm not sure how the Russian fed will manage that, as she won't be a seeded skater, only a returning Olympic medalist (1-2 seeded skaters get first choice). I guess the Russian fed will know the judge/tech assignments and make sure she's 'invited' to the right venues, probably CoR and maybe TEB or CoC.

She did go to 'favorable' events this past season (Mme Piseev was on the judging panel of both) but she didn't win either one.

amc987

On the Ice
I imagine Adelina will be assigned Cup of China and Cup of Russia. Traditionally weak field at the first and obvious inflation at the second. Hello Grand Prix Final! I'm being a bit shady here. She could definitely make the GPF regardless of her GPs this season- after all, she made it this year with reasonable marks. Winning a a world title to go with that outrageous OGM is a different issue entirely.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I imagine Adelina will be assigned Cup of China and Cup of Russia. Traditionally weak field at the first and obvious inflation at the second. Hello Grand Prix Final! I'm being a bit shady here. She could definitely make the GPF regardless of her GPs this season- after all, she made it this year with reasonable marks. Winning a a world title to go with that outrageous OGM is a different issue entirely.

The Russian Fed don't choose which events she gets, other than COR.

amc987

On the Ice
The Russian Fed don't choose which events she gets, other than COR.

I know the Russian Fed doesn't choose exactly- don't skaters get invitations to GPs based on the organizers' wishes/ the ISU's requirements for entrants (e.g. the skaters with top 6 placements at the previous worlds are seeded, a certain # of skaters with season's best scores, etc.)? Anyway, if that's the case, wouldn't Adelina probably get her pick of events given her marketability as the reigning Olympic gold medalist? I think she'd prob choose China and CoR if so.