2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

sirota

Rinkside
Because Julia didn't win the gold medal in ledies, and she desperately needs in a world medal. She and her coach are very ambitious, and at the same time Etery has never been a big athlete herself. She doesn't have her own expirience how your mind and body react to participation in highest level of competitions, and didn't test it as a coach. I think Julia is overloaded by high expectations. Her fifth on OG was counted as unsatisfactory result, and nobody from her team is thinking that fifth could be her place even in the case of a clean skating. Only time will show is this strategy of pushing young athlets ahead despite of tiredness and injuries is right or wrong...n

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Ohno said a lot about death threats and I wouldn't be surprised if sotnikova got some serious threats.
I think the Russians won't let her go to worlds for her own safety. A lot of wackos out there and many on this forum have already proven that.

capcomeback

On the Ice
I think the Russians won't let her go to worlds for her own safety. A lot of wackos out there and many on this forum have already proven that.

I think that many here (rightfully) have questioned the podium in Sochi. That does not mean that any of us would want any harm to come to Adelina. I think the big question is will we see more inflation in PCS/GOE or will there be a backlash in judging these aspects of scoring? Also, will Adelina get any edge calls or URs against her? Will there be more scrutiny on edge calls and URs in general?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
So, Adelina might go? Kind of a ****** thing to do to Anna Pogorilaya, though: List her as an entry, build up her hopes, then take it away.

I don't think that will happen, but if it did, it would kind of be the beginning of a plot for a revenge movie. ;)

bunnychan

Rinkside
Han Yan has so much potential. I believe that he will get 2 spots for China this time. China has a very strong team of up-and-coming male skaters. Chinese fans should be thrilled with the future prospects.:yay:

My problem is--I'll totally admit Yan Han has the most potential out of the senior Chinese men right now and I get that he's relatively more consistent, so I get why he's going to Worlds. But I am kind of completely in love with Song Nan (especially his LP this year) and am super sad he won't be there too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My problem is--I'll totally admit Yan Han has the most potential out of the senior Chinese men right now and I get that he's relatively more consistent, so I get why he's going to Worlds. But I am kind of completely in love with Song Nan (especially his LP this year) and am super sad he won't be there too.

Well at least he ended on a strong note! I hope we'll see him in 2015!

Becki

Medalist
Well at least he ended on a strong note! I hope we'll see him in 2015!

I think Nan Song is very good looking :p And he's also quite talented, I hope Han Yan can secure two spots for China so maybe Nan can go next year in Shanghai :D :D

Petitefleur

Spectator
after having the OG gold medal with Adelina they want to push forward Lipitniskaia and Pogorilaya at the WC. Certainly Mao has the best chance to win in Japan.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
It proves that she is a complete fraud. Maybe she will drop out of figure skating completely after this.

You mean like Yuna. Basically retired after winning Vancouver only showing up for Worlds and the Olympics and expecting everyone to bow to her. I hope Adelina doesn't end up like that.

BusyMom

Medalist
I think The Mission program suits him well. He did pretty awesome in Italy(winter universiade). Hope he'll be back stronger next year.

MizukiS

Rinkside
You mean like Yuna. Basically retired after winning Vancouver only showing up for Worlds and the Olympics and expecting everyone to bow to her. I hope Adelina doesn't end up like that.
Not at all. Again Yuna has won every major title after Vancouver. It isn't so 'bad' to end up like her ;)

cooper

Medalist

well yuna won her 2nd world title and skated a perfect back to back olympics and earned a medal without bombing..:p i guess that's your definition of being a "fraud"..then every skater should emulate it... :p

phaeljones

On the Ice
Yuna's skates speak for themselves. They are awesome. She is awesome. She ended up just fine. She is just fine. Adelina should be so lucky if she ended up like Yuna.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't think Yuna showed up expecting everyone to bow to her. The media really hyped her. I don't think she wanted to stay in it for 4 years after Vancouver but her federation gave her no choice. Yuna is a very humble person and like phaeljones said - her skates speak for themselves! To suggest otherwise is just mean.

Scott512

Record Breaker
after having the OG gold medal with Adelina they want to push forward Lipitniskaia and Pogorilaya at the WC. Certainly Mao has the best chance to win in Japan.

Sotnikova needs to fight the Russian figure skating federation on this. Unless she is tired or injured she should skate. It's like they are shoving her aside for a younger skater...again. I know this Anna girl is only 15 and they want her to get experience. But at Sotnikova's expense? That's rubbish. Adelina is only 17 and still on the way up. Give me a break with them forcing her to miss worlds. With Kim and Carolina retired the door is open for another major gold medal for her and that means more money and security for Adelina. She has a special needs sister so she needs to make money for her needs and care, for her parents security and yes for herself. This is the time to strike. The competition is weaker with Kim and Costner retired so I would think Adelina would be thinking the gold is there for the taking. Now the Russian figure skating federation has stepped in and messed things up for her. She should go to worlds looking for gold like Mao and Yulia are. These careers are so short and every skater needs to get everything out of there careers that they can while they can. Adelina's entire 2013 / 2014 season proves she's improving and still on the way up. Why stop her? For another 15year old? It's bad enough she was snubbed for Yulia in the team event at Sochi but this is worse her being snubbed for another 15 year old. If Sotnikova really does skip worlds it's not on her it's on her federation. Let Anna skate at next years worlds when Russia will probably have 3 spots for their women. Adelina has the rare chance for Olympic gold and world championship gold in the same year. Let her go for it. It's her career not her federations.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

She won two more world medals (including gold) and another Olympic medal. She also continued her streak of not ever finishing off the podium. I don't Adelina would mind those kind of results.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Adelina has the rare chance for Olympic gold and world championship gold in the same year. Let her go for it. It's her career not her federations.

I'm pretty sure it was Adelina's choice not to attend. Russia would be far more likely to get 3 spots next year if she competed. Anna will have to skate pretty well to finish in the top 10.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure it was Adelina's choice not to attend. Russia would be far more likely to get 3 spots next year if she competed. Anna will have to skate pretty well to finish in the top 10.
You may be right but I would like confirmation that it was her choice. I won't believe it until she confirms it. She will probably never have a better chance for world championship gold than this year.

On a side note having 2 skaters in the top 5 at Sochi (first and fifth) should have allowed Russia to send 3 women to worlds in Japan. The Olympics are a lot more important than worlds are and that should matter.

Jump

Rinkside
She won two more world medals (including gold) and another Olympic medal. She also continued her streak of not ever finishing off the podium. I don't Adelina would mind those kind of results.

It's actually 3 worlds, (2010 silver, 2011 silver, 2013 gold). I'm actually more impressed by Yuna's post Vancouver career than before. She had a life outside of FS after the Olympics and to accomplish what she did after winning her dream gold is pretty special. And the manner she finished off her skating career with 4 clean programs at her final two two major competitions is just icing on the cake.