2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
So it's undecided yet? I hope she will go, anyways.

Yeah, they say it's not a final decision yet. They will decide after March 10th.
I hope she goes! And I hope that Yuna goes too, but I know it's not going to happen. :disapp:

Here's actually the full article. http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140305/732356915.html
They also tell the reasons for including Pogorilaya (someone in this thread was wondering why Pogorilaya and not Leonova). They say that they are looking forward to the next Olympic games, so they want to have a look at new and young athletes. And also Pogorilaya did well at the Russia's Cup.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Joubert won one world medal under 6.0 (silver in 2004) and five, including his world title, in the current system. If you throw in the ten Euros medals, he has more ISU championship medals than anyone currently competing. So it's not just the French skaters who would have difficulty matching what he's achieved ;)

Considering that Joubert was the most successful French skater of the past decade, it makes you wonder why his Federation treated him so badly. :scratch:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Re: Sotnikova

There's an old saying from Mark Twain: "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

I'll leave it to y'all to figure out its relevance.

:)

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I just want[ed] to see the[her] scoring in the world. It hasn't happened yet so I can't get over it. :biggrin:

me too XD The thought of her receiving the kind of scores she should have is my guilty pleasure. I know it's mean but I can't help it.
I was actually rooting for her, Yulia, Kaetlyn, Zijun for the next quad. But after the Olympics I had mixed feelings. I understood why she's not going given the pressure, backlash and physical stress but then Yulia is going and she performed 4 times in the Olympics and that made me somehow question Adelina skipping Worlds and commend Yulia's courage. I hope she (Yulia) medals. She's got a lot of good things going for her except height in jumps and wrong edge on Lutz. :)

Scott512

Record Breaker
I hope Adelina goes but i don't think she will for 2 reasons. She can't possibly as tired as she is physically and mentally get up for worlds like she did the olympics and perfrom at the level she did in Sochi. Also she has likely shut down her training and discipline for the time being after the olympics and turning it back on and go for the gold in Japan even with a lesser field than was in Sochi will not be easy.

I hope Adelina comes back in the fall with 8 triples and 6 combos instead of the 7 and 5 she did in Sochi. She can do it and I want her and others to raise the bar.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do think Wagner can beat Gold, even a good Gold, if she skates perfectly and cuts out the silly two foot landings. The scoring in Sochi indicates it is atleast possible.
Wagner won't beat a clean Gold now. Even with a fall Gracie scored over 9 points higher then Ashley did in the LP.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Han Yan has so much potential. I believe that he will get 2 spots for China this time. China has a very strong team of up-and-coming male skaters. Chinese fans should be thrilled with the future prospects.:yay:

I really agree. He showed what he can do in the short of COC. Technical skills, imagination - AND, the ability to project to the audience.

usethis2

Medalist
It will be curious if there will be a single judge who gives out 9.50 for Adelina's "Skating Skills," let alone marking overall PCS like 9.75/9.75/9.75/9.50/9.50.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's official. Adelina Sotnikova won't compete for the 2014 Worlds. She's listed as a 3rd sub. Pogo and Lip get to go. Good for Adelina. She does need a rest from this lengthy & stressful season and there's always a next year for that world's gold medal.

Link: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028068.htm

Wow, Russia is really risking only have two girls and this means the Gracie and or Wagner will be on the podium though I expect the Japanese ladies to do well in their home nation. I will be interested to see what happens in the dog;s breakfast with Li Osmond Mete, Helgesen, Murakami edmunds

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Wagner won't beat a clean Gold now. Even with a fall Gracie scored over 9 points higher then Ashley did in the LP.

Sadly, I agree. I still think Ashley trumps her in CH, IN and PE but the marks won't reflect that. If Gracie hadn't fallen on that 3F in Sochi she probably would have cracked 140+ in the FS and would have been much closer to a bronze medal. I'm sure the scores will calm down at worlds (for everyone) but the fact of the matter is Gracie has surpassed Ashley internationally as well as nationally.

I'm not sure what Ashley can do to step it up. That 3F-3T will be crucial but even with that I think she's fighting an uphill battle...

Scott512

Record Breaker
Oh for goodness sake. Get a grip - sorry I just had to say something.

Well said. Anyway it's fairly normal for olympic gold medalists or medalists of any colors to skip words which are only 1 month after the olympics. Some of them have an olympic letdown and the word championships don't mean as much as they would in anon olympic year. I wish Adelina was skating in Japan but only if she really wants to and is fired up for it. The gold medal in Japan is there for the taking that's for sure.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sadly, I agree. I still think Ashley trumps her in CH, IN and PE but the marks won't reflect that. If Gracie hadn't fallen on that 3F in Sochi she probably would have cracked 140+ in the FS and would have been much closer to a bronze medal. I'm sure the scores will calm down at worlds (for everyone) but the fact of the matter is Gracie has surpassed Ashley internationally as well as nationally.

Of course she has. I told you it would happen...it wasn't a matter of if, but when it would happen. Gold is just a better skater than Wagner overall - that's the reality of the situation. Gold was just being hindered by her inconsistency issues. Once she got over those, she was going to be the top American no matter what. I hope that her Olympics performances translate into a newer, mentally tougher Gold because we really need that now. It does remain to be seen whether Gold can handle the pressure of being a contender and not melt down in stunning fashion like Nagasu did 4 years ago...

I'm not sure what Ashley can do to step it up. That 3F-3T will be crucial but even with that I think she's fighting an uphill battle...

Like I said in the AW thread, depends on how the US field shapes up over the next couple of years, and whether she can maintain her current skills into her mid-20s (never mind improving).

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States

I also agree, her technical merit alone would keep her ahead internationally. I also think Gracie can taste it now and will continue to grow as an artist.

LRK

Record Breaker
Considering that Joubert was the most successful French skater of the past decade, it makes you wonder why his Federation treated him so badly. :scratch:

Even in his "decline" he was the best Frenchman at the Olympics and this year's Euros' - and I believe the last two World's at least? If I remember correctly?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ashley two footed most of her jumps, and Gold received a surprising LP score given that her clean LP in the Team finals was about 7 points lower. I wouldnt say it is a slam dunk that Ashley couldnt beat atleast a good Gold (maybe not a perfect Gold). Anyway the whole Sochi competition was corrupt and fixed so the scores of no skaters can be taken as a holy grail.

This is something I'm not hearing too many people mention when they complain about the scores. Yes, this was perplexing to say the least. I was expecting mid to high 120s. And Lipnitskaya was good, but 141?! You know, I can't even fault Wagner for her post-FS comments because so much, err....stuff happened in the scoring that doesn't make sense to me...

Worlds will tell the story. I do hope both can skate as well as they did in Sochi, but considering everything, I probably shouldn't hold my breath. All I know is - they better get it right this time...

Olympic

On the Ice
So, Adelina might go? Kind of a ****** thing to do to Anna Pogorilaya, though: List her as an entry, build up her hopes, then take it away.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley two footed most of her jumps, and Gold received a surprising LP score given that her clean LP in the Team finals was about 7 points lower. I wouldnt say it is a slam dunk that Ashley couldnt beat atleast a good Gold (maybe not a perfect Gold). Anyway the whole Sochi competition was corrupt and fixed so the scores of no skaters can be taken as a holy grail.

Only thing I would change may be the word corrupt and substitute it with "inflated for the Olympic spectacle". Unfairly at times even. Otherwise you are spot on here! Everyone except Ashley got pretty big inflation.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is something I'm not hearing too many people mention when they complain about the scores. Yes, this was perplexing to say the least. I was expecting mid to high 120s. And Lipnitskaya was good, but 141?! You know, I can't even fault Wagner for her post-FS comments because so much, err....stuff happened in the scoring that doesn't make sense to me...

I said the same thing. I would have put Yulia 135 or less with 141 being her lights out show. I love how when asked about her best skate she shrugged it off and said "that's just my best score". It isn't fair to her IMO for the judges to over mark her and give her that shady air that comes with it. Seriously the girl just wants to skate her best every time. The results should follow. It serves no purpose and I don't think she wanted it either!! I'm convinced 100% that she was without a doubt the best lady in the team event when you consider her efforts. I'm just glad she came away with that experience.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well I don't think anyone disputes that Lipnitskaya was the best in the ladies' team event (at least I don't). Sotnikova in the individual event is a different story, however, but that's for another thread.

Yes, those on the beneficiary side of shady scoring/results aren't helped, either...not only does it put them in an uncomfortable spot and create disincentive to improve, but it also makes them the target of angry skatefans (that one cannot be overlooked!).