2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I know the Russian Fed doesn't choose exactly- don't skaters get invitations to GPs based on the organizers' wishes/ the ISU's requirements for entrants (e.g. the skaters with top 6 placements at the previous worlds are seeded, a certain # of skaters with season's best scores, etc.)? Anyway, if that's the case, wouldn't Adelina probably get her pick of events given her marketability as the reigning Olympic gold medalist? I think she'd prob choose China and CoR if so.

So if you could choose the grand Prix Events to go to, would you choose the most easy or difficult ?.

amc987

On the Ice
So if you could choose the grand Prix Events to go to, would you choose the most easy or difficult ?.

I'd choose the easier ones if I were trying to rack up wins/ was concerned about trying to back up a somewhat controversial Olympic win.

winky97

Medalist
To be fair, Hanyu did fall twice to his OGM, so I certainly understand his assertion that he has something to prove.

From a skating standpoint, Adelina doesn't have that same burden. She skated two solid programs.

Adelina carries the burden of having OGM that many do not believe she earned. IMO her burden is far worse than Hanyu's. Particularly when you consider her interviews about wanting to get every gold medal out there.

Manitou

Medalist
Adelina carries the burden of having OGM that many do not believe she earned. IMO her burden is far worse ..

There is no such thing as "burden of having OGM" lol
I wish I had such a "burden"! :laugh:
You simply win it and then you celebrate it. And you don't have to prove anything. It's already yours and nobody ever is going to take it away from you! lol

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I'd choose the easier ones if I were trying to rack up wins/ was concerned about trying to back up a somewhat controversial Olympic win.

EVERY sane person would want the easier one's to get to the GPF.
Don't you get tired of calling it a controversial win. Most Olympic wins are. D/W 2014, Lipinski 98', G/P 98', Lysacek 2010.
Get over it. No one can take her Gold medal away.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I know I'm on Pangtonfan's ignore list so I won't quote him/her but I think they should be ready to be surprised.............

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree. Hanyu has no burden. There is no controversy over his gold medal. He is coming home to a home party and coronation in Japan, to an event he is certain to win unless he mops up the ice, and with the opportunity to greatly improve his Olympic performances just for fun. No pressure at all. Sotnikova has perhaps the biggest controversy in Olympic skating history (other than maybe pairs 2002) hanging over her. I honestly would be surprised to see her ever compete again, the same way both B&S and S&P never competed amateur again after Skategate in SLC.

I wouldn't exactly say Hanyu's win was uncontroversial. Get the right loud people or organizatons and easily there could be arguments that Hanyu was overmarked pc wise and Chan and Dai undermakred pc wise. Judges could ahve made up 6 or 7 marks pc wise between the two programs. Hanyu lacks the sophtistication and he was unable to utilize the youthfulness to his advantage like Tara Lip. did in 1998. Let's be honest she was a joy to watch but not very artisitci and if she was marked by COP she would lose probably her jumps were puny. Poor height, even poorer distance and probably edge issues and underrotations.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wouldn't exactly say Hanyu's win was uncontroversial. Get the right loud people or organizatons and easily there could be arguments that Hanyu was overmarked pc wise and Chan and Dai undermakred pc wise. Judges could ahve made up 6 or 7 marks pc wise between the two programs. Hanyu lacks the sophtistication and he was unable to utilize the youthfulness to his advantage like Tara Lip. did in 1998. Let's be honest she was a joy to watch but not very artisitci and if she was marked by COP she would lose probably her jumps were puny. Poor height, even poorer distance and probably edge issues and underrotations.
Dai was underscored in PCS, I do think so. But PChan? He had the highest PCS that night despite all the mistakes, please. I do think that Hanyu's PCS was too high but baring everything happened that night and the night before, Hanyu is the rightful winner.

Practically the kid was so lucky because Chan made too many mistakes but that is PChan's fault for not taking the gold. :mad:Yes, the PCS inflation is not okay but even if Hanyu and PChan's PCS dropped 5 points or even 10 points, they were still going to be the gold and silver medalist respectively (Hanyu score is 280 and PChan's is 275, and Ten the bronze medalist was scored 255).

The biggest problem of Hanyu's winning is that, even though he made a world record, and he deserved the gold (thanks to others skated badly), he did in fact fell twice. I do hope he will make it up in Worlds.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

I don't think anyone would say Daisuke should have won, considering he was all the way back in 6th place. I'm not dissing him, I'm actually a huge fan, but I would have been shocked to hear someone say that after the competition ended.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Dai was underscored in PCS, I do think so. But PChan? He had the highest PCS that night despite all the mistakes, please. I do think that Hanyu's PCS was too high but baring everything happened that night and the night before, Hanyu is the rightful winner.

Practically the kid was so lucky because Chan made too many mistakes but that is PChan's fault for not taking the gold. :mad:Yes, the PCS inflation is not okay but even if Hanyu and PChan's PCS dropped 5 points or even 10 points, they were still going to be the gold and silver medalist respectively (Hanyu score is 280 and PChan's is 275, and Ten the bronze medalist was scored 255).

The biggest problem of Hanyu's winning is that, even though he made a world record, and he deserved the gold (thanks to others skated badly), he did in fact fell twice. I do hope he will make it up in Worlds.

Yea. I am just angry sometimes when people say oh fell 2 time etc. Yea, he fell 2 times, but still it is about fighting to the end, and the kid was doing that no matter what. In comparison in Patrick FS I just couldn't see in him "I want to win that". He was running out of faith in the program after first mistakes, and doubling a tripple jump. Still people don't count kid still made big impression setting historical score in SP. I don't see anyone being able to beat that in coming years.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
How can you say D&W's OGM was controversial? You must be Canadian!

If that's me you are quoting, I'm American.
D/W OGM was never in doubt. Not everyone sees flags when watching skating. I do not just support a skater because of the country they come from. If I like them, I like them. Who cares what country they skate for ?

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Yea. I am just angry sometimes when people say oh fell 2 time etc. Yea, he fell 2 times, but still it is about fighting to the end, and the kid was doing that no matter what. In comparison in Patrick FS I just couldn't see in him "I want to win that". He was running out of faith in the program after first mistakes, and doubling a tripple jump. Still people don't count kid still made big impression setting historical score in SP. I don't see anyone being able to beat that in coming years.

I agree that Yuzuru's record breaking SP (which has a sophisticated vibe and an electric energy to it) put Patrick on the back foot especially considering Patrick's lower base value as to technical elements in his LP. Patrick also did not have the kind of skate in the LP that would give him the PCS score to overtake Yuzuru.

cdngirl

On the Ice
I don't think anyone would say Daisuke should have won, considering he was all the way back in 6th place. I'm not dissing him, I'm actually a huge fan, but I would have been shocked to hear someone say that after the competition ended.

I actually think Daisuke could have won the Bronze had he been given the correct PC scores that he deserved. He was one of the few during the FS that didn't fall. I know he didn't land his jumps because of his injury but I thought both his SP and FS were extremely underscored.

noskates

Record Breaker
How can you say D&W's OGM was controversial? You must be Canadian!

Here I am quoting myself. IMO anyone who didn't think that D&W didn't earn their OGM - and hadn't been besting V&M for the past 4 years....I have to wonder about! So the only explanation to me would be patriotism.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Here I am quoting myself. IMO anyone who didn't think that D&W didn't earn their OGM - and hadn't been besting V&M for the past 4 years....I have to wonder about! So the only explanation to me would be patriotism.

You are wrong. If you like D/W more then okay but to say that D/W have been better than V/M every time for the past 4 years is just not true. V/M were better than D/W in the GPF a few months ago but the result was IMO wrong.
All I'm saying is that the last thing to make me support a skater would be what country they come from. I don't care where they come from. So please don't say that would be the only reason. I'm American yet liked the Canadians better. So what ?.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are wrong. If you like D/W more then okay but to say that D/W have been better than V/M every time for the past 4 years is just not true. V/M were better than D/W in the GPF a few months ago but the result was IMO wrong.
All I'm saying is that the last thing to make me support a skater would be what country they come from. I don't care where they come from. So please don't say that would be the only reason. I'm American yet liked the Canadians better. So what ?.

I'm from the US and prefer V/M, and while I think it was inevitable that D/W were going to win the OGM, doesn't mean I agree with the result but I accept it.

Midnight Skater is right, you can't make generalizations about fan preference based on patriotism.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
I'm from the US and prefer V/M, and while I think it was inevitable that D/W were going to win the OGM, doesn't mean I agree with the result but I accept it.

Midnight Skater is right, you can't make generalizations about fan preference based on patriotism.

Hear hear! Such a refreshing and welcome sentiment. If only it pervaded the ranks of skating officials. I sincerely hope that the fallout from Sochi doesn't result in a blind backlash against Russian skaters. The skater I'm most excited about, and the one whose artistry has entranced me in a way few have since the likes of Chen Lu, is Elena Radionova. If she survives her growth spurt and builds solid technique to back up her obvious artistic gifts, she could win all there is to win. Mesmerizing.