2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No, he specifically mentions it (here).
And yes, he probably wasn't supposed to say it until it is announced officially.

Well canada could be down to one guy. what a mess Reynolds better get it together. Hard to beleive a power house ike canda couldn't qualify thier entire team to skate the freeskate at the olympics. Liam needed to do the Jason Brown thing but he didn\t' have the vheicle or the skating skills he is a very very cheap or developing rendition of Buttle or Chan.

caitie

Medalist
It's not looking good for Davis and White showing up at Worlds. Meryl tweeted a pic of her and Charlie at an Oscars after party, which means they are in L.A. and lends credence to the DWTS rumors. One of their costume designers who used to work on the show also tweeted his congrats to them for joining the cast the other day. Looks like Charlie cut his hair too, which I think is usually an end-of-season ritual for him?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhyVhOpCUAANo6m.jpg

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...e-and-meryl-davis-attend-news-photo/476340479

OT: I really like Meryl's dress-- it's flattering without being safe or boring! And Charlie looks dapper too.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It's not looking good for Davis and White showing up at Worlds. Meryl tweeted a pic of her and Charlie at an Oscars after party, which means they are in L.A. and lends credence to the DWTS rumors. One of their costume designers who used to work on the show also tweeted his congrats to them for joining the cast the other day. Looks like Charlie cut his hair too, which I think is usually an end-of-season ritual for him?
If that's true, I'm all for it - it'll be nice to move on to the future and have someone other than the Canton teams win it.

Charlie White's hair isn't that short, though.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhyVhOpCUAANo6m.jpg

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...e-and-meryl-davis-attend-news-photo/476340479

OT: I really like Meryl's dress-- it's flattering without being safe or boring! And Charlie looks dapper too.

Thanks for sharing. They both look wonderful!

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
But this list cannot be official???

For example:
It includes five U.S men (Aaron, Abbott, Brown, Farris, Dornbush) -- but the U.S. has only two slots for men.

The list includes alternates. All skaters listed are nominated for Worlds, which means those not on this list (such as Chan and Joubert) can't go. But, for example, the U.S. is not yet required to send Aaron and Abbott. A substitution is possible from the other three listed.

nineteen86

Spectator
But this list cannot be official???

For example:
It includes five U.S men (Aaron, Abbott, Brown, Farris, Dornbush) -- but the U.S. has only two slots for men.

The list in the link also includes alternates as declared by the country's skating federation, at least from what I'm gathering from the official naming of the US World Team by USFSA.

According to USFSA (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=49829&type=media), Abbott and Aaron were nominated for the 2 Worlds slots, and the following were nominated alternates in this order:
Alternate No. 1 - Jason Brown
Alternate No. 2 - Joshua Farris
Alternate No. 3 - Richard Dornbush

*Edit 9:06 with correct nominations!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The list in the link also includes alternates as declared by the country's skating federation, at least from what I'm gathering from the official naming of the US World Team by USFSA.

According to USFSA (http://usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49828&type=media), Abbott and Brown were nominated for the 2 Worlds slots, and the following were nominated alternates in this order:
Alternate No. 1 - Max Aaron
Alternate No. 2 - Joshua Farris
Alternate No. 3 - Richard Dornbush

Note: For Worlds (not the Olympics), USFS named Abbott and Aaron to its two slots. For Worlds, the alternates are Brown, Farris, and Dornbush.

Wonder why Hubbell/Donohue -- who were named as first alternates for Worlds by USFS -- are not on the dance list at the link.

nineteen86

Spectator
Thank you for the correction! I'm running on little sleep atm and didn't realize I read my link incorrectly!

Moving along... it's going to be a less exciting Worlds from the looks of it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Looks like in ladies, other than Kim it's a full field.

I admit, a little disappointed as I'm ready to see new faces at the top. I guess it could still happen, though, given the Russians and what happened in Sochi.

Could be Gold's best shot at the podium here - I hope she makes the most of it.

keasus

On the Ice
Not looking forward to the coronation of I/K in ice dance with that cheesy program and mediocre skating skills. I will be cheering for P/B of France to take gold especially after being denied a medal in Soschi. I would also be gratifying to see W/P of Canada and any of the American teams do well. I do not want to revert to the over-the-top Russian domination of this discipline (Klimova and Ponomorenko ARE NOT in this category; they were divine), not when we have come so far.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Aww, I kept hoping Meryl and Charlie would go. I wanted to enjoy them in one more competition. Though I can completely understand how hard it must be to keep on mentally and physically after winning Olympic Gold -- plus the other offers and commitments.

Sigh. I'll have to watch DWTS again and I had really weaned off that show.

Agree that I'm ready in a way for new blood -- but I wanted it AFTER this Worlds.

Putting all my hopes on P/B to get a podium finish, and preferably at the top, not that that's gonna happen.

Cornfed

Spectator
Wonder why Hubbell/Donohue -- who were named as first alternates for Worlds by USFS -- are not on the dance list at the link.
Am I the only one not seeing Davis & White on that list? [ETA: ah, I see rallycairn just addressed it.] Is this an official listing?

caitie

Medalist
Madi said at 4CC that her cortisone shot was wearing off and she was in pain, and until recently D/W seemed intent on going to Worlds so they probably figured their season was over and perhaps Madison has already had her surgery. I wish her a speedy recovery!

I'm sad about D/W, tbh. I always expected them at Worlds because they've been saying since January that they hoped to compete there, and their parents said as recently as the day after their win that they would be there. But I guess DWTS is too much of an opportunity to pass up. I was hoping for the closure of watching them compete knowing that it was their last competition, though! :scowl:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
.... I was hoping for the closure of watching them compete knowing that it was their last competition, though! :scowl:

Exactly! Though their Olympic performances were certainly grand enough to be their final competitive performances, in my mind they still had Worlds to go, so I want my closure! wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh whine whine

Well, again, I can understand it. Beforehand I would imagine it's comparatively easy to think you can psyche yourself up and keep up with your training after the Olympics, but I imagine the reality of the pressure to go on rounds of interviews and be involved in this and that -- not just for the monetary gains but because you are pressured to believe you are letting fans/agents/family/ "people" down if you don't do all the appearances -- make it very hard to get back into training, practically and physically and mentally.

Still, I whine -- for myself!