2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
This worlds won't be that exciting :/

Why? Lots of great skaters. If they (or at least some) perform their best I will be happy. Men's olympic FS was horrible to watch. World's can only be better and more exciting... I hope :eek:hwell:

I think the official entrants list will be here.

KJGL

Rinkside
Why? Lots of great skaters. If they (or at least some) perform their best I will be happy. Men's olympic FS was horrible to watch. World's can only be better and more exciting... I hope :eek:hwell:

Very true about the men's olympic FS, and the talent is so deep in that division that if they skate well at worlds it could be a great event.

Any word on the US men's team--whether Abbott will go, or could the team end up being Aaron and Brown? The chance of US men being able to get a 3rd team member for next year would be slim with either combo, but just based on Aaron's World results last year and Jason's Olympic performance (especially the SP but his 9th place final standing as well), Aaron and Brown would seem to have a somewhat better chance of getting it done.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
i know dwts pays very nicely but is it really that big of an opportunity and worth missing another world title over? it didn't do much for evan

mskater93

Record Breaker
Any word on the US men's team--whether Abbott will go, or could the team end up being Aaron and Brown? The chance of US men being able to get a 3rd team member for next year would be slim with either combo, but just based on Aaron's World results last year and Jason's Olympic performance (especially the SP but his 9th place final standing as well), Aaron and Brown would seem to have a somewhat better chance of getting it done.
According to Jeremy's FB, he's going...

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

I know, I'm just nostalgic because some of the best won't be there. And about men's FS I agree it was awful :disapp: so I have high expectations about what's going to happen, oh well my excitement just increased :laugh:

KJGL

Rinkside
i know dwts pays very nicely but is it really that big of an opportunity and worth missing another world title over? it didn't do much for evan

Evan did really well, he just had the misfortune to have to compete against a professional dancer (she was a Pussycat Doll, I can't remember her name) who was partnered with Derek Hough.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Per this post from semogal at FSU.

A contract from 2012:
base of $125,000 for appearing
Weeks 3 & 4: $10,000 per week ($20K total)
Weeks 5 & 6: $20,000 per week ($40K total)
Weeks 7 & 8: $30,000 per week ($60K total)
Weeks 9 & 10: $50,000 per week ($100K total)

The gold medal from Worlds that same year was $67,500 for both of them. The contract above is per person.

So even if they don't last beyond the first two weeks, they will already get more than they would have if they went to Worlds.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will be cheering for P/B of France to take gold especially after being denied a medal in Sochi. I would also be gratifying to see W/P of Canada and any of the American teams do well. I do not want to revert to the over-the-top Russian domination of this discipline (Klimova and Ponomorenko ARE NOT in this category; they were divine), not when we have come so far.

:agree:

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Evan did really well, he just had the misfortune to have to compete against a professional dancer (she was a Pussycat Doll, I can't remember her name) who was partnered with Derek Hough.

i only watched a couple of episodes with evan, but i mean like long term big picture view, it's not like it did anything big for his career or reputation or anything? unless meryl and charlie are just doing it for the $$$ in which case get money yall, figure skating aint cheap. if i were in their shoes though, i'd take another world title over a reality tv show...especially if i was tied with my biggest rivals in no. of world titles and olympic medals and they were retiring. just for, yknow, history purposes

Per this post from semogal at FSU.

The gold medal from Worlds that same year was $67,500 for both of them. The contract above is per person.

So even if they don't last beyond the first two weeks, they will already get more than they would have if they went to Worlds.

i know dwts has a nicer paycheck...

...but another world championship > winning dancing with the stars as far as legacy goes

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
i only watched a couple of episodes with evan, but i mean like long term big picture view, it's not like it did anything big for his career or reputation or anything? unless meryl and charlie are just doing it for the $$$ in which case get money yall, figure skating aint cheap. if i were in their shoes though, i'd take another world title over a reality tv show...especially if i was tied with my biggest rivals in no. of world titles and olympic medals and they were retiring. just for, yknow, history purposes

Or maybe they just want to do something different. Competition can be grueling.

As for long-term, both seem intent on finishing school (they have been college juniors for like four years) and pursuing careers outside of skating. Certainly $125k would help pay for that!

As for legacy, I suppose it would be nice if they could have one more title than Tessa and Scott, but they already have plenty to be proud of -- first U.S. world/Olympic champion, six u.s. titles (most ever and unlikely to be surpassed any time soon), six GPF titles, three undefeated seasons....I mean there's plenty to look back on!

KJGL

Rinkside

that's an interesting thought about treating this WC like a "rubber match" to break the tie :)

other considerations: DWTS would give them ten weeks of tv exposure on one of tv's most watched shows, while otoh we're all trying to figure out where we're even going to be able to watch the WCs, so staying in the public eye might bring them more opportunities and endorsements.

and the fact that D/W have all the most recent wins in the rivalry may decide the tie in their thinking.

As for legacy, I suppose it would be nice if they could have one more title than Tessa and Scott, but they already have plenty to be proud of -- first U.S. world/Olympic champion, six u.s. titles (most ever and unlikely to be surpassed any time soon), six GPF titles, three undefeated seasons....I mean there's plenty to look back on!

Have they announced their retirement from competitively skating then?

KJGL

Rinkside
According to Jeremy's FB, he's going...

Well, there's nothing can be done about that, then. He won nationals so it's his slot. Would have loved to see them make a push for that third team member in the first competition of the new Olympic cycle, though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49941&type=media

U.S. Entries

Ladies
Gracie, Polina, Ashley
Men
Jeremy, Max
Pair
Marissa and Simon, John and Cayde
Dance
Madison and Evan, Maia and Alex, Alexandra Aldridge and Daniel Eaton

Madison Hubbell is getting her torn hip labrum repaired.

Meryl and Charlie have not ruled out competing next year.

KJGL

Rinkside
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49941&type=media

U.S. Entries

Ladies
Gracie, Polina, Ashley
Men
Jeremy, Max
Pair
Marissa and Simon, John and Cayde
Dance
Madison and Evan, Maia and Alex, Alexandra Aldridge and Daniel Eaton

Madison Hubbell is getting her torn hip labrum repaired.

Meryl and Charlie have not ruled out competing next year.

thanks for posting this. a question--if Jeremy matched his highest finish at Worlds, which was a 5th, and Max duplicated his 7th place finish of last year, we'd get the third team member, is that right?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
thanks for posting this. a question--if Jeremy matched his highest finish at Worlds, which was a 5th, and Max duplicated his 7th place finish of last year, we'd get the third team member, is that right?

5+7=12 which < 13 so yes

Patrick and Jason are the only ones from the top 10 not competing. So we got from the Olympics (in placement order)

Hanyu
Ten
Fernandez
Machida
Takahashi
Yan
Liebers
Brezina
Abbott
Majorov
Reynolds
Hendrixx