2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Any word on the US men's team--whether Abbott will go, or could the team end up being Aaron and Brown? The chance of US men being able to get a 3rd team member for next year would be slim with either combo, but just based on Aaron's World results last year and Jason's Olympic performance (especially the SP but his 9th place final standing as well), Aaron and Brown would seem to have a somewhat better chance of getting it done.

I agree about the chance for either combo to get the third spot is slim :no:

Well, there's nothing can be done about that, then. He won nationals so it's his slot. Would have loved to see them make a push for that third team member in the first competition of the new Olympic cycle, though.

I'm sure Max and Jeremy are pushing for that third spot :yes:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I'm sure Max and Jeremy are pushing for that third spot :yes:

Go, Max and Jeremy! :yay:

Too bad that Hubbell/Donohue will miss Worlds. Hope that her surgery goes well.

Incredible opportunity for Aldridge/Eaton. TurboMom must be over the moon with excitement. I wonder whether she will accompany them.

... other considerations: DWTS would give them ten weeks of tv exposure on one of tv's most watched shows, while otoh we're all trying to figure out where we're even going to be able to watch the WCs, so staying in the public eye might bring them more opportunities and endorsements.

Yes, who knows where notoriety from DWTS could lead for Davis and White?
And not only for their personal gain -- but also for the benefit of the causes near and dear to them, such as Classroom Champions ... not to mention US Figure Skating.

DWTS led to broadcasting gigs for Mario Lopez and Melissa Rycroft (I'm scared that I even know her name -- the once-jilted Bachelor contestant).
And it led that female wrestler (whose name completely escapes me) to a long-term relationship with George Clooney. :yes:

hyperinflation

Match Penalty

uh absolutely nothing if we're looking at what the show has done for past contestants?

DWTS led to broadcasting gigs for Mario Lopez and Melissa Rycroft (I'm scared that I even know her name -- the once-jilted Bachelor contestant).
And it led that female wrestler (whose name completely escapes me) to a long-term relationship with George Clooney

pretty sure none of these are due to dwts and due to other things already in the works. and even if they were due to dwts, wow 3 "success" stories from like, what, thirty seasons worth of contestants, that's a terrible success rate

whatever i think i'm just bitter that everyone i like is retiring...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A realization after seeing this tweet from USFS:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 3h
.@Meryl_Davis and @CharlieaWhite will not defend their World title this year. Photo from last year's Worlds >> pic.twitter.com/LcwRa8TR33

The last dance pair to defend their title was Denkova /Staviski in 2007. Sort of sad that Meryl and Charlie won't break that streak....

slider11

Medalist
Sad not to see Davis and White and Virtue and Moir at Worlds. But I'm excited too see how the other Canadians fare at Worlds. With V/M withdrawl, is Gilles and Poirier in? I would like that! I'm also really excited to see Weaver and Poje make it to the podium. Love their FD this year! I also have a soft spot for P/B from France and C/L from Italy. Such sophisticated and interesting skaters. As much as Elena and Nikita pushed the button for every Russian fan, I'm not so sure I get them. The definitely picked the right music for the Russian Olympics. And as much as they personify the ballerina and partner, I'm wondering if they will be able to hold that high level out of home base.

On a separate note, how in the world are D/W going to do DWTS and perform in Stars on Ice? I don't know the details of DWTS, but I thought they practice a month or so before the show starts. That's about the time that SOI begins and it seems like a pretty full schedule from early April -end of May. Are they hoping they get voted off week 1 and 2 of DWTS? I guess because they are at-peak athletes, they should have no problem with the endurance but it just seems like a break-neck schedule. I still haven't heard that this is official so maybe it's just speculation.

gmyers

Record Breaker
What's worlds going to be like without both the consistency machines? Without the other it would've been like a GP event for either D/W or V/M! It would've been so easy to win! But like a GP event without V/M And D/W it's almost totally wide open. It's very suspenseful. I/K, P/B, C/L, W/P, B/S, could all win! The world championship hasn't been so open since 2009 I guess.

caitie

Medalist
With V/M withdrawl, is Gilles and Poirier in?

They are! NGL, I am really excited to see the Hitchcock FD one last time this season!

On a separate note, how in the world are D/W going to do DWTS and perform in Stars on Ice? I don't know the details of DWTS, but I thought they practice a month or so before the show starts. That's about the time that SOI begins and it seems like a pretty full schedule from early April -end of May. Are they hoping they get voted off week 1 and 2 of DWTS? I guess because they are at-peak athletes, they should have no problem with the endurance but it just seems like a break-neck schedule. I still haven't heard that this is official so maybe it's just speculation.

Well, there is a precedent. Evan did DWTS along with SOI and missed very few dates back in 2010, and I believe there were more dates back then than there are now. And back then it was two episodes a week instead of just the one it is now! But it will definitely keep them really busy, and probably they'll be looking at a lot of jet lag. And aw, they'll probably be inflicting it on their pros, too. I remember Anna tagged along with Evan to his SOI shows to rehearse when they could.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
CBC confirmed that Patric Chan and Tessa and Scot won't go to the Worlds. I wonder if Jason Brown will be skating. In the beginning he was not scheduled for the worlds. Hope they reconsider that decision. Jason really needs more exposure at senior level. I also wish to see Julia again.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
CBC confirmed that Patric Chan and Tessa and Scot won't go to the Worlds. I wonder if Jason Brown will be skating. In the beginning he was not scheduled for the worlds. Hope they reconsider that decision. Jason really needs more exposure at senior level. I also wish to see Julia again.

For now, the answer is no. The news release states that Max and Jeremy are going.

Zamboni

On the Ice
Go, Max and Jeremy! :yay:

Too bad that Hubbell/Donohue will miss Worlds. Hope that her surgery goes well.

Incredible opportunity for Aldridge/Eaton. TurboMom must be over the moon with excitement. I wonder whether she will accompany them.

And not only for their personal gain -- but also for the benefit of the causes near and dear to them, such as Classroom Champions ... not to mention US Figure Skating.

And it led that female wrestler (whose name completely escapes me) to a long-term relationship with George Clooney. :yes:

Aldridge/Eaton must be thrilled, but who's TurboMom?

ETA: Oops, I found out she posts on GoldenSkate.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, this means there is a very good chance both the US and Canada will drop to 2 teams in Ice Dance at Worlds next year. And for Ice Dancing, this WC is going to very revealing as a preview of the next quad. If I/K win it, look for less complex tech content and a huge boost in the Uber!Drama! content for the next four years.

Zamboni

On the Ice
Unfortunately, this means there is a very good chance both the US and Canada will drop to 2 teams in Ice Dance at Worlds next year. And for Ice Dancing, this WC is going to very revealing at a preview of the next quad. If I/K win it, look for less complex tech content and a huge boost in the Uber!Drama! content for the next four years.

With both Marlie and Voir out, it looks like it's theirs to win.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm still kind of an outsider looking in on Ice Dance but C/L really caught my attention in Sochi. I like it when the girl leads and I kind of get the impression Anna runs the show. I'm defenitely keeping an eye on them. Are they likely to retire after worlds? I read a post somewhere saying this is likely their last event. I really hope that's not true because they are fun to watch!

wishonastar

On the Ice
I feel C/B and Shibs have a very good chance of keeping the US at 3 teams for next season. Concern for Canada-W/P could be strong with top teams out, but not sure about G/P and P/I.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Ice Dancing will be competitive this year.

good, i hope there's lots of drama, blood and tears

i like d/w and v/m but man, it was no fun whenever they showed up and you knew someone would have to pull a tonya harding on both teams to see the top of the podium

Becki

Medalist
I'm still kind of an outsider looking in on Ice Dance but C/L really caught my attention in Sochi. I like it when the girl leads and I kind of get the impression Anna runs the show. I'm defenitely keeping an eye on them. Are they likely to retire after worlds? I read a post somewhere saying this is likely their last event. I really hope that's not true because they are fun to watch!

I really hope P/B will win! It would be a dream come true for them :)