2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
To let it go would imply tacit agreement. When nothing is said, nothing changes. And the judging is in dire need of changing.

Why ?. Because you did not agree with the result ?.
Plenty of Non-Russian people thought the result was correct.
I watched the ladies last group again last night.
Kim had no triple loop & two triple salchows.
Also she had very little tango moves in her choreography. If you watch her program with no sound you would have no idea what she was skating to. A skater of Kim's talent should have done more. Adelina stepped up her game. She won. You may not like it but it's a fact.
Why now for the second time a Russian win has been questioned should the entire sport be turned upside down ?.
The Canadians cried "foul" in 2002 until they got their own way. It was close in 2002 but what followed was awful for the sport.
Kim did not win, does that make her less of a great skater ?. No. Adelina won & I wish her nothing but the best for the future.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
The inflation of the scores was NOT without a reason in Sochi in the shadow of the big one's (Like Davis/White and Virtue/Moir etc.)
It was to determine the results for the future. Can you imagine Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Stolbova/Klimov (they have been great in pairs event anyway!) to get 7s or 8s in the PCS after they got high 9s and some 10s at the Olympics in their age of 15-19 y.o.?

It never happened before and will never happen (to drop that much)...

Exactly! However, if the point for artificial inflation of scores is to provide medal conteders for big federations even in periods they don't have appropriate talents, then it's time for Americans to get over-inflated at Worlds :)

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Well, it might get refreshed soon. Worlds will bring new results to discuss :laugh:

If Gracie wins the ladies event at the Worlds with four falls & the Russian girls skate clean I doubt there would be as much outrage.
Remember Russian skaters are the root of all evil & North American skaters are all that is good in skating..........
I'm American but cringe at what some so-called skating fans have posted on here since Sochi.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Why ?. Because you did not agree with the result ?.
Plenty of Non-Russian people thought the result was correct.
I watched the ladies last group again last night.
Kim had no triple loop & two triple salchows.
Also she had very little tango moves in her choreography. If you watch her program with no sound you would have no idea what she was skating to. A skater of Kim's talent should have done more. Adelina stepped up her game. She won. You may not like it but it's a fact.
Why now for the second time a Russian win has been questioned should the entire sport be turned upside down ?.
The Canadians cried "foul" in 2002 until they got their own way. It was close in 2002 but what followed was awful for the sport.
Kim did not win, does that make her less of a great skater ?. No. Adelina won & I wish her nothing but the best for the future.

Because there's been something wrong with the sport for a long time and it happened it was a Russian skater win that added the last drop.
This article was published before Men's event but the problems it discusses are the same we discussed so heatedly after Ladies:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/s...ing-figure-skating-gets-mixed-marks.html?_r=0

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Because there's been something wrong with the sport for a long time and it happened it was a Russian skater win that added the last drop.
This article was published after Men's event but the problems it discusses are the same we discussed so heatedly after Ladies:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/s...ing-figure-skating-gets-mixed-marks.html?_r=0
Unless you get rid of EVERY judge in the sport you will always get the same results.
After SLC I remember saying to my sister that it wrong to change the system without changing the judges too. They will always find a way to keep the results in the order they want.
The top two in Ice Dance has been the same for 5 years. That's wrong as there have been times when both V/M & D/W made errors yet were held up by the judges.
There was no way that D/W were not going to win Gold in Sochi. That was a scandal too.
The judges see what they want to see. Most of them are set in their ways. Young judges are rare.
I had no problem with EITHER Kim or Sotnikova winning the Gold. It was close.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Unless you get rid of EVERY judge in the sport you will always get the same results.
After SLC I remember saying to my sister that it wrong to change the system without changing the judges too. They will always find a way to keep the results in the order they want.
The top two in Ice Dance has been the same for 5 years. That's wrong as there have been times when both V/M & D/W made errors yet were held up by the judges.
There was no way that D/W were not going to win Gold in Sochi. That was a scandal too.
The judges see what they want to see. Most of them are set in their ways. Young judges are rare.
I had no problem with EITHER Kim or Sotnikova winning the Gold. It was close.

One thing is clear, ISU has something to think about because it doesn't look like this situation helps the popularity of the sport :)

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
One thing is clear, ISU has something to think about because it doesn't look like this situation helps the popularity of the sport :)
That & stupid costumes. The times I have defended skating to my family & then a skater wearing & truly awful costume comes on & the credibility of skating goes out the window......................

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That & stupid costumes. The times I have defended skating to my family & then a skater wearing & truly awful costume comes on & the credibility of skating goes out the window......................

Pfft, the costumes hardly make a difference.

But I tell you what does turn casuals off...when someone can fall on their backside four times in one competition and still win. (Oh wait, I forgot. That was the Canadians who fixed that, so it's all okay! No evil Russians!)

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Pfft, the costumes hardly make a difference.

But I tell you what does turn casuals off...when someone can fall on their backside four times in one competition and still win. (Oh wait, I forgot. That was the Canadians who fixed that, so it's all okay! No evil Russians!)
I tried to take my younger brother skating, he was terrified he would have to dress like Javier Fernandez !

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This article was published before Men's event but the problems it discusses are the same we discussed so heatedly after Ladies:

^This. And it is not just "oh those evil Ruskies" (although their skaters have benefited from inflationary scores far more than any other skaters). Plenty of Americans were upset over Davis & White's scores (I agree--they should have won but the point spread between them and Virtue and Moor strains credibility). It doesn't matter WHO benefits. Corruption is corruption. It not only stinks, but it rots the sport from the inside out.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
--Getting back on topic, I'm sorry about Chan and Daisuke not going.
I wonder which new faces we may see on the podium?
I think Machida and Fernandez.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Aw, the topic - sorry so much! - I wanted to say it's apalling that Daisuke is not going to skate (I guess he'll be there to watch :) ) because of an injury which means he won't skate Gala :disapp:
A reall loss to me!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Takahashi has withdrawn due to injury

:cry::cry::cry: Jeff, Stephane, Evan and Johnny already retired. No Brian, no Tomas at the Worlds. And now no Daisuke...all of my most favorite skaters are gone.;;;;;;;; Figure skating won't be the same for me.

Lota

Record Breaker
I was so excited for the men's competition, but Dai has withdrawn :cry: Of course I'm still going to watch it, but I was so looking forward to seeing him perform again...

What I'm really looking forward to now is ice dance. Though I'm terribly sad to see V/M and D/W go, I think I'm ready for the others now. Or so I say, truth be told, if they do end up retiring, it's going to be really sad for me for a while. Buuut, at least for the Worlds, I'm really excited for couples we haven't seen much of, like Hurtado/Diaz. I haven't been really paying attention to them, but their FD blew my mind when I saw it at the Olympics, so really looking forward to seeing them again. Then there's the other young couple I fell in love with this year, Papadakis/Cizeron. So far they haven't really fullfilled their potential, hopefully they reach their peak at Worlds, and if they don't... well, we'll always have Paris :laugh: Also excited for canadians Paul/Islam and Gilles/Poirier. And for other more... well known couples. Anyway, can't wait!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Thinking that P/B or (more probably) I/K or B/S will become WC is really strange!!

emma

Record Breaker
Oh, I hate to hear that Daisuke won't be competing, especially because it is in Japan. I hate more to think that he is now done with competitive skating - but, wish him the very best and look forward to seeing him shows or whatever!