Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    me too and that's why I didn't bother to even read this until now
    Sorry for the confusing title. But this is a valid question as some skaters skip worlds in olympic season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Sorry for the confusing title. But this is a valid question as some skaters skip worlds in olympic season.
    Well I'm not going

The only skater from the ladies that I feel I can say w/o a doubt won't go is Yuna. I think the current Russians and Americans will go unless they get injured at the Games regardless of placement at the Olympics.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    I think there was a thread on the topic of 2014 Worlds started a few weeks back, but I guess this can be the updated version.

Has anyone heard whether Virtue & Moir have made a final, official decision yet? Back in November they said on CBC TV that Sochi would be their last competition, but is it possible they could change their mind depending on what happens at the Olympics this week, or that Skate Canada might try to persuade them to go to Worlds?
    Cross-posting from the Olympic FD thread:

I know the conventional wisdom has been that Virtue/Moir will not compete at Worlds.

And this quote today from Moir is de facto confirmation:
    "It was what we wanted to do today. That was our best performance of the year for that program. That program was our baby and it's special for us to perform it for the last time," Moir explained.

Custom Title
    USFS are basically saying they don't give a crap about getting a third spot for an up and coming skater if they don't strongarm Jeremy into withdrawing due to injury/retiring so Jason can go. What a waste it will be so that Jeremy can attempt yet another redemptive moment and finish 7th-12th.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post

I know the conventional wisdom has been that Virtue/Moir will not compete at Worlds.

"It was what we wanted to do today. That was our best performance of the year for that program. That program was our baby and it's special for us to perform it for the last time," Moir explained.
    Tessa and Scott were being interviewed on the French-Canadian TV channel after their FD today and Tessa said that they hadn't decided about Worlds yet. (BTW, they were being interviewed in English and the interviewer was translating the questions and answers to French.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post

Does "last time" refer to worlds or Olympics? "That program was our baby" Does WAS mean no more?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    USFS are basically saying they don't give a crap about getting a third spot for an up and coming skater if they don't strongarm Jeremy into withdrawing due to injury/retiring so Jason can go. What a waste it will be so that Jeremy can attempt yet another redemptive moment and finish 7th-12th.
    While I'd prefer Jason to go and not Jeremy, this is a different situation than Flatt's or Czisny's. He is fully healthy but just not a consistent competitor. The USFSA awarded him the spot although they didn't have to. I hope this blows up in their face so they finally decide to make better decisions about assigning skaters to important events.

Custom Title
    Jason posted an instagram picture either today or yesterday showing he was back on the ice practicing and that possibilities are endless. WHY on earth would he be practicing if he wasn't going to Worlds. Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post

Abbott now says he will go.
    Is this confirmed?
    I knew he would go even though he said initially that he would retire after the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Why is this a Jeremy v. Jason thing when the whole thing is only due to USFS leapfrogging Max Aaron over Jason for Worlds? Strong arm the third placer. Jeremy won nationals so if someone needs to be booted so Jason can increase his credentials let it be Max.

I still think USFS made the faulty assumption that Jeremy would definitely retire after the Olympics so they could get away with picking Max so he keeps training. That's their bad.

I really hope S/S stick around for Worlds to leave on a better note. And I'll be dumbfounded if V/T don't go. They have a healthy cushion over S/S. They have an enormous cushion over everyone else. They'd be fools not to get the easy win.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diane044 View Post
    Tessa and Scott were being interviewed on the French-Canadian TV channel after their FD today and Tessa said that they hadn't decided about Worlds yet. (BTW, they were being interviewed in English and the interviewer was translating the questions and answers to French.)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Does "last time" refer to worlds or Olympics? "That program was our baby" Does WAS mean no more?
    Well ... at the time of my post, it seemed clear to me that "last time" meant "today." And that "was" meant that Virtue/Moir will not be competing the program again after Sochi.
    But ... sorry, I myself now am confused after reading diane's post.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Jason posted an instagram picture either today or yesterday showing he was back on the ice practicing and that possibilities are endless. WHY on earth would he be practicing if he wasn't going to Worlds. Makes no sense.
    Jason is the official first alternate for Worlds. He is being responsible (no surprise for Jason ) to continue training even if he has not been given any guarantee that he will compete in place of Abbott. Even if Abbott at this point wants to keep his options open, hypothetically his back could start giving him trouble again or who knows what? (Not wishing anything ill on Abbott -- just answering noskates' question.)

Custom Title
    Thanks Golden. I figured that was what was going on.

Custom Title
    Tracy Wilson said on the broadcast tonight that she strongly suspects this was VM's last competitive performance. I hope she's wrong, I'd like to see VM at Worlds.

Davis and White have said they'd like to go to Worlds no matter what happens at the Olympics, they love to skate in Japan, etc. But I think it depends. There's been talk of them appearing on DWTS (which would be so unfair lol), but that starts the same week as Worlds.

Tripping on the Podium
    Hmmm I think banking half a million bucks is worth skipping worlds :P. Though they could do the next cycle as well and they'd be fresh enough. I actually think that'd be better to stretch out their visibility.

Banned
    idk why v/m are playing so coy about going to worlds, they're obviously not. they hated doing it last time

another world title would be easy as pie for d/w to take, but they might want to capitalize on their post gold medal win with dwts because the sheen of the olympics doesn't last that long. also motivation to keep training would be tough

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast