2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Sam-Skwantch said:
The Russian Fed really has no problem riding on Yulia's 15 yr old back but seemingly chooses Adelina time and time again as the blessed one. Grrrr!!

Which was very obvious when they didn't even choose Adelina for the Team Event, and she missed out on the pretty much guaranteed Gold medal, I guess?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Could Adelina be unsure at this point and is waiting to see how she practices the next week or so? Since she's a substitute she can still be added. Unless she is mentally wiped out or injured she should go and increase her countries chances of getting 2 spots for worlds next year. The next 2 Russians are not in the same league as the top 2 Russians so it's risky Russian business for Adelina not to go to worlds.

I agree with others who think Yulia should be the one taking time off. She trained and was used twice in the team competition while Adelina was resting so she should be more tired than Sotnikova. And she's only 15 and about 85 pounds. Yulia is a warrior and wants no part of time off. That's good to know but dangerous. I want to see her develop and avoid injuries. I also think the massive media attention she garnered at Sochi was crazy so she could be mentally tired as well. I just hope she skates at worlds like she did at europeans.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Which was very obvious when they didn't even choose Adelina for the Team Event, and she missed out on the pretty much guaranteed Gold medal, I guess?

Fair point. Julia was the chosen one for Sochi and she delivered very well in the team event. She crumbled in the individual event though. Adelina stepped up and the rest is history. To be fair though, no one will dispute Julia's gold medal...the same can't be said for Adelina's.

Thank god for small miracles they say...:eek:hwell:

gmyers

Record Breaker

It was not guaranteed. It was a surprise. Canada was the frontrunner.

And all of a sudden people are forgetting how controversial Julia's scores were to bash Adelina? There were all the articles quoting frank carroll on how Julia's scores were bizarre and strange.

KJGL

Rinkside
100% agree.
It's so nice to see the nasty people are loving that she has withdrawn (!). No matter what Adelina does it's going to be hate, hate, hate.
I hope she is enjoying all that comes with being a worthy Olympic Champion & returns next season.

Why does it necessarily follow that people who think Adelina shouldn't have withdrawn "love" that she has withdrawn because they are "haters"? I have the opinion that it's in her best interests to compete unless she's injured and you can check my posts or not, but I can assure you I haven't been hating on her and I don't hate her. Nor do I "love" that she's withdrawn. Just the opposite--what I "loved" was when I was under the impression she intended to show up. I thought that showed the heart of a champion.

Now another poster has speculated that she may not have had any say in the matter. That's a different story. But whether the withdrawal reflects Adelina's personal reluctance or whether it's her federation saying "we're not sure our girl's numbers will hold up outside of Russia," neither reflects the kind of confidence we'd expect to see in a champion.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was not guaranteed. It was a surprise. Canada was the frontrunner.

And all of a sudden people are forgetting how controversial Julia's scores were to bash Adelina? There were all the articles quoting frank carroll on how Julia's scores were bizarre and strange.

I thought BOTH Yulia and Gracie were over scored.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wonder how much say Adelina had in this. Ponytail to ponytail, I think it might be the decision of the federation not to send her to be slaughtered by Shin Amano. Plus Adelina never beats Yulia outside of Russia. That's a fact!

I would think that no skater gets slaughtered because of jumps unless there is a good reason, LOL. Amano should have been at the Olympics!!!

NMURA

Medalist
Sotnikova's "3Lz-3T" would've earned 7.5 points instead of 11.5 if the TS was Mr Amano.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I thought BOTH Yulia and Gracie were over scored.

Only Julia was attacked for being overscored in the team among the ladies. then you had all the writers saying plushenkos scores were because of corruption and his footwork were actually non level basic footwork. Like not even level 1. The NYT said this. "Plushenko doesn't do the footwork of others" footwork and step sequence are used interchangebly

I would think that no skater gets slaughtered because of jumps unless there is a good reason, LOL. Amano should have been at the Olympics!!!

Julia beat Adelina at the GPF when Adelina had a mess of a FS.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Why does it necessarily follow that people who think Adelina shouldn't have withdrawn "love" that she has withdrawn because they are "haters"? I have the opinion that it's in her best interests to compete unless she's injured and you can check my posts or not, but I can assure you I haven't been hating on her and I don't hate her. Nor do I "love" that she's withdrawn. Just the opposite--what I "loved" was when I was under the impression she intended to show up. I thought that showed the heart of a champion.

Now another poster has speculated that she may not have had any say in the matter. That's a different story. But whether the withdrawal reflects Adelina's personal reluctance or whether it's her federation saying "we're not sure our girl's numbers will hold up outside of Russia," neither reflects the kind of confidence we'd expect to see in a champion.

I never said EVERYBODY. But there are quite a few on here who just have such a grudge against the girl.

gmyers

Record Breaker

What do you based this opinion on? That the Russian federation is keeping Sotnikova in RUssia so she doesn't lose immediately after she wins? Who said anything like that?

KJGL

Rinkside
I never said EVERYBODY. But there are quite a few on here who just have such a grudge against the girl.

Thanks for clarifying. because I don't hate her, I do support her as legitimate gold medalist, but I also think withdrawing from the WC is a mistake.

8 out of the top 10 women who competed the Olympics are competing at Worlds. Of the two who aren't going, one has retired from competition. The other is Adelina. We should be able to discuss the possible reasons why she won't be there. And realistically, very few people are going to buy the explanation that a 17 year old needs to rest.

Symmetry

Rinkside
Good decision for Adelina. She doesn't need to spoil her Olympic victory happiness. The Russian federation should protect her from unnecessary risks that may harm the image of a newly crowned Olympic champion.

Although I do not agree with her OGM, I believe she has potentials to be a true champion in the future. I hope she can start fresh in the fall. Once Mao and Carolina follow Yuna to retire after the Worlds, the harsh criticisms on Adelina's may die down.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Ohno said a lot about death threats and I wouldn't be surprised if sotnikova got some serious threats.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Thanks for clarifying. because I don't hate her, I do support her as legitimate gold medalist, but I also think withdrawing from the WC is a mistake.

8 out of the top 10 women who competed the Olympics are competing at Worlds. Of the two who aren't going, one has retired from competition. The other is Adelina. We should be able to discuss the possible reasons why she won't be there. And realistically, very few people are going to buy the explanation that a 17 year old needs to rest.

Don't forget more often than not the OGM skips worlds following their win. I don't think Adelina needs to rest so to speak but given how in demand she is in Russia right now (interviews, appearances, etc.) she may not have had time to prepare adequately. The last thing she wants to do is show up unprepared.

It's not a big deal that she's skipping worlds IMO. Several of the medalists are...no need to single her out. :)

flyushka

Rinkside

Why would that explanation not be plausible? It's hardly unusual for the OGM to skip Worlds. Sure, all the skaters are tired to varying degrees at the post-Olympic Worlds, which always makes it an unpredictable competition, but both Russian girls are probably going through an onslaught of media attention right now. As I understand it, Adelina's family may need the money that comes along with accepting offers for appearances, so maybe she can't be as 100% focused on preparing as she'd like to be to ensure a good result. She seemed at first very definite and enthusiastic about attending Worlds, so who knows if it's even her decision not to attend? It could have been made for her by her coaches or the Russian fed. Or maybe she just didn't realize how tired she would be, or how many demands on her time there would be. Shrug. I think the skaters don't carry such baggage as the fans seem to think, like she needed to justify the OGM by winning Worlds or something. That said, it is too bad she won't be there and I hope it won't backfire - it'll be unfortunate if Russia doesn't have 3 spots for next year with Radionova coming along.

PftJump

On the Ice
I think she will retire. (by Russian Fed)

They don't wanna hurt their first lady OGM.

In reality, Sotnikova has no international title in senior level, even no GP series winning.

(Tuktamisheva & Lipnitskaia won several time.)

She is not reliable skater outside of Russia.

And Russia has many girls, don't need obsession with her.