2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

usethis2

Medalist
Just to be clear, I think both sides have got it a little wrong when it comes to the meaning of Adelina's participation in Worlds.

I could care less if she skates brilliantly or she bombs. That is at best a secondary question, IMO. The real question is what kind of score she will receive after she gives her performance. First, the tech calls, then GOEs, and finally her PCS.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Well some of these federations seem to have power but not in Canada or US. You would think Skate Canada would have had or forced Chan and V and M to earn three births. Heck in men they might only have one after all this.

There are some who think the federations in Canada and the US have too much power, so it depends on the situation. And I don't think Skate Canada can force its skaters (particularly its top skaters) to go to an event they don't really want to. And what would be the point of doing so if the skaters in question are not in the right shape, physically or emotionally, to go to Worlds?

Amei

Record Breaker
Are they? Why? Some question the disproportionate value placed on Olympic results compared to other achievements in an athlete's career.

People place more value on the Olympics because it happens only 4 years, so it's viewed as something that's harder to even get to the Olympics, and once you get there it's what most skaters dream about so it's more difficult to get a OM. A skater that comes on the scene next season might not last the 4 years to get to the Olympics, whether it's because of injury or the talent in the country. - Look at Elizaveta Tuk. 2 years ago she was a talked about as an Olympic medal favorite; she didn't even make it to the team.

Scott512

Record Breaker
BUT... is it confirmed Adelina will not skate?
The decision will be made march 10th. But most of think it's really already been made. If anyone should be getting time off it's 15 year old Yulia Lipnitskaia. She's 2 years younger and about 15 pounds lighter than Adelina Sotkinova. Yulia is not fully developed and is more fragile than Adelina is. She needs the kid glove treatment not Sotnikova. They have to make sure Yulia is not over worked in the next couple of years so she stays healthy and is great at age 18 and 19. After the top 2 Russians there is a steep dropff to the next girl. Yulia has competed a lot this season and that's risky business for a tiny 15 year old.

sk8in

Match Penalty
I can just picture Putin watching Yulia practice on surveillance video, and like marching up to her with a whip. "EEF you vant to EAT YOU VILL STRETCH ZAT ANKLE BEHIND YOUR EAR LOBES!!!"

volk

Final Flight
I can just picture Putin watching Yulia practice on surveillance video, and like marching up to her with a whip. "EEF you vant to EAT YOU VILL STRETCH ZAT ANKLE BEHIND YOUR EAR LOBES!!!"

stop trolling

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
True, since she was part of gold medal team the Olympics. But she placed 5th at the individual event, so she really can't hold the same claim as Yuna that she's never finished off the podium any individual event. Yuna has never finished off the podium EVER, either intentionally or domestically.

Julia's finished off the podium at nationals once or twice, I think. Of course the competition at Russian nationals is a bit stiffer, so I'd cut her a break there.

Yes, I was in a hurry so the comment was posted before I was done. Of course I realize Yuna is far more impressive. Spanning nine(?) years and three Olympic Cycles, Yuna has never finished off the podium in any event listed on Wikipedia.

It does depend whether you count the team event. For me since scores for WTT are counted for records, and other sports have multiple events, and multiple medals, the team gold counts. If she hadn't contributed in such a significant way, maybe I would think of it differently, but she brought 20 points out of Russia's 75(?). We could also say that without the team event she would been pretty much guaranteed to take a medal in the individual.

I realize that she's finished off the podium at Nationals. That's why I specifically said international events. Out of fourteen events so far, she has ten Gold, three Silver, and one Bronze. Ironically enough she has not won Russian Nationals even once in her four years, though she is the most decorated Russian Ladies skater internationally (I mean for the last four years).

I also thought it's interesting that she still holds the highest score on the Junior Level. 187.XX and that is with one less jumping pass than senior, right?

msadot

On the Ice
The decision will be made march 10th. But most of think it's really already been made. If anyone should be getting time off it's 15 year old Yulia Lipnitskaia. She's 2 years younger and about 15 pounds lighter than Adelina Sotkinova. Yulia is not fully developed and is more fragile than Adelina is. She needs the kid glove treatment not Sotnikova. They have to make sure Yulia is not over worked in the next couple of years so she stays healthy and is great at age 18 and 19. After the top 2 Russians there is a steep dropff to the next girl. Yulia has competed a lot this season and that's risky business for a tiny 15 year old.

Thanks. :) Just... pity that World Championship got... a bit snubbed this year. :(

Glad for Mao, Caro, Pechalat-Bourzat n especially Berton-Hotarek, as they decided to be there. Whatever the result (though some medals are a matter of fact), they will deliver a great perfomance.
Despite being a bit sorry for Anna P n Yulia L (as of now, they are the official competitors for Russia and being "kicked off" does not sound nice), I would really like Adelina to compete instead of one of them. Just to see the scores. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Does Putin talk like Count Dracula? What am I missing here? Why would "you vant to" be in lower case while everything gets capitalized?

Esopian

Final Flight
This is a bit off topic glancing at the recent pages, but I'm kind of sad there won't be a Patrick-Yuzuru showdown at 2014 Worlds because P-Chan isn't going. :disapp: I feel when the two of them are in a competition, they both help motivate each other mentally in a way by their always-present rivalry. Their relationship is actually rather interesting.

BusyMom

Medalist
I hope so too! :) I do think his best this year was 4cc, though, especially the Mission program. Had he gotten that score at the Olympics, he'd have been in 11th or so.
He is still young enough for the next Oly. Finger cross for China to have more than 1 quota next time around.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Péchalat/Bourzat confirmed they are going to Worlds! Source: their Facebook page. I wish them all the best.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
^ Thank goodness! Allez, Nathalie et Fabian!

:agree:

Yay, at least one of my faves is going to Worlds!

I really did think D/W and V/M would go ... sigh. I was ready to say farewell to their competitive careers but I thought we had one more chance to see them at Worlds -- then let things shake out for the next quad.

But I hope P/B have amazing skates. I love both their dances this year.

Meoima

Match Penalty
This is a bit off topic glancing at the recent pages, but I'm kind of sad there won't be a Patrick-Yuzuru showdown at 2014 Worlds because P-Chan isn't going. :disapp: I feel when the two of them are in a competition, they both help motivate each other mentally in a way by their always-present rivalry. Their relationship is actually rather interesting.

Actually they both deserve some rest, but Yuzuru did not have a clean free skate so he has something to prove, not to mention he is young so it's understandable. On the other hand, things with PChan is not smooth... :cry:such a pity, he might have lost the motivation. I hope he will be alright when he come back.