Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    I do remember that Virtue/Moir were exhausted after the 2010 Olympics, and that it was tough to prepare themselves (mentally and physically) for 2010 Worlds.

But have they really said that they "hated" 2010 Worlds? How could they hate the competition where they won their first World Gold??? Doesn't sound like them.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Thanks Golden. I figured that was what was going on.
    And I believe Mrs. P and/or others have made the point elsewhere that Jason and Kori presumably will never have any problem staying motivated to take an alternate slot seriously.
    Until Lysacek withdrew from Skate America, Jason was only the alternate. He capitalized on the opportunity at Skate America by placing second in the SP .... which led to a bronze at TEB, which led to ... etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Takahashi will go even if it's not in Japan.

He might continue competitive skating after all
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi201...5-1257794.html

Actually Takahashi has never mentioned about retirement in a definite way.
    He always said "this could be my last season."
    How long does it take to recover from this injury? If he decides to continue, even only for one more season, probably he should skip this worlds and try to come back strong and healthy next season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    How long does it take to recover from this injury? If he decides to continue, even only for one more season, probably he should skip this worlds and try to come back strong and healthy next season.
    I think Takahashi wants to end his competitive career in Japan at Worlds. I doubt he will continue for another season.

Custom Title
    Oh please, no DW and VM at worlds, I want to see Hubbel/Donohue and Gilles/Poirier!

Edgy Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Florencito View Post
    Oh please, no DW and VM at worlds, I want to see Hubbel/Donohue and Gilles/Poirier!
    Me too!

On the other hand, I would like Jeremy to go. I guess the Olys showed that if he skates clean or almost clean, he can medal. Why not try it again, the last time? Or am I a fool?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Florencito View Post
    As I posted in response to this question in the Olympic thread, I get the sense that Skate Canada and others in Canadian dance assume V&M probably won't go to Worlds.

G&P took a short break after coming home from 4 Continents, but then started training again in case they get the call to Worlds to replace V&M.

Custom Title
    I really hope Patrick Chan goes. Both Hanyu and Chan can redeem themselves and it would be so interesting to see a PROPER head to head battle.

Custom Title
    Chan doesn't sound very enthusiastic about going so far, but I guess we'll see how he feels by the time he gets back home.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    I wonder if Chan vs Hanyu could really be the re-battle people hope it would be. I'd like both of them to redeem themselves too, but with all the media hype alone it will be tough, and worlds is not exactly that far away anymore. Especially for Chan, he might have trouble to motivate himself since worlds is in Japan - he was the top dog for 3 years, and then Hanyu came along and the scoring at the Olympics makes it look like clean Hanyu would beat him no matter what he does. How high are his chances of beating Hanyu in Japan? And I'm not sure he feels a silver would be worth it. Hanyu will definitly go to worlds, but with him already needing a rest before the Gala, I'm a little afraid. I doubt he's going to skate his best at worlds either.

Daisuke will definitly go (same for Machida). I have no idea about Abbott... IMO, the american man who deserves it the most is Brown, but I see why Aaron would deserve the worlds spot too. So to be completly honest, I'd actually like Abbott to withdraw and let his Olympic performances be a good ending note, as he actually did what he always had trouble with: fighting trough a mistake in the SP and skating a clean LP. It's not as if I dislike him or want to wish him ill, I just want it a little more for the two other guys. I doubt his chances at a medal are that good either, with all the 3 japanese men having home field advantage, Ten proofing 2013 worlds wasn't a fluke and Fernandez probably trying to get back on the podium after he lost the bronze here due to stupid Zayak rules (plus Chan if he goes, obviously). That all said, I guess he'll go and we won't see Jason in Japan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    I wonder if Chan vs Hanyu could really be the re-battle people hope it would be. I'd like both of them to redeem themselves too, but with all the media hype alone it will be tough, and worlds is not exactly that far away anymore. Especially for Chan, he might have trouble to motivate himself since worlds is in Japan - he was the top dog for 3 years, and then Hanyu came along and the scoring at the Olympics makes it look like clean Hanyu would beat him no matter what he does. How high are his chances of beating Hanyu in Japan? And I'm not sure he feels a silver would be worth it. Hanyu will definitly go to worlds, but with him already needing a rest before the Gala, I'm a little afraid. I doubt he's going to skate his best at worlds either.

Daisuke will definitly go (same for Machida). I have no idea about Abbott... IMO, the american man who deserves it the most is Brown, but I see why Aaron would deserve the worlds spot too. So to be completly honest, I'd actually like Abbott to withdraw and let his Olympic performances be a good ending note, as he actually did what he always had trouble with: fighting trough a mistake in the SP and skating a clean LP. It's not as if I dislike him or want to wish him ill, I just want it a little more for the two other guys. I doubt his chances at a medal are that good either, with all the 3 japanese men having home field advantage, Ten proofing 2013 worlds wasn't a fluke and Fernandez probably trying to get back on the podium after he lost the bronze here due to stupid Zayak rules (plus Chan if he goes, obviously). That all said, I guess he'll go and we won't see Jason in Japan.
    That's true. Who knows what their condition will be after such a grueling Olympics. We may see a World Champion that no-one expects. -How exciting!

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbiespectator
    That's true. Who knows what their condition will be after such a grueling Olympics. We may see a World Champion that no-one expects. -How exciting!
    I'll be rooting for Takahashi to have the best farewell ever and end his career with a world title at home! Fernandez, Machida or Ten would be pretty cool too. Or Han Yan pulling a huge upset!

pushing the boudaries in dance and in live
    Personally, I'd like to see at Japan's Worlds even one last time:

- Daisuke - I can't even imagine a world of FS without him, he's a true artist who draws attention even with mistakes...Even his appearance at gala would be amazing

- Tessa and Scott - I think it would be a great moment and a great place to say goodbye to competitive skating - their first senior worlds were in 2007 in Tokyo, Japan and I still remember their programs from here, particulary FD to Valse Triste which was a highlight...

- Akiko and Mao - I wolul love to see them both here at home regardless how they'll go at Olys - they usually shine on home ice and I love their shorts this season...

- Aliona and Robin and Quin and Jian - it's probably the least possible from all my wishes but they are my sentimental favourites and love their programs from this season

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Aliona and Robin returned home and said in an Interview that they weren't sure about Worlds, yet. I don't know, it sounded to me like they do want to go, because they don't want to be remembered by their last appearance at the Olympics. On the other hand, with V/T there, they would also probably end up second...so who knows.

Daisuke appearantly isn't sure either, if he wants to go. He still is injured and not completely healthy and him being in form again this season probably won't happen. He said he felt empty and exhausted after Olympics. So we cannot count on him going, even if it is Japan.

Rinkside
    Nathaile and Fabian won't go....they had confirmed it.

Custom Title
    All: just went to the 2014 worlds Wikipedia page. It seems they've announced the pairs and a number of teams that we thought had or will retire (P/T, S/S) are listed as being announced as entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Wo..._Championships

I'm guessing this will change a LOT in the next few weeks.

They also list the alternates. IF this is accurate, the most intriguing entry for me is Russia's alternative: Yuko + Sasha! [Snoopy happy dance]

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast