Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
    Does anyone know why Christopher Caluza is representing Philippines, while Michael-Christian Martinez is listed as their alternate?
    I read an article where he received $10,000 from a local businessman and the whole article praised him and then it the last paragraph was....

Michael Christian Martinez will compete at the World Junior Figure Skating Championships in Bulgaria next month following his Sochi Winter Olympics performance.
    I'm assuming this may be why? Not sure though but this makes sense. So another reason to

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/82...erformance.htm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VirMo View Post
    I think not showing up at Worlds is a lose for Adelina, regardless of whose decision it was. So many people are doubtful about the result at the Olympics, so she could have used Worlds to prove herself. By not showing up, it shows that she is afraid she may not do as well, which will only add to the doubts around her.

This is a very different situation from Yuna's. Yuna has been building her reputation for so many years before Vancouver, always stayed within top three. She already had won Worlds before going to Olympics, so after that point she didn't have much else to prove. Adelina does.

But I don't care about Adelina proving herself at this point. I WANT MAO TO NAIL BOTH PROGRAMS
    It proves that she is a complete fraud. Maybe she will drop out of figure skating completely after this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnychan View Post
    I have basically nothing to contribute to all the ladies discussions. I'm just going to curl up in my dark corner and be sad that China only has one men's spot.
    Han Yan has so much potential. I believe that he will get 2 spots for China this time. China has a very strong team of up-and-coming male skaters. Chinese fans should be thrilled with the future prospects.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Do you realize that Yulia is 2 years younger than Adelina, works just as hard, and skated 2 more Olympic programs then Adelina and her individual event was, from an outsider's perspective, under more pressure?

Honestly I think if Adelina doesn't go, it's because she's enjoying her moment in the spotlight and her Olympic victory lap (not saying it's a bad thing).
    Actually, the article says that the final decision about Adelina will be announced on March 10th, when she comes back from Switzerland and Art on Ice show that she's doing together with V/T. The same is true for V/T.

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippuripihvi View Post
    Actually, the article says that the final decision about Adelina will be announced on March 10th, when she comes back from Switzerland and Art on Ice show that she's doing together with V/T. The same is true for V/T.
    So it's undecided yet? I hope she will go, anyways.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    So it's undecided yet? I hope she will go, anyways.
    Yeah, they say it's not a final decision yet. They will decide after March 10th.
    I hope she goes! And I hope that Yuna goes too, but I know it's not going to happen.

Here's actually the full article. http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140305/732356915.html
    They also tell the reasons for including Pogorilaya (someone in this thread was wondering why Pogorilaya and not Leonova). They say that they are looking forward to the next Olympic games, so they want to have a look at new and young athletes. And also Pogorilaya did well at the Russia's Cup.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Joubert won one world medal under 6.0 (silver in 2004) and five, including his world title, in the current system. If you throw in the ten Euros medals, he has more ISU championship medals than anyone currently competing. So it's not just the French skaters who would have difficulty matching what he's achieved
    Considering that Joubert was the most successful French skater of the past decade, it makes you wonder why his Federation treated him so badly.

Custom Title
    Re: Sotnikova

There's an old saying from Mark Twain: "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

I'll leave it to y'all to figure out its relevance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    I just want[ed] to see the[her] scoring in the world. It hasn't happened yet so I can't get over it.
    me too XD The thought of her receiving the kind of scores she should have is my guilty pleasure. I know it's mean but I can't help it.
    I was actually rooting for her, Yulia, Kaetlyn, Zijun for the next quad. But after the Olympics I had mixed feelings. I understood why she's not going given the pressure, backlash and physical stress but then Yulia is going and she performed 4 times in the Olympics and that made me somehow question Adelina skipping Worlds and commend Yulia's courage. I hope she (Yulia) medals. She's got a lot of good things going for her except height in jumps and wrong edge on Lutz.

Custom Title
    I hope Adelina goes but i don't think she will for 2 reasons. She can't possibly as tired as she is physically and mentally get up for worlds like she did the olympics and perfrom at the level she did in Sochi. Also she has likely shut down her training and discipline for the time being after the olympics and turning it back on and go for the gold in Japan even with a lesser field than was in Sochi will not be easy.

I hope Adelina comes back in the fall with 8 triples and 6 combos instead of the 7 and 5 she did in Sochi. She can do it and I want her and others to raise the bar.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I do think Wagner can beat Gold, even a good Gold, if she skates perfectly and cuts out the silly two foot landings. The scoring in Sochi indicates it is atleast possible.
    Wagner won't beat a clean Gold now. Even with a fall Gracie scored over 9 points higher then Ashley did in the LP.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Han Yan has so much potential. I believe that he will get 2 spots for China this time. China has a very strong team of up-and-coming male skaters. Chinese fans should be thrilled with the future prospects.
    I really agree. He showed what he can do in the short of COC. Technical skills, imagination - AND, the ability to project to the audience.

Custom Title
    It will be curious if there will be a single judge who gives out 9.50 for Adelina's "Skating Skills," let alone marking overall PCS like 9.75/9.75/9.75/9.50/9.50.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tana View Post
    It's official. Adelina Sotnikova won't compete for the 2014 Worlds. She's listed as a 3rd sub. Pogo and Lip get to go. Good for Adelina. She does need a rest from this lengthy & stressful season and there's always a next year for that world's gold medal.

Link: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028068.htm
    Wow, Russia is really risking only have two girls and this means the Gracie and or Wagner will be on the podium though I expect the Japanese ladies to do well in their home nation. I will be interested to see what happens in the dog;s breakfast with Li Osmond Mete, Helgesen, Murakami edmunds

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8in View Post
    It proves that she is a complete fraud. Maybe she will drop out of figure skating completely after this.
    Oh for goodness sake. Get a grip - sorry I just had to say something.

Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast