Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Wagner won't beat a clean Gold now. Even with a fall Gracie scored over 9 points higher then Ashley did in the LP.
    Sadly, I agree. I still think Ashley trumps her in CH, IN and PE but the marks won't reflect that. If Gracie hadn't fallen on that 3F in Sochi she probably would have cracked 140+ in the FS and would have been much closer to a bronze medal. I'm sure the scores will calm down at worlds (for everyone) but the fact of the matter is Gracie has surpassed Ashley internationally as well as nationally.

I'm not sure what Ashley can do to step it up. That 3F-3T will be crucial but even with that I think she's fighting an uphill battle...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Oh for goodness sake. Get a grip - sorry I just had to say something.
    Well said. Anyway it's fairly normal for olympic gold medalists or medalists of any colors to skip words which are only 1 month after the olympics. Some of them have an olympic letdown and the word championships don't mean as much as they would in anon olympic year. I wish Adelina was skating in Japan but only if she really wants to and is fired up for it. The gold medal in Japan is there for the taking that's for sure.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Sadly, I agree. I still think Ashley trumps her in CH, IN and PE but the marks won't reflect that. If Gracie hadn't fallen on that 3F in Sochi she probably would have cracked 140+ in the FS and would have been much closer to a bronze medal. I'm sure the scores will calm down at worlds (for everyone) but the fact of the matter is Gracie has surpassed Ashley internationally as well as nationally.
    Of course she has. I told you it would happen...it wasn't a matter of if, but when it would happen. Gold is just a better skater than Wagner overall - that's the reality of the situation. Gold was just being hindered by her inconsistency issues. Once she got over those, she was going to be the top American no matter what. I hope that her Olympics performances translate into a newer, mentally tougher Gold because we really need that now. It does remain to be seen whether Gold can handle the pressure of being a contender and not melt down in stunning fashion like Nagasu did 4 years ago...

I'm not sure what Ashley can do to step it up. That 3F-3T will be crucial but even with that I think she's fighting an uphill battle...
    Like I said in the AW thread, depends on how the US field shapes up over the next couple of years, and whether she can maintain her current skills into her mid-20s (never mind improving).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post

I also agree, her technical merit alone would keep her ahead internationally. I also think Gracie can taste it now and will continue to grow as an artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Considering that Joubert was the most successful French skater of the past decade, it makes you wonder why his Federation treated him so badly.
    Even in his "decline" he was the best Frenchman at the Olympics and this year's Euros' - and I believe the last two World's at least? If I remember correctly?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Ashley two footed most of her jumps, and Gold received a surprising LP score given that her clean LP in the Team finals was about 7 points lower. I wouldnt say it is a slam dunk that Ashley couldnt beat atleast a good Gold (maybe not a perfect Gold). Anyway the whole Sochi competition was corrupt and fixed so the scores of no skaters can be taken as a holy grail.
    This is something I'm not hearing too many people mention when they complain about the scores. Yes, this was perplexing to say the least. I was expecting mid to high 120s. And Lipnitskaya was good, but 141?! You know, I can't even fault Wagner for her post-FS comments because so much, err....stuff happened in the scoring that doesn't make sense to me...

Worlds will tell the story. I do hope both can skate as well as they did in Sochi, but considering everything, I probably shouldn't hold my breath. All I know is - they better get it right this time...

On the Ice
    So, Adelina might go? Kind of a ****** thing to do to Anna Pogorilaya, though: List her as an entry, build up her hopes, then take it away.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Ashley two footed most of her jumps, and Gold received a surprising LP score given that her clean LP in the Team finals was about 7 points lower. I wouldnt say it is a slam dunk that Ashley couldnt beat atleast a good Gold (maybe not a perfect Gold). Anyway the whole Sochi competition was corrupt and fixed so the scores of no skaters can be taken as a holy grail.
    Only thing I would change may be the word corrupt and substitute it with "inflated for the Olympic spectacle". Unfairly at times even. Otherwise you are spot on here! Everyone except Ashley got pretty big inflation.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    This is something I'm not hearing too many people mention when they complain about the scores. Yes, this was perplexing to say the least. I was expecting mid to high 120s. And Lipnitskaya was good, but 141?! You know, I can't even fault Wagner for her post-FS comments because so much, err....stuff happened in the scoring that doesn't make sense to me...
    I said the same thing. I would have put Yulia 135 or less with 141 being her lights out show. I love how when asked about her best skate she shrugged it off and said "that's just my best score". It isn't fair to her IMO for the judges to over mark her and give her that shady air that comes with it. Seriously the girl just wants to skate her best every time. The results should follow. It serves no purpose and I don't think she wanted it either!! I'm convinced 100% that she was without a doubt the best lady in the team event when you consider her efforts. I'm just glad she came away with that experience.

Down With It
    Well I don't think anyone disputes that Lipnitskaya was the best in the ladies' team event (at least I don't). Sotnikova in the individual event is a different story, however, but that's for another thread.

Yes, those on the beneficiary side of shady scoring/results aren't helped, either...not only does it put them in an uncomfortable spot and create disincentive to improve, but it also makes them the target of angry skatefans (that one cannot be overlooked!).

Rinkside
    Because Julia didn't win the gold medal in ledies, and she desperately needs in a world medal. She and her coach are very ambitious, and at the same time Etery has never been a big athlete herself. She doesn't have her own expirience how your mind and body react to participation in highest level of competitions, and didn't test it as a coach. I think Julia is overloaded by high expectations. Her fifth on OG was counted as unsatisfactory result, and nobody from her team is thinking that fifth could be her place even in the case of a clean skating. Only time will show is this strategy of pushing young athlets ahead despite of tiredness and injuries is right or wrong...n

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Ohno said a lot about death threats and I wouldn't be surprised if sotnikova got some serious threats.
    I think the Russians won't let her go to worlds for her own safety. A lot of wackos out there and many on this forum have already proven that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Oh for goodness sake. Get a grip - sorry I just had to say something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post
    I think the Russians won't let her go to worlds for her own safety. A lot of wackos out there and many on this forum have already proven that.
    I think that many here (rightfully) have questioned the podium in Sochi. That does not mean that any of us would want any harm to come to Adelina. I think the big question is will we see more inflation in PCS/GOE or will there be a backlash in judging these aspects of scoring? Also, will Adelina get any edge calls or URs against her? Will there be more scrutiny on edge calls and URs in general?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic View Post
    So, Adelina might go? Kind of a ****** thing to do to Anna Pogorilaya, though: List her as an entry, build up her hopes, then take it away.
    I don't think that will happen, but if it did, it would kind of be the beginning of a plot for a revenge movie.

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast