Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    I think The Mission program suits him well. He did pretty awesome in Italy(winter universiade). Hope he'll be back stronger next year.
    I hope so too! I do think his best this year was 4cc, though, especially the Mission program. Had he gotten that score at the Olympics, he'd have been in 11th or so.

BUT... is it confirmed Adelina will not skate?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott512 View Post
    The Olympics are a lot more important than worlds ...
    Are they? Why? Some question the disproportionate value placed on Olympic results compared to other achievements in an athlete's career.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aeviterna View Post
    Oh, I actually meant as far as never placing off the podium in her entire career, haha -- never leaving an event without a medal is insane. Queen of not only the ice but also anti-headcasing, for sure.

Yuna's actually been pretty firm about retiring for real this time, but I am very afraid SK will pressure her again to return for Pyeongchang. She'd be 27 then and I doubt she'd be able to pull a Carolina, if SK can even really convince her to make that run.
    Yulia also has never left an international event without a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabel_O'Reilly View Post
    Yulia also has never left an international event without a medal.
    True, since she was part of gold medal team the Olympics. But she placed 5th at the individual event, so she really can't hold the same claim as Yuna that she's never finished off the podium any individual event. Yuna has never finished off the podium EVER, either intentionally or domestically.

Julia's finished off the podium at nationals once or twice, I think. Of course the competition at Russian nationals is a bit stiffer, so I'd cut her a break there.

Custom Title
    Just to be clear, I think both sides have got it a little wrong when it comes to the meaning of Adelina's participation in Worlds.

I could care less if she skates brilliantly or she bombs. That is at best a secondary question, IMO. The real question is what kind of score she will receive after she gives her performance. First, the tech calls, then GOEs, and finally her PCS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well some of these federations seem to have power but not in Canada or US. You would think Skate Canada would have had or forced Chan and V and M to earn three births. Heck in men they might only have one after all this.
    There are some who think the federations in Canada and the US have too much power, so it depends on the situation. And I don't think Skate Canada can force its skaters (particularly its top skaters) to go to an event they don't really want to. And what would be the point of doing so if the skaters in question are not in the right shape, physically or emotionally, to go to Worlds?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by humbaba View Post
    Are they? Why? Some question the disproportionate value placed on Olympic results compared to other achievements in an athlete's career.
    People place more value on the Olympics because it happens only 4 years, so it's viewed as something that's harder to even get to the Olympics, and once you get there it's what most skaters dream about so it's more difficult to get a OM. A skater that comes on the scene next season might not last the 4 years to get to the Olympics, whether it's because of injury or the talent in the country. - Look at Elizaveta Tuk. 2 years ago she was a talked about as an Olympic medal favorite; she didn't even make it to the team.

On the Ice
    Such a cool quote, WeakAnkles! I've just put it on my FB LOL

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicky458 View Post
    So, Adelina is not going to worlds. So disappointed. I really wanted to see her get those fantastic scores again.
    Ok, you got me on that one. LOL.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by msadot View Post
    BUT... is it confirmed Adelina will not skate?
    The decision will be made march 10th. But most of think it's really already been made. If anyone should be getting time off it's 15 year old Yulia Lipnitskaia. She's 2 years younger and about 15 pounds lighter than Adelina Sotkinova. Yulia is not fully developed and is more fragile than Adelina is. She needs the kid glove treatment not Sotnikova. They have to make sure Yulia is not over worked in the next couple of years so she stays healthy and is great at age 18 and 19. After the top 2 Russians there is a steep dropff to the next girl. Yulia has competed a lot this season and that's risky business for a tiny 15 year old.

Banned
    I can just picture Putin watching Yulia practice on surveillance video, and like marching up to her with a whip. "EEF you vant to EAT YOU VILL STRETCH ZAT ANKLE BEHIND YOUR EAR LOBES!!!"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8in View Post
    I can just picture Putin watching Yulia practice on surveillance video, and like marching up to her with a whip. "EEF you vant to EAT YOU VILL STRETCH ZAT ANKLE BEHIND YOUR EAR LOBES!!!"
    stop trolling

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    True, since she was part of gold medal team the Olympics. But she placed 5th at the individual event, so she really can't hold the same claim as Yuna that she's never finished off the podium any individual event. Yuna has never finished off the podium EVER, either intentionally or domestically.

Julia's finished off the podium at nationals once or twice, I think. Of course the competition at Russian nationals is a bit stiffer, so I'd cut her a break there.
    Yes, I was in a hurry so the comment was posted before I was done. Of course I realize Yuna is far more impressive. Spanning nine(?) years and three Olympic Cycles, Yuna has never finished off the podium in any event listed on Wikipedia.

It does depend whether you count the team event. For me since scores for WTT are counted for records, and other sports have multiple events, and multiple medals, the team gold counts. If she hadn't contributed in such a significant way, maybe I would think of it differently, but she brought 20 points out of Russia's 75(?). We could also say that without the team event she would been pretty much guaranteed to take a medal in the individual.

I realize that she's finished off the podium at Nationals. That's why I specifically said international events. Out of fourteen events so far, she has ten Gold, three Silver, and one Bronze. Ironically enough she has not won Russian Nationals even once in her four years, though she is the most decorated Russian Ladies skater internationally (I mean for the last four years).

I also thought it's interesting that she still holds the highest score on the Junior Level. 187.XX and that is with one less jumping pass than senior, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott512 View Post
    The decision will be made march 10th. But most of think it's really already been made. If anyone should be getting time off it's 15 year old Yulia Lipnitskaia. She's 2 years younger and about 15 pounds lighter than Adelina Sotkinova. Yulia is not fully developed and is more fragile than Adelina is. She needs the kid glove treatment not Sotnikova. They have to make sure Yulia is not over worked in the next couple of years so she stays healthy and is great at age 18 and 19. After the top 2 Russians there is a steep dropff to the next girl. Yulia has competed a lot this season and that's risky business for a tiny 15 year old.
    Thanks. Just... pity that World Championship got... a bit snubbed this year. :(

Glad for Mao, Caro, Pechalat-Bourzat n especially Berton-Hotarek, as they decided to be there. Whatever the result (though some medals are a matter of fact), they will deliver a great perfomance.
    Despite being a bit sorry for Anna P n Yulia L (as of now, they are the official competitors for Russia and being "kicked off" does not sound nice), I would really like Adelina to compete instead of one of them. Just to see the scores.

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast