2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
As I think you know, 2010 Worlds was not a carbon copy of 2010 Vancouver. Davis/White won the small gold medal for the FD at 2010 Worlds, although Virtue/Moir won the overall event.
If Virtue/Moir still have the fire in their bellies to compete in Japan -- with no guarantees of the outcome either way -- I take my hat off to them.

True. There was some movement in the dance standings. Some teams moved up and some moved down. Some retired. And it was a closer contest between V&M and D&W than in Vancouver. But in those days V&M were at their peak and were regularly beating D&W. Over the past 2 years, D&W have been on an unbroken winning streak. So although the outcome is not guaranteed, the odds are more in D&W's favour than they were last time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
D&W are on a whirlwind tour of TV shows, as, I am sure, were V&M in 2010. I expect it to interfere with their training. They may not be as sharp at Worlds as they were at Nationals and Olympics.

Terri

Rinkside
True. There was some movement in the dance standings. Some teams moved up and some moved down. Some retired. And it was a closer contest between V&M and D&W than in Vancouver. But in those days V&M were at their peak and were regularly beating D&W. Over the past 2 years, D&W have been on an unbroken winning streak. So although the outcome is not guaranteed, the odds are more in D&W's favour than they were last time.

Even before the Olympics D&W beat V&M at 4CC's the previous season as well as in the FD at 2009 Worlds. This time around D&W are the gold-medalists and doing a lot more media than they were in 2010, when V&M were probably distracted from training by off-ice commitments. It could be a closer contest than in Sochi.

Barb

Record Breaker
It will be so delicious if she doesn't even make the podium.
She probably will make the podium, but if she wont, she will have a lot of years to do it.Mao was 17 yo in her first world gold medal, Yuna 18, and each one have only two world gold medals.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It will be so delicious if [Sotnikova] doesn't even make the podium.

Scores will be VERY interesting, that's for sure. Will she still get the so-called "SWR" bonus here, and if so, will it be as much as in Sochi?

Even before Sochi though she still got big scores for clean skates, so I don't expect that to change.

KJGL

Rinkside
Adelina said she's going:)

Ah, so she's not going to rest on her Olympic laurel wreath. Very impressed by that. Heart of a champion.

Whatever her result, she's going to win some hearts and minds by showing up.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It would be funny if the federations that were slighted at Olympics formed a coalition against the Russians in order to derive them of spots for next worlds. Well, it would be funny in the same way watching grudges in professional wrestling is funny.

Are you serious - this might even be illegal or at least immoral.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2014 Worlds: which skaters ARE going?

Re Team Japan, the official website now lists:

- Men: Yuzuru Hanyu、Tatsuki Machida、Daisuke Takahashi
- Ladies: Akiko Suzuki、Mao Asada、Kanako Murakami
- Pairs: Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara
- Ice Dance: Cathy Reed & Chris Reed
http://wfc2014.jp/english/skaters/index.html

(Sorry if I am the last to know.)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Scores will be VERY interesting, that's for sure. Will she still get the so-called "SWR" bonus here, and if so, will it be as much as in Sochi?

Even before Sochi though she still got big scores for clean skates, so I don't expect that to change.

She might not do that well since she has been skating in shows though.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I'm not sure if this is mentioned in another thread somewhere, but the rumors about Davis and White doing Dancing with the Stars are getting stronger. Meaning they'd definitely not make Worlds given the timeline.

I hadn't read the rumors before, but I'm surprised it's both of them and not just one.

DWTSGossip on twitter (which has been pretty reliable in the past) said this this morning: "And.... 2 Olympians who won gold and made history for TeamUSA will compete against each other on #dwts"

Who else could that be?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if this is mentioned in another thread somewhere, but the rumors about Davis and White doing Dancing with the Stars are getting stronger. Meaning they'd definitely not make Worlds given the timeline.

I hadn't read the rumors before, but I'm surprised it's both of them and not just one.

DWTSGossip on twitter (which has been pretty reliable in the past) said this this morning: "And.... 2 Olympians who won gold and made history for TeamUSA will compete against each other on #dwts"

Who else could that be?

Isn't it kind of an unfair advantage to hire two ice dancers to be on the show? They would have much more experience and skill than the other celebrities.

Btw, V&M are scheduled to do Stars on Ice in Halifax in April (along with several other Canadian skaters):

http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/1189984-chan-virtue-moir-among-halifax-performers

noskates

Record Breaker
Dancing on the ice with skates and a partner is a whole lot different than dancing in high heels (Meryl) or dance shoes (Charlie) I don't think they'd have any more of an advantage than alot of the people who have been on that show. It isn't really about dancing anyway - it's a popularity contest. Otherwise how would people like Cloris Leachman and others have stayed on so long???

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Obviously there are differences, but I think being a competitive athlete, especially a figure skater and an ice dancer, does give an advantage. In 2010, I don't think it's a coincidence that Evan Lysacek finished 2nd in DWTS. As a figure skater, one learns how to move to a choreographed routine and how to practice particular steps and movements.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
AFAIR they have had other types of dancer in the past-no it is not fair, but it is a fluff show.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

campbellka

Rinkside
They said the same thing about Kristi Yamaguchi. Everyone brings an advantage to the table. That doesn't mean they don't work hard.