2014 Olympics Free Dance | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Free Dance

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
19:00 (7:00 p.m.), Monday, February 17
Time zone converter

Sochi2014.com results page (with planned elements)

ISU results

Warm-Up Group 1
1 KOLBE Tanja / CARUSO Stefano GER 19 54.43
2 PAUL Alexandra / ISLAM Mitchell CAN 18 55.91
3 TOBIAS I / STAGNIUNAS D LTU 17 56.4
4 SINITSINA V / ZHIGANSHIN R RUS 16 58.01
5 OBRIEN Danielle / MERRIMAN Gregory AUS 20 52.68
Warm-Up Group 2
6 COOMES Penny / BUCKLAND Nicholas GBR 11 59.33
7 CARRON Pernelle / JONES Lloyd FRA 13 58.25
8 ZLOBINA Julia / SITNIKOV Alexei AZE 14 58.15
9 HURTADO Sara / DIAZ Adria ESP 12 58.58
10 GUIGNARD Charlene / FABBRI Marco ITA 15 58.14
Warm-Up Group 3
11 ZHIGANSHINA Nelli / GAZSI Alexander GER 10 60.91
12 SHIBUTANI Maia / SHIBUTANI Alex USA 9 64.47
13 CAPPELLINI Anna / LANOTTE Luca ITA 6 67.58
14 CHOCK Madison / BATES Evan USA 8 65.46
15 WEAVER Kaitlyn / POJE Andrew CAN 7 65.93
Warm-Up Group 4
16 PECHALAT Nathalie / BOURZAT Fabian FRA 4 72.78
17 VIRTUE Tessa / MOIR Scott CAN 2 76.33
18 ILINYKH Elena / KATSALAPOV Nikita RUS 3 73.04
19 BOBROVA Ekaterina / SOLOVIEV Dmitri RUS 5 69.97
20 DAVIS Meryl / WHITE Charlie USA 1 78.89

elif

Medalist
Looks like Zoueva changes Virtue/Moir's first lift. This lift shouldn't even be there, no highlight of the music, no climax, just looks very hard opposite of effortless.They did mistakes on that lift couple of times this year. I don't think they are going to change much, maybe Scott just going to use spreadeagle not one foot.
Hopefully this change is not going to effect other lift's levels like Fernandez. Ice dance has some Zayak rules too.
Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford
At practice today Virtue & Moir showed tweak in 1st lift in free dance; Marina Zoueva said it will help them ensure L4 on steps. #Sochi2014
I think Zoueva protecting weakness of Vrtue/Moir's lifts, saying this will help them on level4 steps. They are not doing anything between those elements to lost a level (they are not even in hold) Their entrance of steps are very easy/junior actually.

Mia_

Rinkside
The first lift hits the highlight of the music perfectly. Just because you can't hear past subtle music doesn't mean it doesn't work. Their straight line lift use the musical phrasing when it climaxes. I think you just can't listen to music. What about Mahler Goose lift? That also didn't use musical phrase probably too, huh? :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZpDJB5Rl2Q
Here is the FD music to V/M. If you actually listen to the music it is very obvious where the phrase climaxes is where they put the first lift. Its not that hard.

Not all impressive/big lifts need to go with bombastic music.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ice Dance is primarily geared to stepping and hitting elements on the beat, not the melody. That said, we won't know where the lift is placed until we see the program, especially given changes made to the lift.

Mia_

Rinkside
I am not talking about hitting the accents of the music in footwork. I didn't mention footwork. I talked about lifts being done to complement the arcs or phrases of the music.

Read page 13 of the ISU Book for lifts.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2013-14 ID Handbook for Refs and Judges.pdf

Increase GOE by 1+ for:

Dance Lift fits to the phrasing of the music

Also, read page 16 about the marking of PCS in the area of Interpretation/Timing:

Criteria of Interpretation/Timing:
Skating primarily to the rhythmic beat for Short Dance and keeping a good balance between skating to the
beat and melody in the Free Dance

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, it is to be a balance. But it is also true that we'll see where it is when we see it.

elif

Medalist
The first lift hits the highlight of the music perfectly. Just because you can't hear past subtle music doesn't mean it doesn't work. Their straight line lift use the musical phrasing when it climaxes. I think you just can't listen to music. What about Mahler Goose lift? That also didn't use musical phrase probably too, huh? :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZpDJB5Rl2Q
Here is the FD music to V/M. If you actually listen to the music it is very obvious where the phrase climaxes is where they put the first lift. Its not that hard.

Not all impressive/big lifts need to go with bombastic music.

Music is changing/rising after they finished that lift :rolleye: If this is climax of the music, then they are skating whole dance with that climax and more :laugh::laugh: OK you can think this is highlighting music perfectly, but you have can see other teams are doing this, much much more perfectly :cool:

Mia_

Rinkside
Music is changing/rising after they finished that lift :rolleye: If this is climax of the music, then they are skating whole dance with that climax and more :laugh::laugh: OK you can think this is highlighting music perfectly, but you have can see other teams are doing this, much much more perfectly :cool:

Of course the music is changing/rising AFTER they finished the lift. :laugh:That part (where the music is changing/rising) is the start of a NEW musical PHRASE. What, you expect them to put that lift there? Did you listen to the youtube music? The lift happens right when the BEGINNING phrase climaxes (you can hear a slight pause, this is the end of the phrase, ie. the melody builds up right to he end of this phrase where they put the lift), then transition into the start of the second phrase (when the music is changing and they are doing circular steps).

It is not the same, but a little similar to the Goose lift in Mahler where there is a fermata in the music to signal this tension/climax. This fermata is the "peak" in the phrase where they put this lift.

elif

Medalist
Of course the music is changing/rising AFTER they finished the lift. :laugh:That part (where the music is changing/rising) is the start of a NEW musical PHRASE. What, you expect them to put that lift there? Did you listen to the youtube music? The lift happens right when the BEGINNING phrase climaxes (you can hear a slight pause, this is the end of the phrase, ie. the melody builds up right to he end of this phrase where they put the lift), then transition into the start of the second phrase (when the music is changing and they are doing circular steps).

I fully expected them to put lift there. :laugh: New(?!) phrase is much more powerful for this powerful lift. Where they put is too weak for that, especially considering coming new phrase .:laugh: You can argue,''I seperated music in two parts, this is where first one ends, so this is climax of the music'' :laugh: But in that program no, this is not. As I say you can think this is perfection, but other teams are doing much much much better job to highlight their music and lifts. :cool:

Mia_

Rinkside
I fully expected them to put lift there. New(?!) phrase is much more powerful for this powerful lift. Where they put is too weak for that, especially considering coming new phrase .:laugh: You can argue,''I seperated music in two parts, this is where first one ends, so this is climax of the music'' But in that program no, this is not. As I say you can think this is perfection, but other teams are doing much much much better job to highlight their music and lifts.

Then where will you put the lift in this new phrase? Because the end of that NEW phrase (the rising/changing music) they put the curve lift there :laugh: You should listen to the music stand-alone youtube that I posted. It is very clear the melody builds to that phrase.

Just because the climax is not Loud and Bombastic does not mean it is not a climax. :laugh: If so, all subtle/slow music have no climax :laugh: :cool:

elif

Medalist
Then where will you put the lift in this new phrase? Because the end of that phrase they put the curve lift there :laugh: You should listen to the music stand-alone youtube that I posted.

I didn't know there is a rule about ''you can only to put the lift end of the phrase'':laugh: Beginning of the new phrase (where they ended the lift) can be better, Tessa rising as music rising :cool:

Mia_

Rinkside
I didn't know there is a rule about ''you can only to put the lift end of the phrase'':laugh: Beginning of the new phrase (where they ended the lift) can be better, Tessa rising as music rising :cool:

It is not necessarily at the end of the phrase, it is the PEAK/CLIMAX of the phrase where the lift would be effective. In this case, the PEAK/CLIMAX also happens to be at the END of the phrase in the beginning section. :cool: That is why the straight line lift is perfect there.

Can you listen to the youtube video I posted earlier again? Maybe if you use your ears and not your eyes you might be able to hear the peak of the phrase.:cool::laugh:

elif

Medalist
I'm not going to argue with you anymore, this is pointless.:laugh: I'm listening to music without seperating so after the lift ended is very powerful for me. You are seperating music two parts, saying end of the first one is climax but completely ignoring new phrase is much more powerful, because its just new for you. :rolleye: OK you can think that but don't patronize me like''you don't understand music If you can't think like me'' :laugh:

I can say same things for you too If you want, but this couldn't be classy/cool for me. I'm always classy :cool:

Can you listen to the youtube video I posted earlier again? Maybe if you use your ears and not your eyes you might be able to hear the peak of the phrase.
I think you just can't listen to music.
What, you expect them to put that lift there? Did you listen to the youtube music?
You should listen to the music stand-alone youtube that I posted. It is very clear the melody builds to that phrase.
Just because the climax is not Loud and Bombastic does not mean it is not a climax. If so, all subtle/slow music have no climax

Mia_

Rinkside
I'm not going to argue with you anymore, this is pointless. I'm listening to music without seperating so after the lift ended is very powerful for me. You are seperating music two parts, saying end of the first one is climax but completely ignoring new phrase is much more powerful, because its new for you. OK you can think that but don't patronize me like''you don't understand music If you can't think like me''

I can say same things for you too If you want, but this couldn't be classy/cool for me

So because you can't back up your assertion you think you need to insult me with something un-classy and un-cool to counter my argument :cool:

So now, your rule is "powerful music, so everyone must do powerful lift at this time"! :laugh:
A phrase is like a musical sentence. I am confused, where do you hear the CLIMAX of the second section of the music (rising/changing part) that they could fit this lift to? The second section is very powerful and sweeping, that is why (IMO) they do the sweeping edges to go with this music. Very big moves, big powerful skating to complement this powerful music.
Tessa is rising when the phrase reaches the climax in the first section. If go by your rules, every dancer cannot skate to slower/subtle music because lifts will be inappropriate regardless. :laugh: Everyone needs to skate Spartacus and Les Miserables. :cool:

OK you can think that but don't patronize me like''you don't understand music If you can't think like me''

You are doing the same thing to me :laugh:

sweetskates1

Medalist
The fact is that this is sport with spectators - D/W execute which makes them amazing athletes and carefully tend to details which makes them a joy to watch. They do not run across the ice - they float... It is very simple to me and I find so many of their dances iconic - they have created memories of gorgeous ice dancing for me.

Go figure - enjoy your Sunday - no huffing and puffing here Marlie! Marlie Marlie! Pure joy only! :yay: :clap:

It is simple, V & M will create a memory of real and beautiful ice dancing, D & W will run carelessly around the ice with a forgettable non-musical program...again. D & W fan can huff and puff all they want, no amount of explanation will replace the facts. Ice Dance is about proper positions, interaction, transitions and we know that by the end of the first minute V & M will have accomplished more of that than the others will in 4 minutes.

caitie

Medalist
Warm-Up Group 4
16 PECHALAT Nathalie / BOURZAT Fabian FRA 4 72.78
17 VIRTUE Tessa / MOIR Scott CAN 2 76.33
18 ILINYKH Elena / KATSALAPOV Nikita RUS 3 73.04
19 BOBROVA Ekaterina / SOLOVIEV Dmitri RUS 5 69.97
20 DAVIS Meryl / WHITE Charlie USA 1 78.89

Well, they do have to skate after the two Russian teams, but I have complete faith in their Schez program and wish them well.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I hope Marlie have their Yagudin moment - you know where the 2nd Cold War becomes thwarted and the Americans and Russians root for each other?

Marlie to end the night right - 119 and there is no ceiling! Go Marlie!!!!!!

Well, they do have to skate after the two Russian teams, but I have complete faith in their Schez program and wish them well.

gmyers

Record Breaker
P/b skating before I/k means I/k will know if they can win bronze. If p/b makes a mistake I/k may be too excited.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Good that V/M are before the Russians who will likely get high scores regardless. Unfortunately it's a bad draw for attempting to win gold but I think we all know D/W have it in the bag barring disaster.