Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1294

Thread: 2014 Olympics Free Dance

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    909
    The fact is that this is sport with spectators - D/W execute which makes them amazing athletes and carefully tend to details which makes them a joy to watch. They do not run across the ice - they float... It is very simple to me and I find so many of their dances iconic - they have created memories of gorgeous ice dancing for me.

    Go figure - enjoy your Sunday - no huffing and puffing here Marlie! Marlie Marlie! Pure joy only!

    Quote Originally Posted by bladz123 View Post
    It is simple, V & M will create a memory of real and beautiful ice dancing, D & W will run carelessly around the ice with a forgettable non-musical program...again. D & W fan can huff and puff all they want, no amount of explanation will replace the facts. Ice Dance is about proper positions, interaction, transitions and we know that by the end of the first minute V & M will have accomplished more of that than the others will in 4 minutes.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Drakkanada
    Posts
    681
    Warm-Up Group 4
    16 PECHALAT Nathalie / BOURZAT Fabian FRA 4 72.78
    17 VIRTUE Tessa / MOIR Scott CAN 2 76.33
    18 ILINYKH Elena / KATSALAPOV Nikita RUS 3 73.04
    19 BOBROVA Ekaterina / SOLOVIEV Dmitri RUS 5 69.97
    20 DAVIS Meryl / WHITE Charlie USA 1 78.89
    Well, they do have to skate after the two Russian teams, but I have complete faith in their Schez program and wish them well.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    909
    I hope Marlie have their Yagudin moment - you know where the 2nd Cold War becomes thwarted and the Americans and Russians root for each other?

    Marlie to end the night right - 119 and there is no ceiling! Go Marlie!!!!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    Well, they do have to skate after the two Russian teams, but I have complete faith in their Schez program and wish them well.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,790
    P/b skating before I/k means I/k will know if they can win bronze. If p/b makes a mistake I/k may be too excited.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,282
    Good that V/M are before the Russians who will likely get high scores regardless. Unfortunately it's a bad draw for attempting to win gold but I think we all know D/W have it in the bag barring disaster.

  6. #21
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    27
    I seriously can't help but think these draws are rigged even though I watched them being done! How do D/W end up skating last in both the short and free dance when we all know that the judges will tend to mark them higher the later they go? Must just be pure luck.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    178
    Haven't D/W skated last all season? It seems to me that in almost every recent competition, they are last. That always gives the judges the opp to lowball V/M and then give D/W the winning score. I just knew when V/M had 76, I predicted at least a 78 for them, and then lo and behold, that's what happened. And I'm not a judging expert by any means.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by apgold View Post
    Haven't D/W skated last all season? It seems to me that in almost every recent competition, they are last. That always gives the judges the opp to lowball V/M and then give D/W the winning score. I just knew when V/M had 76, I predicted at least a 78 for them, and then lo and behold, that's what happened. And I'm not a judging expert by any means.
    Yes I also think that if their orders have been reversed, there would have been a smaller gap between their scores, although D/W would still have been in the lead.

    Are there observers at the draws? Basically D/W's chance of skating last for both events was 1/12*1/5 = 1/60. What are the odds!

    Apgold, for other competitions they skated last because the short program is usually in the reverse order of their ISU ranking, where of course D/W is on the top followed by V/M, and the free skating is also done in the reverse rank of the short program.

  9. #24
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by VirMo View Post
    Yes I also think that if their orders have been reversed, there would have been a smaller gap between their scores, although D/W would still have been in the lead.

    Are there observers at the draws? Basically D/W's chance of skating last for both events was 1/12*1/5 = 1/60. What are the odds!
    It definitely gives them a huge advantage. I feel like if V/M were skating last tomorrow, they would have a big shot at the gold. But since everyone wants to see the excitement of the last team to skate getting first, the judges could be practically giving points away by then.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    909
    Um, really? I have re-watched D/W and V/M outings side by side first GP, second GP, GPF, Nationals - D/W > V/M specially in the FD. Big time in the F/D actually. But, then again I am just an spectator - no knowledge about the fine technical scoring details. Who knows, nothing is assured but in my mind D/W should win if all is skated well.

    Quote Originally Posted by ericka141 View Post
    It definitely gives them a huge advantage. I feel like if V/M were skating last tomorrow, they would have a big shot at the gold. But since everyone wants to see the excitement of the last team to skate getting first, the judges could be practically giving points away by then.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Drakkanada
    Posts
    681
    But since everyone wants to see the excitement of the last team to skate getting first, the judges could be practically giving points away by then.
    Does the last skater/team to go usually get first at the Olympics? I feel like that's rare. It certainly wasn't the case in the first two events.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    Does the last skater/team to go usually get first at the Olympics? I feel like that's rare. It certainly wasn't the case in the first two events.
    Well the final team/skater still has to deliver it right? But the judges would feel that once the final skater has done well then the skaters before him/her, they can be more generous with the scores since it doesn't really matter. Similar to 6.0 mentality.

  13. #28
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,433
    Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    Does the last skater/team to go usually get first at the Olympics? I feel like that's rare. It certainly wasn't the case in the first two events.
    Not true for Dance in 2010 in Vancouver.

  14. #29
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by ericka141 View Post
    I seriously can't help but think these draws are rigged even though I watched them being done! How do D/W end up skating last in both the short and free dance when we all know that the judges will tend to mark them higher the later they go? Must just be pure luck.
    While it would be close to LITERALLY impossible to rig the draw (off the top of my head I can't think how it could be done or, really, who would want to do it who would actually be able to) I do agree it is unbelievably lucky for D/W that they got the final spot in both programs. Odds of it, while not astronomically low, are low enough that they should be thanking their lucky stars.

    Good draw for both Russian teams this time too. Better draw for V/M than in the SD but still far from ideal.

  15. #30
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by VirMo View Post
    Apgold, for other competitions they skated last because the short program is usually in the reverse order of their ISU ranking, where of course D/W is on the top followed by V/M, and the free skating is also done in the reverse rank of the short program.
    This. There is no mystery why D/W have been going last at other events. Winning the SP at almost all other events will do it for you, and for the SD they are first in WR.

Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •