2014 Olympics Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Free Dance

ericka141

On the Ice
I seriously can't help but think these draws are rigged even though I watched them being done! How do D/W end up skating last in both the short and free dance when we all know that the judges will tend to mark them higher the later they go? Must just be pure luck.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haven't D/W skated last all season? It seems to me that in almost every recent competition, they are last. That always gives the judges the opp to lowball V/M and then give D/W the winning score. I just knew when V/M had 76, I predicted at least a 78 for them, and then lo and behold, that's what happened. And I'm not a judging expert by any means.

VirMo

On the Ice
Haven't D/W skated last all season? It seems to me that in almost every recent competition, they are last. That always gives the judges the opp to lowball V/M and then give D/W the winning score. I just knew when V/M had 76, I predicted at least a 78 for them, and then lo and behold, that's what happened. And I'm not a judging expert by any means.

Yes I also think that if their orders have been reversed, there would have been a smaller gap between their scores, although D/W would still have been in the lead.

Are there observers at the draws? Basically D/W's chance of skating last for both events was 1/12*1/5 = 1/60. What are the odds!

Apgold, for other competitions they skated last because the short program is usually in the reverse order of their ISU ranking, where of course D/W is on the top followed by V/M, and the free skating is also done in the reverse rank of the short program.

ericka141

On the Ice
Yes I also think that if their orders have been reversed, there would have been a smaller gap between their scores, although D/W would still have been in the lead.

Are there observers at the draws? Basically D/W's chance of skating last for both events was 1/12*1/5 = 1/60. What are the odds!

It definitely gives them a huge advantage. I feel like if V/M were skating last tomorrow, they would have a big shot at the gold. But since everyone wants to see the excitement of the last team to skate getting first, the judges could be practically giving points away by then.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Um, really? I have re-watched D/W and V/M outings side by side first GP, second GP, GPF, Nationals - D/W > V/M specially in the FD. Big time in the F/D actually. But, then again I am just an spectator - no knowledge about the fine technical scoring details. Who knows, nothing is assured but in my mind D/W should win if all is skated well.

It definitely gives them a huge advantage. I feel like if V/M were skating last tomorrow, they would have a big shot at the gold. But since everyone wants to see the excitement of the last team to skate getting first, the judges could be practically giving points away by then.

caitie

Medalist
But since everyone wants to see the excitement of the last team to skate getting first, the judges could be practically giving points away by then.

Does the last skater/team to go usually get first at the Olympics? I feel like that's rare. It certainly wasn't the case in the first two events.

VirMo

On the Ice
Does the last skater/team to go usually get first at the Olympics? I feel like that's rare. It certainly wasn't the case in the first two events.

Well the final team/skater still has to deliver it right? But the judges would feel that once the final skater has done well then the skaters before him/her, they can be more generous with the scores since it doesn't really matter. Similar to 6.0 mentality.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I seriously can't help but think these draws are rigged even though I watched them being done! How do D/W end up skating last in both the short and free dance when we all know that the judges will tend to mark them higher the later they go? Must just be pure luck.

While it would be close to LITERALLY impossible to rig the draw (off the top of my head I can't think how it could be done or, really, who would want to do it who would actually be able to) I do agree it is unbelievably lucky for D/W that they got the final spot in both programs. Odds of it, while not astronomically low, are low enough that they should be thanking their lucky stars.

Good draw for both Russian teams this time too. Better draw for V/M than in the SD but still far from ideal.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Apgold, for other competitions they skated last because the short program is usually in the reverse order of their ISU ranking, where of course D/W is on the top followed by V/M, and the free skating is also done in the reverse rank of the short program.

This. There is no mystery why D/W have been going last at other events. Winning the SP at almost all other events will do it for you, and for the SD they are first in WR.

caitie

Medalist
While it would be close to LITERALLY impossible to rig the draw (off the top of my head I can't think how it could be done or, really, who would want to do it who would actually be able to) I do agree it is unbelievably lucky for D/W that they got the final spot in both programs. Odds of it, while not astronomically low, are low enough that they should be thanking their lucky stars.

Maybe that's why Meryl is wearing those sleeves. They're stuffed with #20s! (In actuality, I have no idea how the draw works. I'm assuming numbers in a bag?)

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
bad draw for P/B to have a fair shot at Bronze. :cry:

SimplyLex

On the Ice
I'm extremely happy Sheherezade will be the last dance of these Olympics. Talk about ending it on a high note.

See, even the stars are aligned to ensure Meryl and Charlie win :biggrin: I mean, this is pretty much the universe telling us who should be the next Olympic champions.

ITA regarding P/B, though. Skating before both Russian teams might cost them that bronze.

bixby

Final Flight
I'm extremely happy Sheherezade will be the last dance of these Olympics. Talk about ending it on a high note.

See, even the stars are aligned to ensure Meryl and Charlie win :biggrin: I mean, this is pretty much the universe telling us who should be the next Olympic champions.

ITA regarding P/B, though. Skating before both Russian teams might cost them that bronze.

YES. Everything seems to really work in their favor. Me too, so glad that it would be the last dance people would see and remember. Their GOLDEN MOMENT is about to be etched in such an epic and historic fashion.

What a great story it has been unfolding before our eyes... From their humble beginnings and all the in betweens, it is now culminating to this one BIG moment for them. Such a class act all through the years I might add!

I'm already getting choke up and holding back tears. Will be so happy for them and I can't wait for tomorrow.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I hope Meryl and Charlie are magical tomorrow and that they win huge without question breaking their own world record.

YES. Everything seems to really work in their favor. Me too, so glad that it would be the last dance people would see and remember. Their GOLDEN MOMENT is about to be etched in such an epic and historic fashion.

What a great story it has been unfolding before our eyes... From their humble beginnings and all the in betweens, it is now culminating to this one BIG moment for them. Such a class act all through the years I might add!

I'm already getting choke up and holding back tears. Will be so happy for them and I can't wait for tomorrow.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
With that draw podium probably remains the same. I&K will know exactly what P&B did and what they must do to secure the bronze (B&S can do nothing to catch them from more than 3 points back if they put up a good performance and high score). D&W likewise will know exactly what score they need to stay in front of V&M.

I'm really excited for tomorrow! I think that there are a lot of pairs to enjoy watching in this area right now. Beyond D/W and V/M, I'm really excited to watch I/K and P/B!!

I absoluetly love the "Swan Lake" FD - so I hope they skate it really well....and that all her feathers stay where they should! ;)

amusedstranger

Rinkside
I will probably be hyperventilating tomorrow during my morning class just thinking about the competition that will be happening at the same time. I hope Meryl and Charlie have a magical performance tomorrow so they leave no doubt as to the winner, as well as a well-skated event overall.

uncchristine99

Rinkside
Looking at the draw and considering the programs... everybody's buzzing about D/W and V/M for 1-2 but I see I/K sneaking in for silver. Call me crazy, I just do... V/M's strength is the SD and they're not ahead enough that I/K's Swan Lake can't catch them. I/K will will have the crowd going wild!! Seems pretty clear that D/W will take gold and it should be V/M and I/K for silver and bronze either way. P/B will be low-balled just on the draw and B/S will be completely overshadowed by I/K. Can't wait to see it all unfold!

Looking at the draw and considering the programs... everybody's buzzing about D/W and V/M for 1-2 but I see I/K sneaking in for silver. Call me crazy, I just do... V/M's strength is the SD and they're not ahead enough that I/K's Swan Lake can't catch them. I/K will will have the crowd going wild!! Seems pretty clear that D/W will take gold and it should be V/M and I/K for silver and bronze either way. P/B will be low-balled just on the draw and B/S will be completely overshadowed by I/K. Can't wait to see it all unfold!

Oh man.....If that prediction were to come true, I'd just be :eek::jaw: That would certainly be a twist!