Page 3 of 202 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

Custom Title
    Now that "all of Russia's hopes" are upon Sotnikova, I don't see tomorrow going well for her. I bet the pressure will get to her. Conversely, now that Russia thinks Lipnitskaya has no hope, she'll bang out a perfect program. I really wouldn't be shocked if Julia still makes the podium, 10 points or not.

I'm still hoping Kostner can pull this off somehow, but we'll see. I've been a fan of hers since before Torino. I have to stay with her till her retirement. Go Carolina!

I'd most like to see everyone skate clean, in which case I bet it'd stay the same order, but then we'll have 4 years of arguing over everyone's grades of execution and PCS.

Custom Title
    Is it too much to hope that Yuna decides to swap out her tango for Les Miserables again? Or is it too late to make that call? I'd love it if she pulled out last year's performance and put it on Olympic ice. It would be immortal. Anyhow, it's just my wishful thinking.

Loved all three top ladies today. I think if #2-#4 falter or make big mistakes Yulia still has a shot at the podium. I'm very sad and still in shock for all three Japanese ladies.

Custom Title
    As everybody else I didn't expect what happened. On the other hand Costner's performance was easy to predict: her short is spectacular and she always performed it well. Of course, as usual, she won't be able to to hold on to that. So for me, she is out of medal contention. However, I have been always wrong in my predictions, so in reality this is just my wishful thinking. I simply don't want her on the podium.

So for me it's a reluctant admission that gold will go to Yuna. Very reluctant.
    Silver is open assuming Carolina will fall apart and I have no idea how well Adelina can hold on. Can Yulia make up the 10 missing points? This will require her best performance ever with help from others. Completely unpredictable. Coin toss.
    Anyway, I think Gracie has a lock on the podium already. Which is good.

So in the current circumstances my dream podium is:
    1. Yuna
    2. Gracie
    3. Yulia.

Please, be like that!

And another request to Olympic God: please, make Mikaela win slalom!

Quote Originally Posted by finnstep View Post
    starting orders are up.

Yu-na will be skating last. Good luck, yu-na!
    yay!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fahrenheit290 View Post
    I wonder if we'll see a controversial finish. When was the last time a gold-medal winner was relatively (or highly) disputed in the ladies' competition?
    1994 and 1998 were razor-thin. 2002 was somewhat odd, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    If Carolina is clean, she will win
    Yuna' Freeskate, that adios nino is terrible and falls flat
    Are you mad the robot Gracie Not Gold is behind Queen yuna?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by lupojohn View Post
    ugh 1998 - 2006 was painful to watch. i don't want another surprise year. i don't care who finished 2nd 3rd as long as the queen still reigns lol

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by lupojohn View Post
    Agreed, 2002 was odd, but I think at least in that year and 1998 the best performances of the night won (+ having the technical advantage of triple-triple combinations). I know in 2002, people were a little agitated with the results of the short program, which factored in when the free skates were all over the place and Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen fell short.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mirai4life View Post
    Are you mad the robot Gracie Not Gold is behind Queen yuna?
    That was expected. It's the margin with which she is behind Kostner and Sotnikova that is questionable.

On the Ice
    Also, Kwan's camp had to know in 1998 that Lipinski had a triple-triple (x2...with the triple-half loop-triple sal). Why didn't they counter that? Tara had even won the prior year's world championship.

Who was the "queen" in 2006, catija?

Custom Title
    I think she meant to say that she doesn't care who gets the silver and bronze as long as Kim Yu-Na wins.

Custom Title
    Also, Kwan's camp had to know in 1998 that Lipinski had a triple-triple (x2...with the triple-half loop-triple sal). Why didn't they counter that? Tara had even won the prior year's world championship.

Because Michelle handily beat Tara at US Nationals with a clean skate; she had also missed a decent chunk of that season because of a left foot injury so that she couldn't do a 3T-3T. But there is little tech that Kwan could've realistically added that would've bumped her over two 3-3s.

They were banking on her artistic (which was the tiebreaker) over Tara's technical.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    I thought Kostner was only doing 5 triples...
    triple lutz
    double axel
    triple flip/triple toe
    triple loop
    triple toe/double toe
    triple salchow
    triple salchow/double toe/double loop

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Is it too much to hope that Yuna decides to swap out her tango for Les Miserables again? Or is it too late to make that call? I'd love it if she pulled out last year's performance and put it on Olympic ice. It would be immortal. Anyhow, it's just my wishful thinking.

Loved all three top ladies today. I think if #2-#4 falter or make big mistakes Yulia still has a shot at the podium. I'm very sad and still in shock for all three Japanese ladies.
    I'm still hoping Yuna surprises everyone ands pull out Homage for the free. Her current LP seems like an odd combo of sexiness and melancholy...still, she's got this locked down. This girl has the mental strength of...can't even think of anyone else to compare her to.

So gutted for Mao though. When she fell, I felt like life was so cruel at that moment.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerio2 View Post
    I'm still hoping Yuna surprises everyone ands pull out Homage for the free. Her current LP seems like an odd combo of sexiness and melancholy...still, she's got this locked down. This girl has the mental strength of...can't even think of anyone else to compare her to.

So gutted for Mao though. When she fell, I felt like life was so cruel at that moment.
    Yes, I agree that she could have performed Homage / Arirang much better. It was a beautiful program but we all see her let it get away from her in 2011. That being said, I wasn't over-the-moon about her Gershwin immediately until I saw it in the FS at Vancouver and started jumping up and down in my seat in rapture. Perhaps she can apply that same magic here?

Mao will always be a great champion to me, no matter her finish at Sochi. It was just never meant to be for her. :(

Page 3 of 202 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast