2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

burntBREAD

Medalist
Also, Kwan's camp had to know in 1998 that Lipinski had a triple-triple (x2...with the triple-half loop-triple sal). Why didn't they counter that? Tara had even won the prior year's world championship.

Who was the "queen" in 2006, catija?

Because Michelle handily beat Tara at US Nationals with a clean skate; she had also missed a decent chunk of that season because of a left foot injury so that she couldn't do a 3T-3T. But there is little tech that Kwan could've realistically added that would've bumped her over two 3-3s.

They were banking on her artistic (which was the tiebreaker) over Tara's technical.

cheerio2

On the Ice
Is it too much to hope that Yuna decides to swap out her tango for Les Miserables again? Or is it too late to make that call? I'd love it if she pulled out last year's performance and put it on Olympic ice. It would be immortal. Anyhow, it's just my wishful thinking.

Loved all three top ladies today. I think if #2-#4 falter or make big mistakes Yulia still has a shot at the podium. I'm very sad and still in shock for all three Japanese ladies.

I'm still hoping Yuna surprises everyone ands pull out Homage for the free. Her current LP seems like an odd combo of sexiness and melancholy...still, she's got this locked down. This girl has the mental strength of...can't even think of anyone else to compare her to.

So gutted for Mao though. When she fell, I felt like life was so cruel at that moment.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I'm still hoping Yuna surprises everyone ands pull out Homage for the free. Her current LP seems like an odd combo of sexiness and melancholy...still, she's got this locked down. This girl has the mental strength of...can't even think of anyone else to compare her to.

So gutted for Mao though. When she fell, I felt like life was so cruel at that moment.

Yes, I agree that she could have performed Homage / Arirang much better. It was a beautiful program but we all see her let it get away from her in 2011. That being said, I wasn't over-the-moon about her Gershwin immediately until I saw it in the FS at Vancouver and started jumping up and down in my seat in rapture. Perhaps she can apply that same magic here?

Mao will always be a great champion to me, no matter her finish at Sochi. It was just never meant to be for her. :(

Ophelia

Record Breaker

As much as I like Homage, 1) the chances of her pulling it out are close to 0, 2) she might get docked points for using such a nationalistic song.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Tara wasn't clean at nationals. Sure she landed her jumps in the FS, but some of her landings were wonky. Tara skated not to lose the Olympic birth at nationals (understandable after the fall in SP), while she skated to win at the Olympics.

I still don't feel Michelle was cautious either. Lyra was a bit too "one-note", especially after the ridiculously good Rach SP (choreographically speaking). It also lacks the excitement of some of her other FS - namely Tosca and Red Violin.

fahrenheit290

Rinkside
Because Michelle handily beat Tara at US Nationals with a clean skate; she had also missed a decent chunk of that season because of a left foot injury so that she couldn't do a 3T-3T. But there is little tech that Kwan could've realistically added that would've bumped her over two 3-3s.

They were banking on her artistic (which was the tiebreaker) over Tara's technical.

Well, weren't the U.S. Championships Kwan's domain for a decade? I remember the death stare captured by the camera in 2001 when Sasha beat her in the SP. Lipinski also fell in her SP, so of course that put the momentum heavily on Kwan's side to emerge from Nationals with the narrative for the Olympics. Watching Tara's skate, the writing was on the wall for her Olympics victory.

cheerio2

On the Ice
Yes, I agree that she could have performed Homage / Arirang much better. It was a beautiful program but we all see her let it get away from her in 2011. That being said, I wasn't over-the-moon about her Gershwin immediately until I saw it in the FS at Vancouver and started jumping up and down in my seat in rapture. Perhaps she can apply that same magic here?

Mao will always be a great champion to me, no matter her finish at Sochi. It was just never meant to be for her. :(

Yes, sad that we only saw her skate that gorgeous program once. But I also hope she "magic-izes" this program like she did Gershwin.

Also true that she would get docked for using a nationalistic song, esp. in front of a hyper nationalistic crowd.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gold was way underscored tonight. She deserved almost the same score as Sotnikova.

No way. Her lutz was tentative, her 2A had a scratchy landing and she was tight throughout. Sotnikova had a nice 3-3, level 4's on all her elements, and skated with much more energy and expression than Gold. Maybe 4-5 points spread would have been more reasonable (after all, Gold was clean), but PCS wise Sotnikova thwomped Gold (with or without Russian inflation).

Gracie's PB is 69-ish, so 68 makes sense with tentative jumps and Olympics inflation. Sotnikova should have about 72-73 points, but if Lipnitskaia gets 72 in Russia, then you can believe Sotnikova would be getting at least 73-74.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I really hope Julia skates clean and gets that medal! She has PB in LP 10 points higher than Adelina and Carolina! I believe in her! Anyway, she is a fighter!
My dream podium would be Yuna, Julia and Adelina in any order! (sorry, but Carolina and Gracie have never been my cup of tea)

Panini

On the Ice
I don't know if team Russia hired an amazing sports psychologist for Sochi but so far, all the Russian skaters have performed incredibly well under pressure. While I don't agree with her score, I hope Adelina doesn't become the one exception to the rule.

Now that "all of Russia's hopes" are upon Sotnikova, I don't see tomorrow going well for her. I bet the pressure will get to her. Conversely, now that Russia thinks Lipnitskaya has no hope, she'll bang out a perfect program. I really wouldn't be shocked if Julia still makes the podium, 10 points or not.

I'm still hoping Kostner can pull this off somehow, but we'll see. I've been a fan of hers since before Torino. I have to stay with her till her retirement. Go Carolina!

I'd most like to see everyone skate clean, in which case I bet it'd stay the same order, but then we'll have 4 years of arguing over everyone's grades of execution and PCS. :laugh:

Ven

Match Penalty
Gold was way underscored tonight. She deserved almost the same score as Sotnikova.

Not even close. Sotnikova >>>>> Gold

Both were overscored, but Sotnikova skated her program. Gold just did the elements, and her jumps were off axis and all over the place.

Prediction: This will play out like Torino. Top three very close together. The one people are least expecting wins the gold medal: Carolina Kostner.

I think she'll choke and the gold will be between Kim and Sotnikova who seems to be in a fantastic shape lately. Given Sot's BV is higher and the judges are giving her huge marks, she might end up winning... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! :slink:

I think Lipnitskaia can still pull up to bronze, at the very least, with a clean FS.

No way. Her [Gold's] lutz was tentative, her 2A had a scratchy landing and she was tight throughout.

3lutz was off-axis in the air and didn't have a lot of flow out (it's a miracle she did a fully rotated 3toe off the end so respect for her!).
3loop didn't have a lot of flow out either and there was a break between the steps and the jump.
2axel was off-axis in the air and had a scratchy landing.

A lot of speed, decent timing but the rest of her skating, presentation-wise still leaves a lot of to be desired. Of course so does Sotnikova's but the point is, it's not like Gold should have a big advantage on the PCS, there were small issues with her jumps and her spins aren't as impressive (although they were very good as well).

raress

On the Ice
It is funny how everyone is praising his/her favorite,criticizing other skaters!Let's enjoy the competition and may the best performance win!:clap:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
LOL Sotnikova is even less likely to do an almost clean LP and Kostner. And it wouldnt be Aargh for you as it is obvious by your ridiculous comments in the other thread you are a HUGE Sotnikova fanboy.

Sotnikova's sure as hell been more consistent in her LP this season and over the past few competitions.

Kostner would have to literally have the skate of her life. Delivering two clean programs for the first time ever and at the Olympics would be sensational for her though.

Weren't you saying prior to this SP that Kostner has no chance at a medal, ptf? :laugh:

Krislite

Medalist
Adelina's score isn't that surprising, given the context. If anything the judges surely knew she needed the most padding in the SP, because she's not exactly consistent in the LP. They had to ensure a Russian on the podium. Similarly for Kostner, she's very lucky for that SP score, given her track record in skating the long program. Their podium finish is not guaranteed.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Adelina's score isn't that surprising, given the context. If anything the judges surely knew she needed the most padding in the SP, because she's not exactly consistent in the LP. They had to ensure a Russian on the podium. Similarly for Kostner, she's very lucky for that SP score, given her track record in skating the long program. Their podium finish is not guaranteed.

I agree. It's also the reason they didn't want to call Julia's flutz (the technical controller was Russian) or drop her PCS a whole lot (33.08 vs. 33.51 for a clean SP in the team event), to keep her within fighting distance of bronze. It will be very difficult for Lipnitskaia to win, so it makes sense for Russia to throw all their eggs into Sotnikova's basket. Julia was the golden egg, and Sotnikova was the safety net.

I think if I/K had royally messed up in the short dance, they would have given Bobrova/Soloviev 3rd place-worthy scores to ensure a bronze in that event.

LOL Sotnikova is even less likely to do an almost clean LP and Kostner. And it wouldnt be Aargh for you as it is obvious by your ridiculous comments in the other thread you are a HUGE Sotnikova fanboy.

Again: Personal remarks are both unnecessary and ugly.

I have been consistently questioning Sotnikova's PCS marks for what, at least 2 years now? Some fanboy!

More importantly, I think that being a 'fan' (in the negative sense of the word) of any skater shows a lack of critical thinking. The emotional connection means you see everything they do as wonderful and I find that very sad, as you're essentially lying to yourself. I also don't need a skater (or a music group or an actor) in order to define my identity.

The same goes for being 'a hater.' The world is not black and white. Just because I think that Sotnikova's skating is really lacking on the PCS-side, doesn't mean that I am incapable of appreciating how well she is capable of executing her technical elements when she skates to her full potential. And whilst I intensely dislike Sotnikova's skating at this moment in time, if she improves her basics and shows well choreographed programs, actually skated to the music, then my perception of her is obviously going to change accordingly.

It's funny though. I thought people would consider me a Sotnikova hater because I was always going :rolleye: at her PCS scores.

And she has been in an excellent shape recently, so yes, I think she is more likely to skate a clean FS than Kostner at this point.