2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

lupojohn

On the Ice
No way. Her lutz was tentative, her 2A had a scratchy landing and she was tight throughout. Sotnikova had a nice 3-3, level 4's on all her elements, and skated with much more energy and expression than Gold. Maybe 4-5 points spread would have been more reasonable (after all, Gold was clean), but PCS wise Sotnikova thwomped Gold (with or without Russian inflation).

Gracie's PB is 69-ish, so 68 makes sense with tentative jumps and Olympics inflation. Sotnikova should have about 72-73 points, but if Lipnitskaia gets 72 in Russia, then you can believe Sotnikova would be getting at least 73-74.

The tentativeness is understandable, so you could expect her to be that way.

lupojohn

On the Ice
It is funny how everyone is praising his/her favorite,criticizing other skaters!Let's enjoy the competition and may the best performance win!:clap:

it would be fine if the spread wasn't so big. We all want excitement and not to know who the medalists are before the free skate.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I should also add that Gold's PCS *did* go up to a personal best of 32.08 from 30.92. She could have cleared 70 if her lutz was more solid and her 2A was cleaner.

zamboni step

Final Flight
I should also add that Gold's PCS *did* go up to a personal best of 32.08 from 30.92. She could have cleared 70 if her lutz was more solid and her 2A was cleaner.

I honestly thought Gold was also overscored with her 2A not even receiving -1s from all judges and getting 8s for PE IN and CH. Sotnikova's PCS was more understandable as she didn't look afraid for one second out there, it was probably quite the moment from her. For the record, I think Carolina should have won the short program so I'm not on either side of this Russian conspiracy theory.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I honestly thought Gold was also overscored with her 2A not even receiving -1s from all judges and getting 8s for PE IN and CH. Sotnikova's PCS was more understandable as she didn't look afraid for one second out there, it was probably quite the moment from her. For the record, I think Carolina should have won the short program so I'm not on either side of this Russian conspiracy theory.

They must have saw other factors being strong enough for 0's.

I mean, if V/T can get +3's and +2's on throws that have a hand down or a two-foot....

Krislite

Medalist
This "Russian Conspiracy" crap on this forum is getting really annoying.

Putin's character and the way he runs the Russian government doesn't exactly help clear up that suspicion. It's not an utterly irrational assumption. Moreover, it's a known fact that there have been plenty of cheating and back-dealing in figure skating. It's a well documented fact and only a buffoon would deny it.

zamboni step

Final Flight
They must have saw other factors being strong enough for 0's.

I mean, if V/T can get +3's and +2's on throws that have a hand down or a two-foot....

Too much inflation, Gracie's 2A had not much height, not much flow (enough of a lack of flow thereof for a deduction) footwork going in, and it was timed with the music. But the lack of flow is a -1 and the inside edge is at least a -1 too. I really don't see what else this jump had. Also the 3Lz-3T was only 0 worthy, her jumps just aren't that big anymore.

tjskate

Rinkside
Looking forward to watching the short program tonight (except it will be hard to watch Mao) and the free skate tomorrow! These ladies are all amazing; wonderful achievement to make it to the Olympics! I feel for those who did not make the cut; I wish they could all skate tomorrow!

My heart hurts for Mao - not having seen this, I was even wondering if she slightly hurt herself in the 3A fall? I know though from experience that competing nerves can make your knees turn into lead :-( I've loved this short program and wished she could show it off for the world, hoping she has a wonderful free skate!

My secret wish now is that Carolina has the skate of her life for the gold :) Well, how about everyone having the skate of her life? :) Wouldn't that be great!

samson

Medalist
I just want to say that if Gracie is on the podium tomorrow night, Frank Carroll deserves a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Seruleane

Final Flight
If there's anyone who can skate last under that kind of pressure, it's Yuna!!! Good luck to all the women...may the best one win! (just hope it's Yuna, but not going to complain if Adelina or Carolina win with the skate of their life).

Ehh...Gracie was kind of propped up by the judges. I think Ashley deserved to be in front of her.

ClockwiseSpinner

Rinkside
Kim - robotically perfect as usual. nerves of steel. beautiful girl, but little emotions.
Kostner - happy for her. hope she can skate with joy tomorrow and make a dream come true.
Sotnikova - amazing energy, super talented skater. will be the top lady after the older skaters retire. she could make it and become champion tomorrow already.
Gold - overscored. shaky jumps, unemotional performance, nothing interesting about her skating. and her hair...yuk.
Lipnitskaia - nice flexitibility, but still very immature artistically. not very gifted with the phisique (too petite), definitely russian n.2 behind sotnikova
Wagner - nice energy, nice fight, but she's not in medal contention. never had a real 3-3.

At this point, I predict Sotnikova to win tomorrow, Kostner in second, Kim in third.

It's not something to be reflected in the GOE but the most :bang: thing about that 2axel to me was the fact it was almost in the same spot as the 3loop. She did the loop, skated around the rink in a small circle and did the axel. Really crappy choreo in that section.

I really miss the Gershwin SP (am probably alone in that club :biggrin:). Carroll trying to mould Gold into Kwan 2 is making me very sad. Why not try to play to her strengths instead?

Too much inflation, Gracie's 2A had not much height, not much flow (enough of a lack of flow thereof for a deduction) footwork going in, and it was timed with the music. But the lack of flow is a -1 and the inside edge is at least a -1 too. I really don't see what else this jump had. Also the 3Lz-3T was only 0 worthy, her jumps just aren't that big anymore.

She was also off-axis in the air on that 2axel. I thought the combo should have been a 0 as well (off-axis in the air on the lutz and not much flow out of it). And I had both 3loop (break after steps, not much flow out) and 2axel (all the issues described above) on -1.

zamboni step

Final Flight
She was also off-axis in the air on that 2axel. I thought the combo should have been a 0 as well (off-axis in the air on the lutz and not much flow out of it). And I had both 3loop (break after steps, not much flow out) and 2axel (all the issues described above) on -1.

Also considering your standards, the loop was under a quarter cheated.

I despise when skaters skate around in a circle and do a jump in the same spot. My main reason for disliking Polina Korobeynikova's Otonal program, not sure why but that program stands out to me.

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
Come to think of it, it is highly probable that the blue dress tradition of ladies OGMedalist will come to an end this time!!!
:agree::yes::bow: :cry:(since blue is my favorite color.....)

bebevia

On the Ice
Come to think of it, it is highly probable that the blue dress tradition of ladies OGMedalist will come to an end this time!!!
:agree::yes::bow: :cry:(since blue is my favorite color.....)
Has Carolina shown her new Bolero dress? I thought she stuck to her old black...

Amei

Record Breaker
I really hope Julia skates clean and gets that medal! She has PB in LP 10 points higher than Adelina and Carolina! I believe in her! Anyway, she is a fighter!
My dream podium would be Yuna, Julia and Adelina in any order! (sorry, but Carolina and Gracie have never been my cup of tea)

I feel I should apologize to both Julia and Mao- my dream 1-2 finishers both had issues today. I stink at picking the winning football teams to, the team I want to win never wins. :cry:

I hope both Mao and Julia, the names that had falls, skate absolutely lights out. My heart breaks for Mao because the likelihood that she comes back for another cycle is slim. - She was arguably 87 days short of being a strong contender in '06 for gold.

And I agree on Julia, if she goes out tomorrow and skates lights out, with her FS I think she could earn a bronze. And if some other people have issues, she could get silver.