2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 105 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

Dutchie

Rinkside
I agree as well. I felt the same with Michelle Kwan. Every clean performance she had in isolation were breathtaking to watch, but I think a certain level of complacency was reached in the later stages of her career where she would recycle the same footwork, spins, and choreography and it just came off to me as a little stale and boring.

I agree about Michelle's tendency to recycle parts of her programs in the later stages. However, I often wonder if that would have happened if Michelle had skated the majority of her career under COP vs 6.0. I think Michelle fell under the curse of transitioning into the new system at the most inconvenient time and instead of truly adopting it, she stuck with what worked in the past. That said, nobody will ever quite compare to Michelle Kwan, including Yuna IMO.

jkun

Final Flight
I have to agree with the poster that said Yuna's programs have become predictable. I would have hoped that after winning the OGM in 2010, that she would have progressed or pushed the sport forward somehow. Meaning, this time around, I was expecting something fresh, innovative or dynamic. She's such a lovely skater but I haven't seen much growth over the past few years. She's beautiful to watch and rightfully deserving of her marks and placement however I think she is in jeopardy of becoming overshadowed but some up and coming skaters such as Lipnitskaya if she doesn't pull something out of her bag of tricks. I guess I can relate Yuna to being the Virtue and Moir of Ladies figure skating. Beautiful and breathtaking to watch, at the top of their sport in 2010, but haven't really done much since then to advance the sport. I know it must be hard to stay at the top for so long and she deserves all the credit in the world for doing so. I just wanted to see more fire and attack out of her to really throw down the gauntlet, and for me, the night belonged to Carolina. I hope Yuna comes out guns blazing tomorrow night, but I won't be surprised if either Carolina or Adelina come out on top.

I think Yuna's consistent 3Lz/F-3T, and 2A-3T leading up to the olympics definitely influenced the new generation of skaters in 2010-2014 quad. Which, I think it is pushing the sport forward. Plus, how can one person constantly push a sport forward, do charity work, and do all sorts of other work like pushing for the 2018 olympics in korea? I think we expect too much from her sometimes..

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Well, Kostner is even more famous for her inconsistencies and look, she's in the running for a OGM. I am really proud of her, but at the same time, I know both Kostner and Asada has come a long, long way. No matter what the results are, I think I am happy that these two girls preserved when people wrote them off, and came back with a good fight.

Kostner has once been the favorite in the absence of Kim before the ISU anoints Julia for a torchbearer. Kostner today is another card for the judges after Julia, or adelia, fails. Who do you really think can check and balance Kim anyway? The agenda is a very articulated one today from the judges: whosoever stands shall have a chance. Adelina or Kostner for that matter made it at the right time

Dutchie

Rinkside
Uh, except V/M have done a lot to advance the sport. Not a good comparison.

I didn't say they haven't progressed the sport. I'm saying after winning their OGM, they haven't advanced the sport AS MUCH. I'm open to hear anybody prove otherwise. It was plain to me over the past quad that D/W took over because THEY were the ones advancing the sport more. I didn't mean to diminish their accomplishments or contribution to the sport at all. But I think it's a fair comparison to Yuna and her lack of advancement over the past quad as well.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I think Yuna's consistent 3Lz/F-3T, and 2A-3T leading up to the olympics definitely influenced the new generation of skaters in 2010-2014 quad. Which, I think it is pushing the sport forward. Plus, how can one person constantly push a sport forward, do charity work, and do all sorts of other work like pushing for the 2018 olympics in korea? I think we expect too much from her sometimes..

Haha, so true. Expectation on Kim actually did her injustice more often than not. Kostner's rehashing the old stuff never bothers us as long as she manages to make it. We are all ready to cheer, and that's human. We adore young Julia's wonky jumps and pat her on the back while restraining us from giving the due credit to her execution in almost undoable quality.

vegarin

On the Ice
Kostner has once been the favorite in the absence of Kim before the ISU anoints Julia for a torchbearer. Kostner today is another card for the judges after Julia, or adelia, fails. Who do you really think can check and balance Kim anyway? The agenda is a very articulated one today from the judges: whosoever stands shall have a chance. Adelina or Kostner for that matter made it at the right time

That's kind of how it looks right now, but that's fine. I'm just happy that both Yuna and Caro were so lovely and exquisite. Adelina is overscored, but she's wonderful and a gem.

vegarin

On the Ice
Haha, so true. Expectation on Kim actually did her injustice more often than not. Kostner's rehashing the old stuff never bothers us as long as she manages to make it. We are all ready to cheer, and that's human. We adore young Julia's wonky jumps and pat her on the back while restraining us from giving the due credit to her execution in almost undoable quality.

I know, right? She produces a clean skate, which is very difficult to do at the level she does it, and it's yet another Yuna Kim doing her stuff, like it should be a piece of cake for her to skate like this. If it's that easy, why doesn't every skater do the same? :rolleye:

Dutchie

Rinkside

I was thinking from an individual progression standpoint. Her program tonight wasn't any better than her SP from 2010. In fact, some would argue her sp from 2010 was better than tonight's program. That's my point. But I do agree we expect too much from her and not just her, but all of these skaters. We aren't on the inside looking at trainings everyday or seeing the improvements made. All we see are the competitions and the skates of that particular day so maybe it is unfair to judge skaters based on that. But we are fans of this sport and big enough fans at that to spend time on a message board discussing opinions with other fans so we must be involved enough to be picky. I love Yuna's skating and I admit I was expecting more from her.

In order to progress this sport I think it takes guts. It takes a willingness to try something new wether it be a new spin position, odd choice of music, innovative choreography or bringing the performance aspect to life. Most skaters tend to hone their skills and stay within the lines. As a defending OGMedalist, you have nowhere to go but down. So why not try something new and fresh and prove to the world that you have more to bring to the sport? That's why Yuna remaining at the top is so rare and wonderful to see, she must be doing something right. I just would have hoped over the past few years, she would have used her ability and status to do so much more than just influencing the 3lz/F-3T and 2A-3T as you said.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I think it's a fair comparison to Yuna and her lack of advancement over the past quad as well.
I guess your reference of her lack of advancement means that she doesn't lately show her progress as remarkable as she once did. If you mean otherwise, it's puzzling.

Dutchie

Rinkside
I guess your reference of her lack of advancement means that she doesn't lately show her progress as remarkable as she once did. If you mean otherwise, it's puzzling.

If you go back and watch her 2010 Olympic SP, there's a fire in her eyes. the Ability to take on the character of her program. She's invested and the whole audience becomes invested too. The meaning behind her lack of advancement doesn't mean she isn't showing progress. It simply means that she hasn't taken her performances from 4 years ago and kicked it up a notch. This was evident tonight with her program which could be described as many things.. Beautiful, breathtaking, but rather predictable. That same fire and attack I saw from this program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J-vqgWemEE wasn't there tonight.

jaylee

Medalist
In order to progress this sport I think it takes guts. It takes a willingness to try something new wether it be a new spin position, odd choice of music, innovative choreography or bringing the performance aspect to life. Most skaters tend to hone their skills and stay within the lines. As a defending OGMedalist, you have nowhere to go but down. So why not try something new and fresh and prove to the world that you have more to bring to the sport? That's why Yuna remaining at the top is so rare and wonderful to see, she must be doing something right. I just would have hoped over the past few years, she would have used her ability and status to do so much more than just influencing the 3lz/F-3T and 2A-3T as you said.

I think you are WAY undervaluing how hard it is to execute the 3Lz/3T and 3F in the SP. No other skater was able to execute that layout cleanly today. Yu-Na has remained very committed to her difficult 3/3 in the SP and FS, which is impressive, even though they're not valued enough by CoP. If that's not moving the sport "forward" since she did it last quad, at least she's not letting the sport go backwards into mediocrity.

As for odd choice of music....um, Yu-Na has had some really interesting programs from this quad, skating to music that is never used (Homage to Korea, Kiss of the Vampire) or rarely used (Send in the Clowns). You don't have to like them, but they weren't predictable choices and she tried to do something different each year. Never took the easy way out by recycling a previously popular program in order to get cheap and easy points. Never skated to a warhorse (well, I guess Les Mis is a warhorse now, but it wasn't last season). So I'm not sure what you're talking about there, either.

I think Scott Hamilton put it best:

“Now it’s really tempting to judge her, not so much against the field, but against herself,” Hamilton said. “If you feel like she maybe isn’t what she was four years ago, maybe it’s because we’ve grown accustomed to her. You’ve got to guard against that because it can create a level of prejudice, where you are not allowing her to stand on her merit but on the magic that was created four years ago.”

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
I have to agree with the poster that said Yuna's programs have become predictable. I would have hoped that after winning the OGM in 2010, that she would have progressed or pushed the sport forward somehow. Meaning, this time around, I was expecting something fresh, innovative or dynamic. She's such a lovely skater but I haven't seen much growth over the past few years. She's beautiful to watch and rightfully deserving of her marks and placement however I think she is in jeopardy of becoming overshadowed but some up and coming skaters such as Lipnitskaya if she doesn't pull something out of her bag of tricks. I guess I can relate Yuna to being the Virtue and Moir of Ladies figure skating. Beautiful and breathtaking to watch, at the top of their sport in 2010, but haven't really done much since then to advance the sport. I know it must be hard to stay at the top for so long and she deserves all the credit in the world for doing so. I just wanted to see more fire and attack out of her to really throw down the gauntlet, and for me, the night belonged to Carolina. I hope Yuna comes out guns blazing tomorrow night, but I won't be surprised if either Carolina or Adelina come out on top.
How does Lipnitskaya advance the sport? Her inflated scores, bad flute, tiny 3/3 that won't fly beyond puberty, artistry? Gumby? Thanks, but no thanks. We had Sasha, Shang.

Dutchie

Rinkside
How does Lipnitskaya advance the sport? Her inflated scores, bad flute, tiny 3/3 that won't fly beyond puberty, artistry? Gumby? Thanks, but no thanks. We had Sasha, Shang.

woa there nelly, slow down. I NEVER said Lipnitskaya was advancing the sport. I said Yuna was in danger of becoming overshadowed by skaters LIKE her. BIG difference.

Becki

Medalist
If you go back and watch her 2010 Olympic SP, there's a fire in her eyes. the Ability to take on the character of her program. She's invested and the whole audience becomes invested too. The meaning behind her lack of advancement doesn't mean she isn't showing progress. It simply means that she hasn't taken her performances from 4 years ago and kicked it up a notch. This was evident tonight with her program which could be described as many things.. Beautiful, breathtaking, but rather predictable. That same fire and attack I saw from this program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J-vqgWemEE wasn't there tonight.

I think Yuna as a skater and person has matured a lot in the past four years. Send in the Clown was slow as compared to Bonds - it's hard to compare the two programs. But Yuna said in 2010, she had something to prove and she wanted the OGM. Now, she's skating for herself with nothing to prove, which you can kind of see in her body language and expression.

Dutchie

Rinkside
I think you are WAY undervaluing how hard it is to execute the 3Lz/3T and 3F in the SP. No other skater was able to execute that layout cleanly today. Yu-Na has remained very committed to her difficult 3/3 in the SP and FS, which is impressive, even though they're not valued enough by CoP. If that's not moving the sport "forward" since she did it last quad, at least she's not letting the sport go backwards into mediocrity.

As for odd choice of music....um, Yu-Na has had some really interesting programs from this quad, skating to music that is never used (Homage to Korea, Kiss of the Vampire) or rarely used (Send in the Clowns). You don't have to like them, but they weren't predictable choices and she tried to do something different each year. Never took the easy way out by recycling a previously popular program in order to get cheap and easy points. Never skated to a warhorse (well, I guess Les Mis is a warhorse now, but it wasn't last season). So I'm not sure what you're talking about there, either.

I am not underevaluting the difficulty in these combinations. But I'm simply pointing out that advancing the sport isn't all technical. There's more to figure skating than jump combinations.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Yuna's SP is so magical. I wish it would take the honor of World Record over her James Bond.....
This program defines everything about ladies ice skating. My fave ever :((((((((((((((((((