Page 151 of 151 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151
Results 2,251 to 2,263 of 2263

Thread: 2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

Custom Title
    What a shocking competition :-/

I'm not talking about ranking positions, the judging, or the Boring Scoring Bun Fights...

What I mean is: how many of the "big names" skated at their best yesterday?
    I contend there were hardly any, and indeed there were several full-on disasters.

I'm not a fan of Kostner, but her SP yesterday was DIVINE - and for the first time, I really felt something from her performance. Sotnikova was amazing too - remember, I'm not talking about judging, points or whether you like her style... I'm just saying I don't think she could have skated any better than that.

Everybody else... just didn't bring their A-game in my opinion... and/or gave performances that left me cold or disappointed, no soul, no passion :-/

I hope today's FS will be better... and in a few cases, I really hope... with less pressure and nothing to lose... some will redeem themselves today, and salvage some pride.

Custom Title
    YuNa has push the boundary artistically.
    Lipnitskaya's choreographer, Averbukh on Yuna after the SP
    “She has so much of dignity inside. True champion’s character. Nothing like “Look at me!”. Great role model.”

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    No that was insulting and the reason skating is going down as a sport. When skating turns into beauty contest, then we are in trouble for people to get it is a very hard sport. I find Akiko adorable and inspiring. But still it doesnt matter. We are dealing with athletes here. I think twitter is an excuse to say the meanest things, it is one thing if I write it and another if a known sports commentator with thousand followers does. His legendary status doesnt excuse it either.
    Well put.
    I have my own personal issues with Twitter and other social networks in which people use it only to spit venom (or use it as free therapy). Very easy to hide behind a computer like a coward and write mean things.
    True - I've recently taken part in posting on this forum but I like to think that I'll as positive about skating as I can

On the Ice
    Finally watched the SP on NBC primetime:

1. Yu Na - toughest, most ambitious jumps along w/ the best skating skills
    2. Carolina - ethereal, beautiful; skating skills in league w/ Yu Na but perhaps behind due to slightly easier jump combos
    3. Adelina - Fiery, but not deserving of the PCS marks putting her in league w/ the above 2. Easily in 3d, though. But, it's in Russia.
    4. Gracie - Easily 4th; not nearly as bad as some make the program out to be. Despite the slightly crooked 3z, jump was still huge. Score could've been a little higher if she had done a clean 2x
    5. Ashley - Should be in front of Julia. Only mistake was significant but everything else was sold 110%
    6. Julia - 3z-3t GOE too high, but again, scoreflation due to competition in Russia.

Custom Title
    The judges did a good job, none of the top ladies has a ten point lead going into the free skate. Very exciting

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic View Post
    Finally watched the SP on NBC primetime:

1. Yu Na - toughest, most ambitious jumps along w/ the best skating skills
    2. Carolina - ethereal, beautiful; skating skills in league w/ Yu Na but perhaps behind due to slightly easier jump combos
    3. Adelina - Fiery, but not deserving of the PCS marks putting her in league w/ the above 2. Easily in 3d, though. But, it's in Russia.
    4. Gracie - Easily 4th; not nearly as bad as some make the program out to be. Despite the slightly crooked 3z, jump was still huge. Score could've been a little higher if she had done a clean 2x
    5. Ashley - Should be in front of Julia. Only mistake was significant but everything else was sold 110%
    6. Julia - 3z-3t GOE too high, but again, scoreflation due to competition in Russia.
    That's pretty much how it broke down to me.

Wish NBC Primetime had showed Polina! (Please don't tell me they did and I missed it amongst the bobsled runs.)

Agree, NYscorp6 -- this will be a nailbiter!

Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    That's pretty much how it broke down to me.

Wish NBC Primetime had showed Polina! (Please don't tell me they did and I missed it amongst the bobsled runs.)

Agree, NYscorp6 -- this will be a nailbiter!

NBC did show Polina, right before Yuna I think.

Master Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by aa456 View Post
    NBC did show Polina, right before Yuna I think.
    Yes, that is correct.

Custom Title
    Darn, stinks that I missed it. I'll have to YT it later I guess and use my Chromecast so I can see it on the bigger TV screen. Well, I am very glad to know that they did show her; she did herself proud.

I just re-watched Carolina's short, and she did something really interesting that I hadn't noticed before. She went into all her jumps with an expression of smile. In fact, she was smiling more before a jump that in other parts of the program. I wonder if it's sports psychology training---like training herself to trigger a happy, relaxed state before a jump a la Anthony Robbins? I think it worked.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabel_O'Reilly View Post
    No, if she had skated clean she would have received 71-ish (she lost 6.50 points for the triple flip), 72-ish if the spins were more stable. That fall really rattled her. Besides I think it's notable to note that this is the first time she's fallen to the ice in her three years of international competition.
    Not to say that the fall didn't rattle her, but didn't she fall at Cup of Russia 2013?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    No that was insulting and the reason skating is going down as a sport. When skating turns into beauty contest, then we are in trouble for people to get it is a very hard sport. I find Akiko adorable and inspiring. But still it doesnt matter. We are dealing with athletes here. I think twitter is an excuse to say the meanest things, it is one thing if I write it and another if a known sports commentator with thousand followers does. His legendary status doesnt excuse it either.
    Thank you, Seniorita. I don't know what was said about Akiko, however, it seems to me that she is the skater most targeted with insults regarding her "looks". I feel for her; I think she is beautiful, inside and out.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    Agreed again! I simply can't warm up to Yuna. Dick Button describes it as "pasted-on artistry." and while her arms and carriage are gorgeous, her toes are not pointed and her free leg is stiff.
    Stiff?? Have you seen Yuna skate?? She just flows on the ice. If anything I felt Carolina is always a little stiff.

Page 151 of 151 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151