2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

roxella

On the Ice
But maybe, just maybe there might be a chance for this ominous 80. Who knows maybe they'll even give it to Julia?
I hope not...she is not so good yet for receiving such a high score. She is a great jumper,but that's it...she doesn't feel the music she skates to. Maybe in four years she will deserve the gold medal,but for now..NO WAY! Just my opinion :)

RABID

Final Flight
Ladies SP start order now is posted.

Source for time schedule copied and pasted below: http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/owg14_Ladies_SP_TimeSchedule.pdf

19:00:00 - 19:07:00 Warm-Up Group 1
19:07:30 - 19:14:10 1 GLEBOVA Elena EST
19:14:10 - 19:20:50 2 PARK So Youn KOR
19:20:50 - 19:27:30 3 DALEMAN Gabrielle CAN
19:27:30 - 19:34:10 4 POPOVA Natalia UKR
19:34:10 - 19:40:50 5 McCORKELL Jenna GBR
19:40:50 - 19:47:30 6 FRANK Kerstin AUT​

19:47:30 - 19:54:30 Warm-Up Group 2
19:55:00 - 20:01:40 7 ZHANG Kexin CHN
20:01:40 - 20:08:20 8 OSMOND Kaetlyn CAN
20:08:20 - 20:15:00 9 HAN Brooklee AUS
20:15:00 - 20:21:40 10 WILLIAMS Isadora BRA
20:21:40 - 20:28:20 11 KIM Haejin KOR
20:28:20 - 20:35:00 12 EDMUNDS Polina USA

20:35:00 - 20:50:00 Resurfacing of the Ice

20:50:00 - 20:57:00 Warm-Up Group 3
20:57:30 - 21:04:10 13 RAJICOVA Nicole SVK
21:04:10 - 21:10:50 14 UKOLOVA Elizaveta CZE
21:10:50 - 21:17:30 15 GJERSEM Anne Line NOR
21:17:30 - 21:24:10 16 GEDEVANISHVILI Elene GEO
21:24:10 - 21:30:50 17 KIM Yuna KOR
21:30:50 - 21:37:30 18 WEINZIERL Nathalie GER​

21:37:30 - 21:44:30 Warm-Up Group 4
21:45:00 - 21:51:40 19 HELGESSON Viktoria SWE
21:51:40 - 21:58:20 20 MURAKAMI Kanako JPN
21:58:20 - 22:05:00 21 MARCHEI Valentina ITA
22:05:00 - 22:11:40 22 GOLD Gracie USA
22:11:40 - 22:18:20 23 LI Zijun CHN
22:18:20 - 22:25:00 24 SUZUKI Akiko JPN​

22:25:00 - 22:40:00 Resurfacing of the Ice

22:40:00 - 22:47:00 Warm-Up Group 5
22:47:30 - 22:54:10 25 LIPNITSKAYA Yulia RUS
22:54:10 - 23:00:50 26 KOSTNER Carolina ITA
23:00:50 - 23:07:30 27 WAGNER Ashley USA
23:07:30 - 23:14:10 28 MEITE Mae Berenice FRA
23:14:10 - 23:20:50 29 SOTNIKOVA Adelina RUS
23:20:50 - 23:27:30 30 ASADA Mao JPN​

Best placement for Polina. Not so sure about Yuna being so far removed from the other top flight contenders; she's likely to be a distant memory once they get their chance to dazzle. She is going to need all of her mystique and charisma haunting any wobbly decision making come the later rounds.

aragray

Rinkside
I don't think it'll happen either, but then I don't believe that the judges will hold Yuna down, just because she skates early. She is the reigning World Champion and Olympic Champion. If anyone can do it, she can. Looking at 2010, scores in the 70s were already given. For the Men, scores in the 90s were given. In 2014, 100 it is. Ok, the men have the quad now. But maybe, just maybe there might be a chance for this ominous 80. Who knows maybe they'll even give it to Julia?

i agree, i dont think the judges will 'hold' yuna down either just bc she skates early. flashback to 2010 olympics when shen/zhao won the short program despite skating first in the first group! :)

vegarin

On the Ice
I'm not too worried about Caro -- skating right after Julia, especially in SP, should highlight her skating skills and hopefully she would get comparably great GOEs (and I'm going to say team skate score is a fluke). I am a little worried about Mao and Yuna, though. I'm not sure about Mao's nerve after Adelina and skating last, and Yuna will likely be fine regardless, but she is skating early.

Kirk

Rinkside
I doubt it personally... I think that would require the judges to close their eyes and hammer the "throw points like confetti" button.

And from what we've seen so far, I don't think anyone at this Olympics is going to receive that treatment. Or if they do, I don't think it's going to be The Usual Suspects...

Actually, I have been amazed at how "fair" the judging has seemed this Olympics (so far). I have not agreed with some scores, but I also haven't felt that any were "outrageous" or way off... mostly, I think scores have been just what they should be, or very close... and skaters have ended up in the right order - especially the medal winners.

Yeah giving out Goe of 3s to stepped out throw jump by VoloTran and giving goe of 3s to sloppy and untimed not touching step sequence and first finstep by D/W and outrageous Pcs given to them, B/S and I/K are the epitome of "fair judging." ROFL.

Olympic

On the Ice
OT, but I like to speculate about who's missing that would've made it here? -

No. 3 Russian lady - Leonova, Pogorilaya (through no fault of their own)
No. 2 Swedish lady - Joshi Helgesson (also no fault of her own)
Kiira Korpi

ETA - the ladies are pretty spread out. I wonder how many will get chacked by NBC Prime Time? :scowl:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
MAO ,Land it in the competition already , I'm begging you. She just have to believe in herself thats the jizz of it .

I know this is not the place for it, but the word you're looking for is gist. Please please please don't use the word jizz and Mao in the same sentence.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Yeah giving out Goe of 3s to stepped out throw jump by VoloTran and giving goe of 3s to sloppy and untimed not touching step sequence and first finstep by D/W and outrageous Pcs given to them, B/S and I/K are the epitome of "fair judging." ROFL.
No need for such sarcasm or angst. When judging is subjective, it's inevitable that there be some contentious scores. I'm just saying that this Olympics... in my opinion... it's been about as fair as it gets.

And that is why I put the word "fair" in quotes, and used words like "mostly". I haven't seen anything (yet!) to make my blood boil... and that's unusual.

MAO ,Land it in the competition already , I'm begging you. She just have to believe in herself thats the jizz of it .
I know you used this word by mistake, but this is just too much... So unbefitting and inappropriate... :unsure: :bang: :eek:hwell:

Wait a minute. Not everyone on this board is a native English speaker or even fluent in English. When I think of the mistakes I would make if writing in French...I hope people would be patient and respectful with me.

I agree with Nagoya in hoping and praying that Mao lands EVERYTHING!

RABID

Final Flight
OT, but I like to speculate about who's missing that would've made it here? -

No. 3 Russian lady - Leonova, Pogorilaya (through no fault of their own)
No. 2 Swedish lady - Joshi Helgesson (also no fault of her own)
Kiira Korpi

ETA - the ladies are pretty spread out. I wonder how many will get chacked by NBC Prime Time? :scowl:

I was thinking that very thing while I was marveling at the BBC's FULL coverage of FS (or at least relatively so). :)

CarneAsada

Medalist
I finally know who Lipnitskaya reminds me of! She reminds me of Clove from The Hunger Games (movie version only)! Tough, rarely smiles, deadly, and will go far in the competition.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I'm not so sure. Mao usually loses her advantage in BV when she gets deductions on some of her jumps. A scenario hasn't happened when she earned her entire planned BV. On the other hand, Julia is getting credited for all of her jumps, even her borderline flutzes are being overlooked and getting plus GOE imo. She also earns a lot of GOEs for her spins.

and yet the best Julia can hope to score is 140ish in the LP and a low 70s in the short. Kim is capable of scoring way higher than that.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker

ERG, i hate it!!! They need to show Zijun and Kanako!!

Polina, Gracie, Ashley, Julia, Adelina, Yuna, Mao, Carolina are given imo... and that's a lottt of ladies to show on TV already. They usually show like 5 -___-

Idk about Akiko but then she is the Japanese Champion..

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
ERG, i hate it!!! They need to show Zijun and Kanako!!

Polina, Gracie, Ashley, Julia, Adelina, Yuna, Mao, Carolina are given imo... and that's a lottt of ladies to show on TV already. They usually show like 5 -___-

Idk about Akiko but then she is the Japanese Champion..

Well NBC showed 9 Ice Dance couples in the SP, so I totally can see them showing more of the ladies.

Why was Ukolova chosen instead of Brezinova?

She was the test skate to compete at Nebelhorn. And at Nebelhorn she won the Olympic spot. Whoever won that spot was guaranteed a place at the Olympics.

And from the Helgesson sisters, one would have expected to chose Joshi (she did much better at Europeans).

Totally. Joshi was really robbed. I love Viktoria's elegant skating but she's had a terrible season so far.

She is really fighting, what is not to love? [Asada]

The cheated jumps. I feel very uncomfortable with a skater who hardly ever fully rotates her triple jumps winning an Olympic medal let alone gold (by fully, I mean landing backwards). I know that many skaters will cheat their jumps at times.The reason why this bothers me is because in Asada's case, her jumps are a little bit short (less than 1/4) most of the time. So it's something that is engrained in her technique and not an occasional error. It's just a guess but I think it's because her timing on her take-offs is slightly 'delayed.' You could say it's a good thing that she gets some height first before rotating but the trade off for that is that it means she often struggles to fully complete the rotation.

So you think Julia Lipnitskaya's tiny little 3-3 will score the same as Yuna Kim's. Yeah, right. Not even at a Russian Nationals guest appearance would Kim's GOE on her jumps be less than Lipnitskaya's.

Kim's jumps this season are not as impressive as they used to be, though. She's had a fair amount of 'heavy' jump landings with snow sprayed this season.

I have this mental image of Lipnitskaia skating two clean programs and winning easily and Kim falling on her 3/3 combination like at Golden Spin and missing a lot of points as a result, ending up way behind. :slink:

Yulia's edge is always borderline, not obvious this season, so it comes down to the call. When it was ruled a edge change like in the team event FS, loss of 1.00 points. When ruled in her favor like in the team event FS, +1.40. Exactly as it should be.

It shouldn't really come down to the call. The judges have their own eyes and replay videos and change of edge with no call is in the deductions list.

miki88

Medalist
The cheated jumps. I feel very uncomfortable with a skater who hardly ever fully rotates her triple jumps winning an Olympic medal let alone gold (by fully, I mean landing backwards). I know that many skaters will cheat their jumps at times.The reason why this bothers me is because in Asada's case, her jumps are a little bit short (less than 1/4) most of the time. So it's something that is engrained in her technique and not an occasional error. It's just a guess but I think it's because her timing on her take-offs is slightly 'delayed.' You could say it's a good thing that she gets some height first before rotating but the trade off for that is that it means she often struggles to fully complete the rotation.

Well, if it's within that 1/4 range, I don't see what's the problem. Skaters with stronger technique will be less prone to URs and get more GOEs, so they still have an advantage in the jumps area.

Olympic

On the Ice
Well NBC showed 9 Ice Dance couples in the SP, so I totally can see them showing more of the ladies.

True. What a shocker that they actually showed 9 teams in the SD. It could be because the US had 3 entries and the US had an OGM favorite.

There are also 3 US entries in the ladies competition and this tends to be a marquee event in the US. Maybe we'll get 10 SP's? - 3 US ladies, Yu Na, Mao, Carolina, Julia, Adelina, then maybe Akiko and Kaetlyn, or even Li or Murakami ...

Well, if it's within that 1/4 range, I don't see what's the problem.

The way I see it, it's not a good jump technique. And the judges should be taking -1 off whatever GOE they establish for cheats less than 1/4.

But I guess at these OWG, there's also Lipnitskaia's quite small jumps and unclear take-off edges to pick at. ;)