Your life depends on one skater to skate well and deliver. Who do you choose? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Your life depends on one skater to skate well and deliver. Who do you choose?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm with the poster who said Irina Rodnina. Not only did she have all those wins (with two partners and the baby), she never put down a wrong foot. Literally, her music failed before she did.

LOL!

For new fans who may not be in the know, Youtube the 1973 World Championship Pairs performance by Rodnina and Zaitsev.

As we neared the Lake Placid Games, I was rooting for B/G, frankly because it would have been so great to see an American victory. Age and decreased nationalism has led me to believe that, no matter how great a fan I was and still remain, B/G wouldn't have beaten Irina, even if they had been able to skate.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Would you look at that. While everyone said Yulia, I took my leap of faith and picked Kostner and Sotnikova. And my faith was rewarded. Who landed 3 Flips? And who skated a clean 7 triple FS along with upgrading to a 3F-3T in the short? I should've taken a third leap and picked Asada too!

jkun

Final Flight
For people picking Yuna, aren't you afraid she might pop a jump in her long program, like she has done most of the time?

She has popped jumps in the past, but within the past few years, starting at Vancouver, she has really limited popping jumps. I think the only time she did was at Korean nationals 2013, but that was because she didn't have enough speed due to an early fall from footwork.

I would say that Sochi has further proved her nerves of steel in high pressure situations. I'd want her to skate for my life, if she knew about it.

moviechick

On the Ice
Also Yuna seems like the type of person who would actually want you to live and would feel bad if she failed you. lol.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Vladimir Putin

papa Putin can make dreams come true.
you never hear the word impossible.

Ven

Match Penalty
Yuna has pretty much skated clean every time she's been motivated since winning her first world title. All the big skates she's killed it every time.

Whatever you want to say about her, nobody can argue she's the most clutch skater with the biggest nerve of all time.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nope. My answer is still healthy Plushenko.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Nope. My answer is still healthy Plushenko.

Disagree with Plushenko; when the stakes were highest in the showdown with Yagudin - the perfect male figure skater in my view - Plushy blinked. Sweetest victory in figure skating. I'd pick Mishkutenok and Dmitriev to save my life with style, panache and breathtaking beauty.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see how the answer to this isn't Yuna! She stepped into an almost hostile environment and delivered an amazing skate!! She is your life saver here!

zelium

Spectator
If my (or my family's) life is at stake, how can I not go with someone who never missed the podium in his/her entire career and did perfectly clean programs in both short and long at the most stressful competition (I mean Olympics and World Championships)?

There would be millions of answers for picking great skaters or favorite skaters of all time, but the answer for this question is pretty clear to me.

Yuna Kim (Who formerly known as Yu-Na Kim :))