Your life depends on one skater to skate well and deliver. Who do you choose? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Your life depends on one skater to skate well and deliver. Who do you choose?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Plushenko pops a jump occasionally like Yuna but rarely splats the way Chan does on a regular basis. Especially if you're looking at Chan's performances when the stakes are actually high (which I assume skating for someone's life would be) it's like disaster after disaster.

I agree that Plushenko rarely falls, but if we're talking ability to follow through the program and ensure quality on every element, without potential mental errors and popping or doubling jumps, I would not choose Plushenko or Chan (although I'd certainly choose Plushenko over Chan).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Plushenko pops a jump occasionally like Yuna but rarely splats the way Chan does on a regular basis. Especially if you're looking at Chan's performances when the stakes are actually high (which I assume skating for someone's life would be) it's like disaster after disaster.

He's not consistent by any means, but interestingly enough, Chan is the (I think) only men's skater to have done a clean SP and FS in (non-National) competition this year, with all planned jump elements and zero errors (though Voronov at Euros was pretty darn close).

moviechick

On the Ice
He's not consistent by any means, but interestingly enough, Chan is the (I think) only men's skater to have done a clean SP and FS in (non-National) competition this year, with all planned jump elements and zero errors (though Voronov at Euros was pretty darn close).

Hence why I wouldn't pick any of the current men. So much performance anxiety.

Chamazing

Rinkside
Adelina Sotnikova..... ISU will start giving her a score of more than 140+ to justify that her score on Olympic is no fluke..... she will broke record every year from now on.... go ISU.... give the gold to adelina.... :biggrin:

Esopian

Final Flight
Yuna Kim. The lady has nerves of titanium & tungsten combined. It's a mystery to me how flawlessly she was able to perform in the biggest stage of her entire life. Makes you wonder what this lady is made up of... (See Chan or Yuzuru for your usual Olympics performance)

I completely agree, I would definitely pick Yuna because she's really consistent. :)

Rinkside
Yuzu! If he falls, I fall with him. (when fangirlism gets to the point where it's suicidal)

If I'm in my right mind, though, I'd say Yuna.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yuzu! If he falls, I fall with him. (when fangirlism gets to the point where it's suicidal)

If I'm in my right mind, though, I'd say Yuna.

He is much more consistent without his 4S. If he only jumps 3A then I will try my luck, but other than that I love my life so... No. Still love Yagudin and Plushy. They are big men, they can do it.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
My list

1. Yuna Kim
- never been off the podium entire career
- consistency on 3-3 probably one of the highest

2. Evgeni Plushenko
- never been off the podium since Worlds 2000
- great consistency on 4T and 3A

3. Michelle Kwan
- never lower than 4th since Worlds 1994
- often delivered 6-7 triple FS

4. Meryl Davis/Charlie White
- never off podium since Worlds 2009
- undefeated for two seasons

5. Julia Lipnitskaia
- never lower than 5th
- often skates back-to-back clean

usethis2

Medalist
After Yuna Kim, and to a lesser degree Michelle Kwan, I do take a second look when the excuse for a skater's under-performing is "ice is slippery." Clearly there are skaters who can overcome the slipperiness through hard work. The standard has risen and that excuse carries less weight from here on.

m0001

On the Ice

Chan had zero fall in 2013-2014.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I'd say Meryl and Charlie. I think they'd try really hard if they knew a life was on the line, and based on their record there'd be a safe bet that I'd survive as they haven't placed off podium since ~2009ish.