Your life depends on one skater to skate well and deliver. Who do you choose? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Your life depends on one skater to skate well and deliver. Who do you choose?

speople

Spectator
How can people say YK ? Women's FS has never been as competitive as the men's if one looks objectively.

If I was picking.

Men: No one beats Plushenko. Iin fact no one gets within visual distance of a guy that has been at or very near the top for 16 yrs even after operation after operation after operation. Like him or not, legend.

Pairs: Totmianina/Marinin. Takes more than balls to stay with a guy who dropped you like that, and then win OGM etc.

Ice Dance: Torvill and Dean (skaters will come and go, but Bolero will NEVER be topped, 6's across the board is one of the greatest moments in FS history and I was there to watch it live on tv).

Fun fact: Bolero was longer in length than the Free Skate time limit. But ISU rules stipulate that a dance doesn't start until the skates are on the ice which is why T&D are knelt down swaying from left to right for the first x seconds of the programme.

And if I had to choose from the women.

Lipnitskaya: Barely 15 yrs old, Olympic Games, massive home crowd pressure and expectation. Delivered with diamonds.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She already went through a growth spurt last year of several inches. That's what led to the stumbles on some of her jumps, and why she was injured at TEB and before the GPF causing her to withdraw. If growing several inches doesn't cause her to lose them and she can place in the top three then I doubt anything else can knock her down.

Growing several inches vertically is not the challenge. Retaining her jumps after she turns into a woman is.

Anyway, to answer the question, Plushenko. Always and forever.

In runner-up position: Max. Because at least he'd fight for my life!

mwk81

Rinkside
I'd say Yu Na Kim, and 2010 Evan Lysacek. Unlike with most, you're nerves of how they would perform would just sort of melt away once they got to the ice

Ophelia

Record Breaker
After these Olympics, I'd def. go with Yuna Kim as my pick for life-vest.

Throwing out Lipniskaia bc she has shown she's not as mentally tough (yet) as people hastily assumed she'd be.

meteorlight8

Rinkside
Yulia
Then Yuna, if she knew a life was at stake because when she needs to, she has the skate a her life.

Basically the Yuna part, if she values my life as much as the Olympics. She has a 100% batting avg when stakes are the highest, so I'd go with her for ladies.

Also a healthy Plushenko for Men (no brainer; I would trust no one else out of this Sochi2014 crowd, for good reason) and Davis/White for Dance. Not sure for pairs ... maybe Shen/Zhao; definitely not V/T as they have a history of making all sorts of "creative" mistakes - too risky.

KJGL

Rinkside
I'm with the poster who said Irina Rodnina. Not only did she have all those wins (with two partners and the baby), she never put down a wrong foot. Literally, her music failed before she did.

will74lsn

Rinkside
Re Katarina Witt -

Why is she known for her consistency? The only time I ever remember her really laying it down is '87 Worlds. It seemed like she didn't skate her best during either of her Olympic wins or any of her other World title wins.

Because at her time the other girls were soooooo inconsistent (Thomas, Sumners, Ivanova, etc) :biggrin:;)

will74lsn

Rinkside
ice dancing. D/W or Klimova/Ponomarenko
Pairs: Shen/Zhao
Men: Yagudin or Plushenko
Ladies: Kwan (at Worlds), Kim (at Olympics)