Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Your life depends on one skater to skate well and deliver. Who do you choose?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Plushenko pops a jump occasionally like Yuna but rarely splats the way Chan does on a regular basis. Especially if you're looking at Chan's performances when the stakes are actually high (which I assume skating for someone's life would be) it's like disaster after disaster.
    I agree that Plushenko rarely falls, but if we're talking ability to follow through the program and ensure quality on every element, without potential mental errors and popping or doubling jumps, I would not choose Plushenko or Chan (although I'd certainly choose Plushenko over Chan).

Rinkside
    Yuna Kim, all the way!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Plushenko pops a jump occasionally like Yuna but rarely splats the way Chan does on a regular basis. Especially if you're looking at Chan's performances when the stakes are actually high (which I assume skating for someone's life would be) it's like disaster after disaster.
    He's not consistent by any means, but interestingly enough, Chan is the (I think) only men's skater to have done a clean SP and FS in (non-National) competition this year, with all planned jump elements and zero errors (though Voronov at Euros was pretty darn close).

Custom Title
    Meryl Davis for sure.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    He's not consistent by any means, but interestingly enough, Chan is the (I think) only men's skater to have done a clean SP and FS in (non-National) competition this year, with all planned jump elements and zero errors (though Voronov at Euros was pretty darn close).
    Hence why I wouldn't pick any of the current men. So much performance anxiety.

On the Ice
    Adelina Sotnikova..... ISU will start giving her a score of more than 140+ to justify that her score on Olympic is no fluke..... she will broke record every year from now on.... go ISU.... give the gold to adelina....

generally interested fan Esopian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elistra View Post
    Yuna Kim. The lady has nerves of titanium & tungsten combined. It's a mystery to me how flawlessly she was able to perform in the biggest stage of her entire life. Makes you wonder what this lady is made up of... (See Chan or Yuzuru for your usual Olympics performance)
    I completely agree, I would definitely pick Yuna because she's really consistent.

Rinkside
    Yuzu! If he falls, I fall with him. (when fangirlism gets to the point where it's suicidal)

If I'm in my right mind, though, I'd say Yuna.

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 17399 View Post
    Yuzu! If he falls, I fall with him. (when fangirlism gets to the point where it's suicidal)

If I'm in my right mind, though, I'd say Yuna.
    He is much more consistent without his 4S. If he only jumps 3A then I will try my luck, but other than that I love my life so... No. Still love Yagudin and Plushy. They are big men, they can do it.

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar

My list

1. Yuna Kim
    - never been off the podium entire career
    - consistency on 3-3 probably one of the highest

2. Evgeni Plushenko
    - never been off the podium since Worlds 2000
    - great consistency on 4T and 3A

3. Michelle Kwan
    - never lower than 4th since Worlds 1994
    - often delivered 6-7 triple FS

4. Meryl Davis/Charlie White
    - never off podium since Worlds 2009
    - undefeated for two seasons

5. Julia Lipnitskaia
    - never lower than 5th
    - often skates back-to-back clean

Custom Title
    After Yuna Kim, and to a lesser degree Michelle Kwan, I do take a second look when the excuse for a skater's under-performing is "ice is slippery." Clearly there are skaters who can overcome the slipperiness through hard work. The standard has risen and that excuse carries less weight from here on.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Chan had zero fall in 2013-2014.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by m0001 View Post
    Chan had zero fall in 2013-2014.
    Lol, I guess he didn't fall at the Olympics but stepped out on every single axel attempt.

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    I'd say Meryl and Charlie. I think they'd try really hard if they knew a life was on the line, and based on their record there'd be a safe bet that I'd survive as they haven't placed off podium since ~2009ish.

Dick Button

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast