A Great Canadian Coach - Brian Orser | Golden Skate

A Great Canadian Coach - Brian Orser

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think Brian Orser deserves his own thread and a lot of praise.

Star-maker Orser finally gets his two Olympic gold

Thirty years ago the Canadian suffered the first of the two biggest disappointments of his sporting career taking silver in Sarajevo, and four years later again took second at his home Olympics in Calgary.

But on Friday night standing rinkside dressed in a combination of Japanese and Spanish national colours at the Iceberg Skating Palace he confirmed his status as the sport's new super coach.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
And Congratulations to Brian! He is obviously one of the top coaches in figure skating today & richly deserves all the praise he will receive. Terrific results!:clap:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Definitely; it would have been nice or be nice if he took one of Canada's skaters ie Chan and make them OGM - that would have been a nice story for the romantic in me. For years he lived in grief and in the shadow of Boitano; it would be nice if he had his time in the sun - but Boitano somehow manages to get his name out there now at Sochi and on tv. Hopefully Orser can rejoice in his accomplishments.

Brian Orser seems like he is totally invested in the success of his prodigies. To turn out Yuna Kim, followed by Yuzuru Hanyu -- that's just amazing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Definitely; it would have been nice or be nice if he took one of Canada's skaters ie Chan and make them OGM - that would have been a nice story for the romantic in me. For years he lived in grief and in the shadow of Boitano; it would be nice if he had his time in the sun - but Boitano somehow manages to get his name out there now at Sochi and on tv. Hopefully Orser can rejoice in his accomplishments.

I disagree. Chan wasn't not OGM material. Chan HAD the OGM handed to him by Hanyu and then gave it up by making a bunch of small errors in his FS. That's not something a coach can fix.

I know posters have been debating this, but how much of Hanyu winning gold is attributed to Orser's coaching? I know Hanyu had all his jump techniques down pat before he came to Orser. Could he theoretically have won as he did if he stuck with his old coach?

I know posters have been debating this, but how much of Hanyu winning gold is attributed to Orser's coaching? I know Hanyu had all his jump techniques down pat before he came to Orser. Could he theoretically have won as he did if he stuck with his old coach?

Yes, he probably could have. But Hanyu and his advisors chose to go to Orser for final polishing; they must have had a reason for this choice.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Orser has gotten a bit lucky getting talented skaters like Hanyu and Yuna when he did. He didn't train them from a young age and make them the skaters they became. He didn't even teach them the jump technique that made them Olympic champions. He did add polish though and take them to the next level.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Orser has gotten a bit lucky getting talented skaters like Hanyu and Yuna when he did. He didn't train them from a young age and make them the skaters they became. He didn't even teach them the jump technique that made them Olympic champions. He did add polish though and take them to the next level.
Well, Tarasova despite being called the "champion-maker" was never responsible for her great students from start to finish. Shizuka, Yagudin et al. already had their jump techniques when they went to Tarasova. She was there to turn them into polished, "finished" skaters.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Shizuka had never been better than 8th in the World before going to Tarasova, and most years didnt even make it to Worlds, even in years their top finisher or a person who beat her out was outside the top 15 at Worlds or Olympics (1999, 2000, 2002 Olympics). Tarasova deserves huge credit for Shizuka, moreso than maybe those other students.

VirMo

On the Ice
Well the major reason that Hanyu pursued Orser is because of Yuna but can't really say if there is a correlation. We all knew Yuna and Hanyu will be something great way before they met Orser.

louisa05

Final Flight
Well, Tarasova despite being called the "champion-maker" was never responsible for her great students from start to finish. Shizuka, Yagudin et al. already had their jump techniques when they went to Tarasova. She was there to turn them into polished, "finished" skaters.

How many elite level coaches are on the ice teaching six year olds how to skate or even ten year olds how to jump? Somehow, I doubt that at this point in their careers that that is how coaches like Tarasova, Carroll, Sato (the elder), et al...are spending their time. And coaches like Kori Ade won't be doing it anymore as her reputation grows with Jason's accomplishments.

Whatever role Brian has had in developing his skaters, something he's been doing must be working out! I suspect that Bluebonnet is right in terms of Hanyu, and it's Orser's ability to teach him how to pace himself to maintain his strength. Whatever it is, some praise for Brian O. is definitely in order. I'm glad to see this thread.

Becki

Medalist
Well the major reason that Hanyu pursued Orser is because of Yuna but can't really say if there is a correlation. We all knew Yuna and Hanyu will be something great way before they met Orser.

True - it was just a matter of time for both skaters.

peg

Medalist
Maybe. I believe without Orser, Hanyu might succeed later on but he would not have succeeded as quickly as this.
So basically, if Orser hadn't stepped in and helped Hanyu progress so quickly, Canada would have its men's figure skating gold.

Way to go, Brian ;)

elif

Medalist
Sometimes promising juniors with good jumping technique (like Tuktamisheva, Gold) can't skate like they did. He did something good with Hanyu and Kim.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Yup he is good but I don't know who's idea was it to have Javi skate to 2 godawful programs for the Olympic year. At least they could have keep his Chaplin LP. I honestly don't think Javi can top that program ever.

So basically, if Orser hadn't stepped in and helped Hanyu progress so quickly, Canada would have its men's figure skating gold.

Way to go, Brian ;)

Do you think so? Hanyu left the door wide open for Patrick to sail through and win the gold this week. Patrick wasn't able to close the deal. Brian or no Brian, Chan could have taken an OGM home to Canada. The fact that he didn't is not the result of anything Orser did.

gds102

Rinkside

totally agree.