What's with all the 6.0's??? | Golden Skate

What's with all the 6.0's???

SK8GR8

Rinkside
Is it just me, or does it seem like there are tons of 6.0's being given out this year at Worlds? It used to be you would very rarely see a skater get a 6.0 and this year it seems that the top finisher in each round has gotten at least one, and sometimes skater who did not even finish first got one! What's up?????

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The judges are certainly giving out 6.0's like there is no tomorrow... but wait! Indeed there in no tomorrow for a 6.0! :laugh: I think they are trying to fit in as many as possible before the full switch to CoP. So far, Sasha has gotten 4 6.0's for pres in short (may be legit, I haven't seen it); T&M got one for pres in short (a stretch); S&Z got 2 for tech and 10 for pres (their program was good, and I would not have been surprised by a couple of 6.0's for pres, but not like that across the board); P&T and T&M each got 1 for pres (no way were those 6.0 programs); Plushy got 4 for pres in free (not his best skate, and certainly there should not have been a 6.0 with a fall); finally, N&K got one in OD (I like N&K, but their OD is NOT a 6.0 quality). Go figure!

Last edited:

Kateri

On the Ice
Michelle did not get 4 6.0s in the short, Sasha did.

MK didn't get any....

kat.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ooops, Kat, a typo (a Freudian one perhaps?). Just corrected it.

soogar

Record Breaker
Remember how we complained about COP b/c it was new and we didn't understand it? Well now that I'm used to COP, I can't stand the 6.0 system. LET IT DIE ALREADY!!!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
The way it seems to be going, we may see something truly historic (and it's not just the record amount of 6s being thrown out). At this rate, for the first time in skating history, we just may see --

A 6.1!!

I mean, really, why not? The marks are only for placement value anyway and if they're going to throw them out randomly (and at this point meaninglessly) anyway, may as well acknowledge a true 6.0 program with a 6.1, since at this Worlds a 6.0 seems to be the equivelant of a 5.8.....

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
On those 6.0's....

Especially in ladies, mens and pairs there seems to be a lot more depth of good skaters this year than in previous years. That's a wonderful thing!! Is it possible some of the 6.0's are happening just because the judges are getting boxed in?

At any rate, I'm right in there with the Bring On The COP crowd.

DG

Michibanana

Rinkside
Michelle did not get 4 6.0s in the short, Sasha did.

Actually, the judges also apparently awarded Michelle 4 6.0s as well - they were lowered to 5.9s due to the timing deduction in her program. So for the purposes of counting how eager the judges seem to be to hand out 6.0s right now, you can count hers as well. But anyway, yeah, they are handing them out like candy. (Sasha's wow factor in her SP is very high, so I'm not really surprised that she saw some....) The one's that puzzled me the most were Plushy's. He's a great skater, but since when does a program with a fall count as a perfect program. No matter how small the disruption is, falls DO disrupt the flow of the program.

Bashful

Spectator
SK8GR8 said:
Is it just me, or does it seem like there are tons of 6.0's being given out this year at Worlds? It used to be you would very rarely see a skater get a 6.0 and this year it seems that the top finisher in each round has gotten at least one, and sometimes skater who did not even finish first got one! What's up?????

:eek: :rolleye: :confused: :mad: It was a JOKE!!! Those judges just did figure skating in.

Bashful

Spectator
Re: On those 6.0's....

Doggygirl said:
Especially in ladies, mens and pairs there seems to be a lot more depth of good skaters this year than in previous years. That's a wonderful thing!! Is it possible some of the 6.0's are happening just because the judges are getting boxed in?

At any rate, I'm right in there with the Bring On The COP crowd.

DG

They "boxed" themselves in, I wonder if it was intentional?
I guess the COP scares them, they are actually going to have to judge the skating.
:cry: My heart breaks for those poor, deluded judges.:cry:

lavender

Record Breaker
Michibanana said:
Actually, the judges also apparently awarded Michelle 4 6.0s as well - they were lowered to 5.9s due to the timing deduction in her program. So for the purposes of counting how eager the judges seem to be to hand out 6.0s right now, you can count hers as well. But anyway, yeah, they are handing them out like candy. (Sasha's wow factor in her SP is very high, so I'm not really surprised that she saw some....) The one's that puzzled me the most were Plushy's. He's a great skater, but since when does a program with a fall count as a perfect program. No matter how small the disruption is, falls DO disrupt the flow of the program.

Now Michelle gets her six sixes in the long program and she makes history by getting the last six of figure skating.

Bashful

Spectator
FINAL 6.0 TOTAL??????

Does anyone have the final total?

I'm guessing 45? Am I wrong? Am I confused? :D :confused: :confused: :\

Bashful

Spectator
FINAL COUNT IN!!!!!!!!!

Final 6.0 count, within a +/- margin of .01 percent :p

43!!! (My estimate was 45, not bad eh?):laugh:

RESULT:

Men's - Short - Zilch Long - 4

Ladies' - Short - 4 Long - 7

Pairs' - Short - 1 Long - 14

Ice Dance - Original - 1 Free Dance - 12

Total - 43

Statistical breakdown :
Lowest placing to obtain "perfect" score: 3rd Place
Highest placing obtaing "perfect" score : 1st Place (well,d-uh)
Biggest 6.0 loser - Men's short program
Biggest 6.0 winner - Pairs' long program
Discipline with funniest emotional outburst - Ice Dance
Discipline that tests our patience most - Ice Dance
Discipline that obviously needs to shape up - Men's
Discipline that needs to learn how to "share" 6.0's - Pairs'
Country that got a great send off for one of it's teams - Germany
Country whose displays of surprise and utter joy at receiving so many 6.0's are fooling absolutely nobody anymore - Russia

:\ :sheesh: :eek:

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I keep thinking it's like a close-out or "going out of business" sale! LOL!

"All 6.0s must go now! Limited supply left...then they're gone!"

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
As outrageous as 99% of those 6s were (IMO the only deserved ones were by Navka & Kostamorov, and EVEN THEN 2 or 3 would have been QUITE all right), I don't think ANY of them were NEARLY as outrageous as the 5.8s and the 5.9 given to Carolina Kostner for technical! After those 2 falls?? a 5.9?? I absolutely LOVED Peggy's comment about "It must be from her mother.":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually, given the way 6s were being thrown out right and left, I was expecting a couple of people to jump up and say "Hey! I'm in the top 4 and I skated a clean program! Where the hell are my 6s???":laugh: