Davis and White would be foolish to retire now | Golden Skate

Davis and White would be foolish to retire now

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
No matter the outcome of these Olympics, they could win at least 2 more world titles. I think they should stick around to add more to their legacy.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
Skating is something you dedicate your whole life to. I think it would be beneficial for Davis and White to branch out and try new things and have a more "normal" life, if you will. Skating is great, but they've been in the game for so many years. I think they owe it to themselves to step back after this Olympics and say "Hey, look how much we've accomplished. It's time for a new adventure." They can still stay with the sport through other outlets, like coaching or even commentary or something.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I think maybe take a few months off but no way retire now... there is not really anyone who could challenge them... If they retire they would be leaving so much on the table

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
I think maybe take a few months off but no way retire now... there is not really anyone who could challenge them... If they retire they would be leaving so much on the table

They already have an Olympic silver. Assuming they win the Olympic gold, what exactly would they be leaving on the table?

Barb

Record Breaker
And I dont think is funny or interesting for them to skate knowing they will get gold medal always

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
some of you seriously underestimate the amount of hard work and motivation that goes into being an elite athlete....

sweetskates1

Medalist
Selfish thought: if D/W stay they will help push American interest in ice dancing and catapult athleticism to the center of the sport. staying for a season or two would be wonderful for us, the new fans and the world of figure skating. I see no ceiling for them - they can rise even more this season.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Skating is something you dedicate your whole life to. I think it would be beneficial for Davis and White to branch out and try new things and have a more "normal" life, if you will. Skating is great, but they've been in the game for so many years. I think they owe it to themselves to step back after this Olympics and say "Hey, look how much we've accomplished. It's time for a new adventure." They can still stay with the sport through other outlets, like coaching or even commentary or something.

They sort of did have somewhat of a normal life since both went (or still go?) to U of M and Meryl was in a sorority. I think they should go out while they're on top though, especially since they were kind of on top back in 2010 too, just like an inch from the top lol.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
The best thing for ice dance would be D/W and also V/M stay. There a bigger difference between these skaters and I/K than the scores showed. I'm waiting for some young skaters to come out of nowhere and impress everyone, just like it happened in 2009.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
I don't want either team to stay. I hope that doesn't sound harsh .
It's been a great four years, but I want other couples to shine, both teams already got their due.
Let others have their turn.

Robeye

Final Flight
I don't want either team to stay. I hope that doesn't sound harsh .
It's been a great four years, but I want other couples to shine, both teams already got their due.
Let others have their turn.
This is not Toy Story. The athletes are not there to entertain you at your whim, until you get bored with them and decide to buy a newer action figure.
Their own wishes trump yours, I am thankful to say.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What more can they possibly want? They have 3 Olympic Medals (Gold, Silver and Bronze), multiple national and international titles. There's not much left for them to accomplish.

donezo

On the Ice
They have been juniors in university for years now. They should take some time off and actually finish those degrees!

mwk81

Rinkside
While I hope they go to worlds to defend the title, after that I think with how far they've come, and helped to bring U.S ice dancing to where it is (along with Belbin/Agosto and others), that they deserve the right to that decision. Whether they keep on going or not, its been a tremendous career and they'll be remembered for years to come

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
This is not Toy Story. The athletes are not there to entertain you at your whim, until you get bored with them and decide to buy a newer action figure.
Their own wishes trump yours, I am thankful to say.

No need to get nasty.
Like the other person said they have 3 olympic medals, what more could they want?

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'm going to admit, its going to be strange seeing Meryl and Charlie competing without having Tessa and Scott as competition at the back of your minds. The story of ice dance in the last cycle was that competitive rivalry. How will the dynamics of the competition and scoring change wothout this rivalry?

If they still have something in them to push on, then they should push on but like tessa and scott, they have had an outstanding career, bringing so much to this sport so if they retire, absolutely no shame.